Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta baggage debacle- any advice from the pros?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta baggage debacle- any advice from the pros?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm a little confused . . . .

You admit that there were weather IROPS, and they likely had many bags displaced, and you still feel that they should have been able to get your bags to you exactly when you wanted them - or else, pay $150 for your round trip taxi to get them?

As for "exactly"- within 24 hours would have worked. I didn't ask for them by 1:22am.

I've traveled millions of miles and have had situations like this before. But never has an airline told me it was going to take 2 DAYS to receive bags. Do you think that's reasonable? Because I don't.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
As for "exactly"- within 24 hours would have worked. I didn't ask for them by 1:22am.

I've traveled millions of miles and have had situations like this before. But never has an airline told me it was going to take 2 DAYS to receive bags. Do you think that's reasonable? Because I don't.
It depends on the circumstances. Normal? No. Massive bad weather? It happens, which is why I have learned the hard way, over the years, never to check thingz I can't get along without for the next 3-5 days.

I was stuck in the Paris Snomageddon for 3 days. <there are worse places to be stuck for 3 days! > I didn't get my bags at home in PIT for something like 2 weeks!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This sounds as though it was the time parameter imposed by OP which created the problem. With a standard separated bag on DLS, the bag would simply go on the next shuttle (in the AM) and have been delivered in due course across the morning to OP wherever he was (presuming that he was in NYC). While most carriers at the NYC airports will say that it might take up to 2 days, it won't. The courier system is fairly well developed and the area is finite.

Having made the time demand, it is hard to see why DL is on the hook for the self-imposed trip to JFK and the taxis to & from.

I agree with the above that demanding reimbursement is the wrong way to go. Much easier to take a voucher and be done with it.
TerryK and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
This sounds as though it was the time parameter imposed by OP which created the problem. With a standard separated bag on DLS, the bag would simply go on the next shuttle (in the AM) and have been delivered in due course across the morning to OP wherever he was (presuming that he was in NYC). While most carriers at the NYC airports will say that it might take up to 2 days, it won't. The courier system is fairly well developed and the area is finite.

Having made the time demand, it is hard to see why DL is on the hook for the self-imposed trip to JFK and the taxis to & from.

I agree with the above that demanding reimbursement is the wrong way to go. Much easier to take a voucher and be done with it.
Shockingly, I agree with everything in this post!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:35 pm

I have never had an airline tell me it would take two days but I have had it take two days when I was told four hours plenty of times. And I could tell you about hundreds of other times I have been “wronged” by an airline. All of us that fly have been. You need to get beyond your outrage Something went wrong. Call delta explain to them you have given them no chance yet to make it right so My advice is call and explain leaving the outrage and words such as debacle out of it and they will take care of you. Otherwise send in the receipts and hope for the best. But as a seasoned traveler, I find calling, asking for what I want and being calm and reasonable as I do so works wonders in most cases.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well, there were no more flights to LGA that day so it wasn't really that voluntary.

As for picking them up the next day, I needed things in the bag for New York.

I chose based on a lack of choices. There were no other flights operating that day to LGA. It was clearly an IRROPS situation....

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
In this case, OP was on a paid F ticket. So they absolutely should have taken care of getting the bags to them.

--Apparently no longer as I was downgraded (huh?). But agreed.

Generally, I believe standbys can only be added up to 30 minutes out at most stations. Doors close somewhere between 10-15, but sometimes less, from departure. If OP was standby 30 minutes from departure, DL had plenty of time to find the bags. If they decide not to, and they allow the customer to change airports, yes, they and any other airline should absolutely make sure the customer is reunited with their bags, at the airline's expense.

-- This is exactly what happened. They actually had 45 minutes but I was told in the Skyclub that "normally we would have time but it's crazy down there and we can't today".

--It was not really voluntary. There were no further flights to LGA that day.

Deliver them to the OP - Fine. Deliver them when the delivery service is able to get them there! But, if the OP needs them by a certain time the next day, I don't think Delta would have to pay $150 for the OP to take a taxi to the airport and back to get the bags.

Well wasn't that simple. What they told me was that they could not guarantee I would receive them until Monday since there were thousands of bags awaiting delivery. Since my flight was leaving on Sunday night that wasn't really possible.

The OP still hasn't chimed back in to tell us why he couldn't simply leave the bags with Delta at JFK and pick them up on the way to Paris.

Three reasons- the primary one being I needed things in there that would stay in NYC. The second was that between JFK mismanagement and CDG mismanagement it wasn't a very attractive proposition. Oslo to Zurich? Maybe. Third reason, I would have had three bags sitting in T4 (open, for anyone to grab-- there is nobody there checking tags as I found out...) to lug back to T1 the next day....if they were still there.

