Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does Delta Follow itís Own Upgrade Rules

Does Delta Follow itís Own Upgrade Rules

Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:46 am
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 26,695
Doesn't request time come into play? If so the few seconds between booking passengers one's and two's ticket could cause the issue when on 1 PNR.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:40 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Posts: 266
Has OP actually taken the flight details and submitted a request of information to Delta? I had the same issue not to long ago with the person sitting next to me, and after I submitted all the facts, received an answer back from Delta within two weeks or so. In my case the guy next to me in a lower fare class but above me on the upgrade list, had a corporate account number in his reservation, which put him ahead of me within the same medallion level. Mystery solved.
Christefan is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:40 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,990
Originally Posted by Christefan
Has OP actually taken the flight details and submitted a request of information to Delta? I had the same issue not to long ago with the person sitting next to me, and after I submitted all the facts, received an answer back from Delta within two weeks or so. In my case the guy next to me in a lower fare class but above me on the upgrade list, had a corporate account number in his reservation, which put him ahead of me within the same medallion level. Mystery solved.
Odd since that still breaks Delta's published rules. Medallion and then Fare Class trump everything else. Below that it is Reserve Card, Corp Travel, MQD waiver, and time of booking.

With that said, they do say "Fare Group" rather than "Fare Class" - no idea if their system looks at, e.g., M and B fares together as being equal (although I doubt that it does - that would require more logic and doesn't make sense why they would implement it).
ethernal is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:36 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 56
I know it is anecdotal, but it always seems like I am higher on the upgrade list than usual after a bad delay (like after I got diverted to PDX during that plane theft fiasco in SEA, where I was somehow number 1/32 as PM on my next flight), just seems unlikely I would ever be 1/32 as a PM, as most of the times I see an upgrade list above 15-20 I am at best like 2 or 3. I don't know, I have had very good luck with upgrades on DL this year, but very bad luck with delays on DL this year, perhaps they are related?
guam17 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:35 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Posts: 574
1MM , Delta forgot me...

I am also a NW/DL Million Mile flyer. Recently the 1MM notation was gone from my Delta profile. No one at Delta Skymiles know why, never the less they say they cannot do anything about it.???
It is just as well. They have a very poor program.
2old4coach is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:27 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Posts: 2,988
Originally Posted by guam17
I know it is anecdotal, but it always seems like I am higher on the upgrade list than usual after a bad delay (like after I got diverted to PDX during that plane theft fiasco in SEA, where I was somehow number 1/32 as PM on my next flight), just seems unlikely I would ever be 1/32 as a PM, as most of the times I see an upgrade list above 15-20 I am at best like 2 or 3. I don't know, I have had very good luck with upgrades on DL this year, but very bad luck with delays on DL this year, perhaps they are related?
The system gives priority to IRROP ed medallions for upgrades

So many examples - recently I was rebooked to a later DTW-DFW after a delay; they rebooked me in main on the next flight, and with 1 seat left open and 9 medallions on the list, it instantly cleared me into the last F seat immediately after rebooking

I frequently immediately clear after rebooking on IRROPS- it's all about the coding the system reads as to whether you were inconvenienced, irroped, etc and agents can influence this during rebooking
btonkid12345 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:49 am
  #52  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep. / Washington, DC
Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Posts: 4,628
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The system gives priority to IRROP ed medallions for upgrades

So many examples - recently I was rebooked to a later DTW-DFW after a delay; they rebooked me in main on the next flight, and with 1 seat left open and 9 medallions on the list, it instantly cleared me into the last F seat immediately after rebooking

I frequently immediately clear after rebooking on IRROPS- it's all about the coding the system reads as to whether you were inconvenienced, irroped, etc and agents can influence this during rebooking
I had a similar situation on IAD-ATL not too long ago. I cleared at the PM window and received a delay notification 4 hours before the flight. I was moved to DCA-ATL and the upgrade list showed me as #4 for 4 seats, but a few minutes later I cleared into F despite being #4 , the rest of the list remained the same.
SDQBound is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:26 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC, ROC, HNL, PEN, BKK, KUL, SIN (check out http://my.flightmemory.com/kkua)
Programs: DL Diamond charter member; 2 million miler (45% from NWA, 2MM achieved 5/2018)
Posts: 682
Just joined in the thread. Yes, I concur and can confirm. I've seen this happen to me on about 90% of my LGA-ATL and ATL-LGA flights. About 121 hrs prior to the upgrade window, I would see J/C/P/F/A/G class availability for sale and look at the seat availability map. Then at 118 hrs prior, I can verify that the seat decrease for sale in J/C/P/F/A/G corresponds to the additional assigned assigned in domestic first class.

