Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX companion cert - only companion takes return flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat

Is it possible to just have my companion take the return flight, meaning if I don't show up will both tickets be canceled? Or will she still be able to fly.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
As long as you’re just a no-show and not a cancellation I can’t imagine them pulling the companion ticket — especially if you’re both checked in and the companion has a BP.

Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
There's no requirement that you board together, so as long as you both take the outbound and you both check in for the return, and your companion boards, I can't see what reason they could have to throw your companion off the flight. So I think the answer is yes she can fly. I haven't ever heard of someone being back-charged for their companion if they miss the return...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This topic comes up regularly. Can the deny companion flight? Yes. Will they? Can go either way.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
This topic comes up regularly. Can the deny companion flight? Yes. Will they? Can go either way.

Yes it has come up before but I don't recall a single report of anyone ever being removed from a flight. This would require a gate agent to do some real digging into the reservation and then go on board and remove someone. Those are both just not going to happen when a busy GA is focused on getting the flight out on time.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
Just call DL prior to the flight - I had this happen to me once and I called DL to let them know my companion would not fly prior to the flight. The agent simply cancelled the one res and kept the other with no issues.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes it has come up before but I don't recall a single report of anyone ever being removed from a flight.
I have posted on several occasions that this indeed happened — my conference was going for another day, but my then-girlfriend had to get back to work since she was out of vacation days; maybe half an hour after the flight was supposed to depart, she called the room from the front desk of the Dayton Marriott to have me come down to pay the airport cab

granted, this was in 1986 on TWA, but I’ve certainly never even entertained the thought of doing it again ... and we’re still married ...
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by jrl767

I have posted on several occasions that this indeed happened — my conference was going for another day, but my then-girlfriend had to get back to work since she was out of vacation days; maybe half an hour after the flight was supposed to depart, she called the room from the front desk of the Dayton Marriott to have me come down to pay the airport cab

granted, this was in 1986 on TWA, but I’ve certainly never even entertained the thought of doing it again ... and we’re still married ...
So, you were fornicating out of wedlock?!

(That’s all I got out of this story)

gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:01 pm

granted, this was in 1986 on TWA
So this was not a credit card electronic companion cert, this was some type of paper companion ticket, right? I don't think you are comparing apples here.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:03 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
Just call DL prior to the flight - I had this happen to me once and I called DL to let them know my companion would not fly prior to the flight. The agent simply cancelled the one res and kept the other with no issues.
Removing the companion isn't controversial, it's the opposite situation that is under discussion.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

I had a similar issue—when I immigrated to the US in 1913, my brother used an Amex companion cert for the steamship from Gdansk. At the last minute he decided to stay in Poland, and they yanked me off the ship because I wasn’t traveling with the primary cardholder anymore.
TheHorta, Watchful, Gerbs and 12 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
So this was not a credit card electronic companion cert, this was some type of paper companion ticket, right?
obviously it was a paper voucher ... only citing it in response to jdrtravel, confirming an instance when the companion was not allowed to fly without the primary passenger
dealOCD likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
So the takeaway is don't try to pull this on TWA. Especially if it is 1986. Unless you want to get married.
SamOF, gooselee, TheHorta and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:23 am

If it were me I would NOT call in advance. There is no issue if the companion misses the return flight but if the primary passenger misses the return flight then the companion is technically offside and could be pulled off the flight but doubtful given how busy a gate agent is.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If it were me I would NOT call in advance. There is no issue if the companion misses the return flight but if the primary passenger misses the return flight then the companion is technically offside and could be pulled off the flight but doubtful given how busy a gate agent is.

I think the primary pax could just call and ask if it is possible to separate the ticket. If they say no then you try to just have the companion board, and I think you are right that the GA is very unlikely to notice. I don't think calling and asking will cause them to be on the lookout for your doing this or anything like that. If they say no when you call, just thank them and tell the agent to leave the reservation unchanged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.