Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Lounge Confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
LHR Lounge Confusion

I'm flying DTW-LHR in Delta One so arriving T3. Connecting (carry-on only) to BA in Club Europe (business) to PMI out of T5. Layover is just over 5 hrs. Will I be able to access the Virgin Arrival Lounge in T3, and is it worth visiting before the BA lounge I should have access to in T5?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:29 pm

It depends on what you are looking to do. Shower?, eat?, sleep?, work? Just check out the lounge. Me personally I would go directly to the ba lounge. Though if the spa is on your list I think the virgin spa is far better and easier to get an appointment

ba also flies out of terminal three so there is a slim chance your connecting flight goes from three
GeminisTwin likes this.

Last edited by tennessetom; Aug 24, 2018 at 4:34 pm Reason: Add
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:33 pm

There is no spa in the Virgin Arrivals lounge; just showers and breakfast. Keep in mind it closes around noon (I think at 1pm, but maybe even at 11am?). The times I’ve used it they have been able to get me in the shower immediately, which may be important to you. By other than that I have to imagine just going straight to the BA lounge will be a better experience.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Five hours is too long to stay at the airport. Even a great lounge gets old after 2 hours. I would go to The Pheasant Inn pub and restaurant just on the north side of Heathrow. It's not free (although busses in the airport zone are), but it's a nice airport-escape and you'll get a real British experience.

The VS Revivals lounge is great. Above average breakfast spread and nice shower rooms. For BA, PMI flights depart T5. The BA lounges, which you will have access to as a Club Europe passenger (the Galleries Club ones unless you're a OneWorld Emerald which entitles you to the Galleries First Lounge), are nice with decent food but are frequently crowded. My fave is the 5B lounge followed by the 5A North one. You will have access to the T5 Elemis Travel Spa which also has showers, although there might be a wait and I find them rather drab-looking as compared to the Revivals showers, but they're still fully useful. I've never tried the spa.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Hopefully you'll be able to get a fast track pass while onboard your Delta flight so that your wait at the "UK Border" will be short.

When I flew through LHR in late May (I was in PE on VS and didn't have a fast track pass), my wait in the immigration queue was 105 minutes; that was actually relatively short, as some travelers were reporting waits of up to 3 hours.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I made this exact connection last year (originated at JFK, but otherwise the same) and met a family member at Revivals before moving to T5. Immigration - even with fast track - took nearly an HOUR!

I had plenty of time like you will, but it was still maddening. Next time I would just take the connection bus to T5. Revivals was really nice, but not THAT nice.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:12 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah make sure you get a FastTrack pass. The VS lounge is small and cozy, but the time I was there very empty so easy to have space to chill, relax, have some good food and shower. I would check it out to since you'll have the time
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
There is no spa in the Virgin Arrivals lounge; just showers and breakfast. Keep in mind it closes around noon (I think at 1pm, but maybe even at 11am?). The times I’ve used it they have been able to get me in the shower immediately, which may be important to you. By other than that I have to imagine just going straight to the BA lounge will be a better experience.
You are wrong on two counts that are easily verified.

1. yes there is a spa and the treatment menu is here

2. it closes at 1.30 pm as per the website Suggesting it closes at 11am or even noon is very unhelpful
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:57 am

Ha. I didn’t feel like arguing but had the same thoughts. Why offer easy to look up info and be wrong. I think op was more interested in the nuances that can’t be easily looked up. As to fast pass it can be deceiving in that the line is shorter but there are far fewer agents so it can take longer. I highly recommend applying for trusted traveler to those that go often or don’t mind spending money to gain time.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ND76
Hopefully you'll be able to get a fast track pass while onboard your Delta flight so that your wait at the "UK Border" will be short.
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Yeah make sure you get a FastTrack pass.
As OP is connecting to PMI, which is in Spain, OP will not need to clear UK immigration unless OP decides to enter the UK (to use the VS arrivals lounge, to go to a pub, or to transfer between terminals via the train). If OP simply follows the signs and takes the airside transfer bus, there is only a security check.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Entry into UK

When I flew through LHR in late May (I was in PE on VS and didn't have a fast track pass), my wait in the immigration queue was 105 minutes; that was actually relatively short, as some travelers were reporting waits of up to 3 hours.
Of course the ultimate situation may be if you are a citizen of the UK/EU - i believe they have somewhat quicker lines with "global entry" type booths. I haven't tried those, even though i'm a dual US/UK citizen. Unsure about the trouble it might cause.. someone once said always enter a country wielding THAT country's passport. Never tried.. but it has to be less hassle than standing in the packed immigration hall for an hour..
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by heckler
Of course the ultimate situation may be if you are a citizen of the UK/EU - i believe they have somewhat quicker lines with "global entry" type booths. I haven't tried those, even though i'm a dual US/UK citizen. Unsure about the trouble it might cause.. someone once said always enter a country wielding THAT country's passport. Never tried.. but it has to be less hassle than standing in the packed immigration hall for an hour..
On my trip through LHR in May, there was essentially no line to go through the automated gates reserved for UK/EU citizens.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

For future reference: if you are in PE on VS and are a Delta PM or DM you can request a fast track pass. I have done so several times; the FAs have never hesitated to give one to me.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The earlier you get to the BA Galleries lounge the more likely there's still an Elemis treatment available (with a 5 hour layover your odds are better than most). So I'd head right over there if it was me.
GeminisTwin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gig103
The earlier you get to the BA Galleries lounge the more likely there's still an Elemis treatment available (with a 5 hour layover your odds are better than most). So I'd head right over there if it was me.
treatments at the BA elemis spa are restricted to passengers on long haul flights only. OP is Flying short haul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.