Sorry for the sloppiness... haven't figured out this multi-quote reply function.. my answers are above.
The bag wouldn't have just been left on the bag belt. It would have been taken to the bag office. Also T4 bag belt isn't out in a truly accessible by anyone area. It's recessed back down a hallway. There's also employees who question anyone walking towards the area from outside. Absent going to the bag office there's no reason to be walking that direction. Thus little risk for the short period bag would even be on the belt. T4 is one of the few claim belts I don't worry about bags disappearing at due to layout.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1

Well when the people at the DL baggage counter tell you you won't receive it for two days, do you think it would be logical for me to assume I would receive them the next day?
Expecting to receive bags within 24 hours isn't exactly a demanding time parameter.......
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The bag wouldn't have just been left on the bag belt. It would have been taken to the bag office. Also T4 bag belt isn't out in a truly accessible by anyone area. It's recessed back down a hallway. There's also employees who question anyone walking towards the area from outside. Absent going to the bag office there's no reason to be walking that direction. Thus little risk for the short period bag would even be on the belt. T4 is one of the few claim belts I don't worry about bags disappearing at due to layout.
Wrong. When I went to JFK to pick them up they were laid out along the wall- the office was full because of the number of bags. Nobody was watching over the bags and nobody asked me anything when I left. I could have easily walked off with anyone's bag.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Wrong. When I went to JFK to pick them up they were laid out along the wall- the office was full because of the number of bags. Nobody was watching over the bags and nobody asked me anything when I left. I could have easily walked off with anyone's bag.
This is how it usually is. You arrived at what, 1am? If they were along the wall they had been moved obviously and were being worked. 1am when stick out like a sore thumb, and that few, if any bags would be arriving isn't when someone is going to be going to steal bags. Nothing is 100% certain, but the setup at T4 is one of the better. Having one way in and one way out down a lengthy hallway isn't the easy setup a thief is looking for.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is how it usually is. You arrived at what, 1am? If they were along the wall they had been moved obviously and were being worked. 1am when stick out like a sore thumb, and that few, if any bags would be arriving isn't when someone is going to be going to steal bags. Nothing is 100% certain, but the setup at T4 is one of the better. Having one way in and one way out down a lengthy hallway isn't the easy setup a thief is looking for.
They were not being worked- they were overflow. And unattended. In a normal world people have to show a baggage tag to take a bag- not just walk up and grab one which is the case in the US a lot of the time.
Whether you think thieves would operate at 1am is irrelevant; what is relevant is there was no supervision and no verification of anything. Not of me going in, not of people inside, not of people leaving with whatever bags. Sorry but I'm not comfortable with that.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
In a normal world people have to show a baggage tag to take a bag- not just walk up and grab one which is the case in the US a lot of the time.
This is really the case in the world, not just the US, a lot of the time. After 20 years of flying 100k plus miles each year, I can count on one hand the number of times I had to show a baggage tag to get a bag. And two of those were in Las Vegas.

I think the term "debacle" is a bit strong here, no? It was a definite inconvenience, but since the bag was actually there I don't think it was quite a debacle. But I could be wrong.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
This is really the case in the world, not just the US, a lot of the time. After 20 years of flying 100k plus miles each year, I can count on one hand the number of times I had to show a baggage tag to get a bag. And two of those were in Las Vegas.

I think the term "debacle" is a bit strong here, no? It was a definite inconvenience, but since the bag was actually there I don't think it was quite a debacle. But I could be wrong.
Well I can tell you after visiting 120 countries in 25 years, in 100% percent of my experience bags are never accessible from the street; they are always in a secure area. And 99% the time outside of the US I have had to show a baggage tag and ID to pick it up at the airport. This is not the case in the US where the security for bags is ridiculously lax (while all other forms of security are ridiculously exaggerated).

As for my choice of words I focused on one element- the delay- and not several others that I did not need any insight on (i.e. missing and damaged items).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
I think the term "debacle" is a bit strong here, no?
EVERY issue & problem on FlyerTalk is a debacle!

Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Well I can tell you after visiting 120 countries in 25 years, in 100% percent of my experience bags are never accessible from the street; they are always in a secure area. And 99% the time outside of the US I have had to show a baggage tag and ID to pick it up at the airport.
Gotcha. That's different then saying you have to match your bag tag with them. I agree they are not accessible from a street. But at very few airports (US or International) do you actually have to show your bag tag to pick up a bag. Apologies if I misunderstood your point.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
EVERY issue & problem on FlyerTalk is a debacle!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Well, with the exception of the 90k Iberia points posting to my account and the various mistake fares, I have to agree!

You made me burst out laughing....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.