What I cannot confirm is if this also happens to married segments, open-jaw trips, stopovers or joined end-on-end ticketed fare rules.

My take: a DM/MM (or DM/2M, DM/3M) is more prone to switch flights and use their same-day-confirmed or stand-by priviledges instead of flying as ticketed. Hence, the system would not provide auto upgrades for DM/MM passengers. On the upside, I'm usually #1 or #2 on the upgrade queue and get upgraded about 50% of the time on this route.
kkua is offline  
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:40 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SAN
Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Posts: 322
How did the OP book the ticket? I know that through my business reservations are not officially ticketed right away, and even some reserved before others can be ticketed after..
BusinessElite25 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:27 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The system gives priority to IRROP ed medallions for upgrades

So many examples - recently I was rebooked to a later DTW-DFW after a delay; they rebooked me in main on the next flight, and with 1 seat left open and 9 medallions on the list, it instantly cleared me into the last F seat immediately after rebooking

I frequently immediately clear after rebooking on IRROPS- it's all about the coding the system reads as to whether you were inconvenienced, irroped, etc and agents can influence this during rebooking
Sorry, I perhaps didn't write my comment well. I meant the next flight following a bad delay (not an IRROP flight change). For example, after getting diverted to PDX during the plane theft, I got upgraded on my next flight to SLC at -5 (a flight I take frequently and almost never get upgraded, let alone 5 days out). I am sure it is probably just coincidence, but my upgrade percentage following a bad delay is like 100% this year (granted some of these are flights I always get upgrades on, e.g. SEA-GEG/BOI/RDM), but some were hub routes (LAX, SLC, ATL). Also, I have had a lot of really bad delays with DL this year (probably by a factor of like 5 compared to last year).
guam17 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:53 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 4,413
This seems to be as good a place as any to report that my recent flight went out with 2 empty F seats. Sunday 8/19, JFK-PHX 20:30 scheduled departure. I find it hard to believe that there were no medallion members in economy or C+. I was in paid F, so I wasn't upset since nobody was reclining into my space, but it did surprise me.
Gig103 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:13 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 7,191
Originally Posted by LBJ
A companion on the same PNR as you will have the same upgrade priority as you. If you check-in together, you will only upgraded together. However, if you check-in separately, you can be upgraded independently.
Are you sure that if you check in together either both will get upgrade or either neither pax will? That is a biggie then, as normally there is one seat left, so impossible for both to be upgraded, but one can be. So I've had cases where my upgrade clears (last F seat), and companion doesn't. Now I am thinking, if we both checked in together, would that not have been possible and instead of us being 1 and 2 on upgrade list, would we have been 2 and 3, or otherwise #3 on the UG list would get it instead of me (#1) or my companion (#2)?

if you are sure, this is something that is quite important (basically, the lesson being, always check in separately, never together, if you want a real chance at upgrade).
RealHJ is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:16 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MSN
Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Are you sure that if you check in together either both will get upgrade or either neither pax will? That is a biggie then, as normally there is one seat left, so impossible for both to be upgraded, but one can be. So I've had cases where my upgrade clears (last F seat), and companion doesn't. Now I am thinking, if we both checked in together, would that not have been possible and instead of us being 1 and 2 on upgrade list, would we have been 2 and 3, or otherwise #3 on the UG list would get it instead of me (#1) or my companion (#2)?

if you are sure, this is something that is quite important (basically, the lesson being, always check in separately, never together, if you want a real chance at upgrade).
I think once you are checked in and on the gate upgrade list, you are cleared individually. Some gate agents might ask you what to do if there is only one seat.
blitzcon is offline  
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:23 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 7,191
Originally Posted by blitzcon
I think once you are checked in and on the gate upgrade list, you are cleared individually. Some gate agents might ask you what to do if there is only one seat.
Thanks...that's what I thought. I didn't think that you have to check in separately in order not to lose your upgrade priority, if it's the all-too-frequent for DMs situation where there is only upgrade seat left (the one seat that DL blocks for irrops and doesn't sell), so the only way to get an upgrade is if you are #1 on the list.

For connecting flights not really a chance for the GA to ask you, as by the time you get to the gate boarding is already in full swing. I certainly hope they don't and then give it to #3 on the list.
RealHJ is offline  
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:39 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: DTW / SJC
Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 757
Another instance of upgrade weirdness...
aacar is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.