Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by dmac7273
Helpful answers are one thing, but I find these types of statements to be more ridicule the anything else.
To be fair, it's still true.

I'd venture a guess that very, very few of us have the high-performance computing power necessary to aggregate and analyze fare data for hundreds of thousands of origin/destination pairs on hundreds of days.

And back to OP's original statement, yes, I do find it annoying when my "preferred" carrier is so much more expensive on a non-stop route shared by a competitor. But I either wait for the price to fall (which it sometimes does), or I just book the other airline. Loyalty isn't worth it for 50-80% cost savings.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:38 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
We all have the computing power necessary. WE don't have access to the data.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:24 pm

Delta generates a revenue premium over AA/UAL because of better operating statistics. The premium is however not that big. The airlines are not very far apart in overall revenue per ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Helpful answers are one thing, but I find these types of statements to be more ridicule the anything else.
So we should let non factual things stand in the effort of being nice?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
IME, I often see on most routes out of MCO DL match UA and AA regular MC fares as BE fares and charge $30-$45 more OW for MC on DL (These are on routes where none of the big 3 fly non-stop typically). I often even see this on higher fares like L and K fares, not just cheap U/T/X/V fares.
MCO I always assumed was almost DELTA's home turf in a sense with two non-stops to Europe and a bunch of other routes like LAX and SEA.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I want to thank roughly 80% of the responses here, they are quite helpful, and give me a different perspective to look at.

If anyone has the proprietary info of multi billion dollar airlines about how they price their flights please forward it to me and I am happy to process the numbers.

I am pretty smart though so if I had all the info I wouldnt be asking here and would be figuring it out for myself, contrary to some peoples belief I am not.... :P
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
FlyerTalk is so predictable sometimes. Instead of offering the OP some helpful thoughts, way too many people are quick to criticize how he hasn't processed prices for thousands of routes yet, so he needs to just shut up and leave.

Where's the humanity y'all? Not everyone here is an expert flyer and it doesn't help to just criticize what you might consider a dumb question.

#HelpNotHate
Luckily I have pretty thick skin
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I want to thank roughly 80% of the responses here, they are quite helpful, and give me a different perspective to look at.

If anyone has the proprietary info of multi billion dollar airlines about how they price their flights please forward it to me and I am happy to process the numbers.

I am pretty smart though so if I had all the info I wouldnt be asking here and would be figuring it out for myself, contrary to some peoples belief I am not.... :P
I don't think anyone is saying you're dumb. Instead that no one person could do the analysis on their own. DL hires more than one analyst for this reason.

Finally, there's more to revenue pricing than scheduled travel time. On time flights, corporate conteacts, IRROP recovery, etc all play into what Delta prices.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
FlyerTalk is so predictable sometimes. Instead of offering the OP some helpful thoughts, way too many people are quick to criticize how he hasn't processed prices for thousands of routes yet, so he needs to just shut up and leave.

Where's the humanity y'all? Not everyone here is an expert flyer and it doesn't help to just criticize what you might consider a dumb question.

#HelpNotHate
​​​​​​
I'm showing up a day late and a dollar short, but have to say I found most of the posts between OP and yours pretty informative. RM sounds like a very complicated system but I got some good insights here. I never thought about wanting to keep traffic into a hub available for international connections, for example.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Delta generates a revenue premium over AA/UAL because of better operating statistics. The premium is however not that big. The airlines are not very far apart in overall revenue per ticket.
Most analysts believe that Delta's revenue premium is primarily a consequence of the structure of Delta's route network and less with their better operating statistics. On average, Delta faces less competition in their routes leading to more pricing power.

The better operating statistics probably don't hurt though.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Most analysts believe that Delta's revenue premium is primarily a consequence of the structure of Delta's route network and less with their better operating statistics. On average, Delta faces less competition in their routes leading to more pricing power.

Being based out of ATL, this definitely seems true. Delta holds 80%+ of the local market and faces little or no competition on most routes, so they can charge a premium.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Being based out of ATL, this definitely seems true. Delta holds 80%+ of the local market and faces little or no competition on most routes, so they can charge a premium.
amended that for you ...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP specifically said markets where DL competes with other legacies on. The reality is that ATL is unique in DL's structure and the other hubs don't have near the level of dominance in markets where it competes with other legacies. Out of DTW, I find DL fares to be generally in-line with AA/UA fares on non-stop routes where they compete. ATL is certainly DL's largest hub, but it's not DL's only hub. So let's not overgeneralize to DL's other hubs.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ethernal

The does not explain why they operated at 90 cents on the dollar compared to other airlines when they ran a crappy airline. Corporate accounts are very sensitive to operational reliability and Delta has done very well the last 5 years in that department.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
We all have the computing power necessary. WE don't have access to the data.
Not all of it from the carrier's side, for sure that's proprietary, but much of it (i.e. avg fare per route, and most expensive carrier per toure) is available from the BTS or DOT. (Bureau of Transportation Statistics).

It's still a ton of data and would would require significant work to determine one-off anecdotes vs. normal pricing.

https://www.bts.gov/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.