Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Post Booking Upgrade to PE on only 2 flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

I have a potential trip and being a DM I will get C+ on all flights immediately after booking. The other flights I'd like to purchase PE. However during booking you can only select 'all' flights and it puts you into C+ in all flights plus PE.

I know sometimes you can choose only one seat post booking. Anyone had experience with this?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm confused. You're basically saying that you're booking several flights, some with C+ and some with PE, and you want to do the following:
- Flights with C+: Book Main Cabin and get the DM medallion upgrade to C+
- Flights with PE: Book directly into PE

If these are connecting flights, like say XXX-DTW-AMS, chances are you're booking a PE through fare XXX>>AMS which simply places you in C+ on XXX-DTW. The only way I know of to book main cabin on XXX-DTW would be to break the fare so you're paying XXX-DTW and then, separately, DTW-AMS. Might be possible, but you'd probably have to call in and it very well may be more expensive than just booking outright.

Alternately, you can book main cabin all the way through, then call in after (or see if there's a post-booking offer online) to upgrade the int'l flights to PE.

FWIW, and granted it's not the same, but I've been booking a good amount of VS PE lately and the pricing doesn't seem like there would be a huge amount of savings by taking the two US-domestic flights down to main cabin. Granted, likely a completely different market than what you're looking at.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Correct. It's 1000/each way to do the entire trip in "PE"(as Delta sells it). That's more than it would be for most flights. I'd rather not pay for a bunch of C+ just to get PE on the other flight.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Correct. It's 1000/each way to do the entire trip in "PE"(as Delta sells it). That's more than it would be for most flights. I'd rather not pay for a bunch of C+ just to get PE on the other flight.
Even though pricing doesn't work this way, whats the price if you were to try and book just the PE leg originating at the connecting airport? I bet it costs more. Realistically you aren't paying more for the C+ seats, you're paying for a PE fare, which happen to include C+ seats on any connecting flights. If you are really adamant about flying main cabin, you will need (as a previous poster said) to break the fare and due to DL's married segments logic, this will likely need to be booked as separate tickets. If that comes out cheaper, go for it, DL typically protects people on separate tickets in IRROPs (as long as all are on DL). Or, book it as a main cabin and see if the website offers to let you upgrade the segments you want to PE.
gooselee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.