Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Clever ways to get around $3000 reticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clever ways to get around $3000 reticketing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by pvn
That's an easy one to hedge against. The friend is clearly going to need a ticket to get past security, so just buy the ATL-JFK ticket. He scans the OP's BP at the podium, and uses his own ATL-JFK BP for a gate check, if any. Cancel after boarding.

The docs check for OP's ticket is basically insurmountable, though.
Can you CANCEL after boarding? I didn't think so. If you could lots of people would be doing this and getting free rides.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:24 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Can you CANCEL after boarding? I didn't think so. If you could lots of people would be doing this and getting free rides.
In this case the person would have his own ticket on the flight and the OP's boarding pass.

He would board using the OP's boarding pass, then cancel his own ticket.

Totally hypothetically, of course.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Delta not only makes me enter passport information every damn time I check in for an international flight (even though it is saved to my profile) - but they will also call me up to the podium to check again. It's a very annoying process.
That's not how it works for me. I entered it once into my profile and during online-check-in it get automatically populated.

Yes, it gets checked at the airport everytime, but I don't see that as a big deal. You can do it at the podium, or you can do it with any self-serve kiosk at the airport, or with any skyclub agent.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TommyD2
Not sure if you normally hit a SkyClub before your international flights, but if you do have the agents there do the passport check when you are checking into the club and you won't get called up to the podium.

Also, I used to have to re-enter passport info, but for some reason my last few trips it was all done automatically from my profile. (Hmm, just renewed passport a few months ago, maybe that had something to do with it)
I used to do the SkyClub stop, but nowadays when I'm leaving for an int'l flight, I'll go check in at the ticket counter upon arriving at the airport (ATL). I do this even if my first flight is domestic to the int'l gateway, and even if not checking any bags.

Results in no call-up to the gate podium and the ATL ticketing desks issue BPs on the thicker card stock vs. the flimsy receipt paper that's made its way into most Sky Clubs. I don't know why, but I like having the more sturdy BP for an int'l flight.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by pvn
In this case the person would have his own ticket on the flight and the OP's boarding pass.

He would board using the OP's boarding pass, then cancel his own ticket.

Totally hypothetically, of course.
ok I get the distinction. Still not clear on cancelling after boarding starts and sure wouldn’t want to count on executing that from an airplane seat during boarding. Probably better odds in Vegas.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:36 pm
pvn
Suspended

I've cancelled a (real) ticket after boarding started but before departure (obviously I had not boarded.

IN any case, in this EXTREMELY HYPOTHETICAL scenario, you could probably cancel after getting through security, I don't remember TSA ever actually scanning boarding passes during a gate check, though admittedly that hasn't happened to me in a couple of years.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Why the "XXX" ? Does anyone really care where you are flying to Not trying to be snarky but if you told us your destination we could help more.

What about your friend who is willing to illegally take your first leg? How is that poor eff going to get home?

Odd post.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:35 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
What about your friend who is willing to illegally take your first leg? How is that poor eff going to get home?
a one-way ticket? That seemed like the least complicated part of the story.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was under the impression that if the passport is scanned in a Kiosk, you don't need to go through the documents check as long as you don't need a visa for the international destination. At least that's what happened after I scanned my passport in a Kiosk, which shows now as "Verified by Delta" on my profile. In the past, either the SkyClub or the Gate Agent always asked me to see my passport but this doesn't happen anymore when traveling to the same destination.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:00 pm

If your passport in already “in the system” you can just scan it at the kiosk and you will not have to show it for the first segment but Delta wants to know you have it with you so you do need to scan it at the airport or you will be called up. So the friend would in theory need the passport to scan but wouldn’t need to show it to the gate agent for the domestic segment when said friend is using your ticket. Lying and cheating is a complicated and complex state of affairs!!!!!!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I was under the impression that if the passport is scanned in a Kiosk, you don't need to go through the documents check as long as you don't need a visa for the international destination. At least that's what happened after I scanned my passport in a Kiosk, which shows now as "Verified by Delta" on my profile. In the past, either the SkyClub or the Gate Agent always asked me to see my passport but this doesn't happen anymore when traveling to the same destination.
Yeah, this seems like the obvious way to do the Doc Check (just don't involve a human), but given that there's a redeye option back to ATL that actually works, I'd highly encourage that approach as to flying your friend back and forth between ATL and JFK given that Delta will be really unhappy if they somehow catch you and the TSA might at least take some unhealthy interest even if it turns out you didn't do anything technically illegal.
SDQBound and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by jordyn
Yeah, this seems like the obvious way to do the Doc Check (just don't involve a human), but given that there's a redeye option back to ATL that actually works, I'd highly encourage that approach as to flying your friend back and forth between ATL and JFK given that Delta will be really unhappy if they somehow catch you and the TSA might at least take some unhealthy interest even if it turns out you didn't do anything technically illegal.
Yes, I can't believe OP was even considering the fly a friend option when he had an acceptable option with the redeye.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
You need to have your passport scanned for all international DL itineraries. Your BP either says "DOCS OK" or "Intl-Verify Passport". You will be asked to show passport with latter. The workaround, although not recommended, is to apply for second passport from State Dept. You need a reason but you can have two passports. Your friend can check in, if you two resemble each other, with your second passport.
I would assume that the scanning of passports reads their numbers and expiration dates too. I'm not sure you can fly different DL segments in the same direction of the same international itinerary using different passports from the same country. Otherwise, someone could lose the one containing the visa and then have problems entering foreign countries with visa requirements.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Yes, I can't believe OP was even considering the fly a friend option when he had an acceptable option with the redeye.
I'd been assuming OP had made that suggestion in jest and all the conversation here was just extrapolating the hypothetical.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'd been assuming OP had made that suggestion in jest and all the conversation here was just extrapolating the hypothetical.
This. But I'm glad it spawned some nefarious discussion of options

I booked the crappy connecting red-eye and will be enjoying my short vacation after two miserable back-to-back red-eyes in Y.
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.