FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Korean Air launches BOS-ICN as part of JV (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1923775-korean-air-launches-bos-icn-part-jv.html)

redct Aug 6, 2018 9:01 am

Korean Air launches BOS-ICN as part of JV

KE is entering Boston as part of their new-ish joint venture with Delta starting April 12, 2019 (press release).

Flights will be 5x / week (no Monday, Thursday service) on a 787-9:
  • KE 90: 13:30 BOS - 16:50+1 ICN
  • KE 89: 09:30 ICN - 10:30 BOS
The flight will join nonstops to HKG and NRT from Cathay Pacific and JAL, along with mainland China on Hainan. Hopefully this competition will drive down prices a bit at BOS. Plus, no more connecting through DTW to get to Asia now!

adstockton Aug 6, 2018 9:55 am

This is great news. I need to get to SIN later this year and will probably end up flying Cathay. Would use KE if available.

skchin Aug 6, 2018 11:51 am

Originally Posted by redct (Post 30053029)
KE is entering Boston as part of their new-ish joint venture with Delta starting April 12, 2019 (press release).

Flights will be 5x / week (no Monday, Thursday service) on a 787-9:
  • KE 90: 13:30 BOS - 16:50+1 ICN
  • KE 89: 09:30 ICN - 10:30 BOS
The flight will join nonstops to HKG and NRT from Cathay Pacific and JAL, along with mainland China on Hainan. Hopefully this competition will drive down prices a bit at BOS. Plus, no more connecting through DTW to get to Asia now!

thanks for the heads up. good news.

rylan Aug 6, 2018 12:42 pm

Wow thats a surprise and good news. Only disappointment is that its on KE metal and is a small J cabin of only 18 seats, which means use of a GUC is out (as it requires a Y/B to upgrade to Z, or M to upgrade to the non-existant O space on KE metal).

Mountain Explorer Aug 6, 2018 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 30053928)
Only disappointment is that its on KE metal

I was also hoping DL would operate this route. But this is a textbook long-thin route, that is perfect for the 787

radiowell Aug 6, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by redct (Post 30053029)
... Hopefully this competition will drive down prices a bit at BOS...

In Y? Sure. But not in J (although there is currently a sale; see Mileage Run/Premium Fare Deals Forum), nor is it an easy upgrade:

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 30053928)
Wow thats a surprise and good news. Only disappointment is that its on KE metal and is a small J cabin of only 18 seats, which means use of a GUC is out (as it requires a Y/B to upgrade to Z, or M to upgrade to the non-existant O space on KE metal).

Plus, their F is really a J seat...

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...eetCode=b787-9

N830MH Aug 7, 2018 12:13 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 30054357)
I was also hoping DL would operate this route. But this is a textbook long-thin route, that is perfect for the 787

No, not at this time. Right now, KE has already announced Boston. I don't think DL will operate it.

flyerCO Aug 7, 2018 12:22 am

Originally Posted by radiowell (Post 30054368)
In Y? Sure. But not in J (although there is currently a sale; see Mileage Run/Premium Fare Deals Forum), nor is it an easy upgrade:

Plus, their F is really a J seat...

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...eetCode=b787-9

I like how the seat map tries to make it look like they're different. The pictures seem to show the footrest bigger in J!

rylan Aug 7, 2018 10:02 am

Yeah that looks like about the same seat. So only difference would be the service/menu in F vs J I assume... and a few thousand $$ more.

Goldorak Aug 7, 2018 1:56 pm

is that from BOS Term A or E. If E, it is already so crowded...

readywhenyouare Aug 7, 2018 2:11 pm

Good to hear. The 787 is a truly amazing aircraft to be able to open up such routes.

flyerCO Aug 7, 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 30058325)
is that from BOS Term A or E. If E, it is already so crowded...

It would need to be Terminal E for arrival, thus I would assume Term E for departure. Terminal A is only used by Southwest, DL, and Westjet. Westjet only uses Terminal A due to preclearance

jinglish Aug 7, 2018 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30058734)
It would need to be Terminal E for arrival, thus I would assume Term E for departure.

TP arrives at E but departs from C, so not necessarily. In fact, my Concord Coach driver from Maine announced A as the terminal for KLM this weekend, so apparently they use to depart from there; I wouldn't be surprised if they do again when they resume BOS-AMS next year.

hi55us Aug 8, 2018 9:13 am

If they're smart they'll depart out of Term A for connecting DL Domestic Passengers. Lots of non-hub flights operating on DL into BOS these days including PHL, PIT, RIC and ORF, could make the flight a good success vs. doing the T2/T4 - T1 transfer in JFK

3Cforme Aug 8, 2018 9:27 am

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 30061021)
If they're smart they'll depart out of Term A for connecting DL Domestic Passengers. Lots of non-hub flights operating on DL into BOS these days including PHL, PIT, RIC and ORF, could make the flight a good success vs. doing the T2/T4 - T1 transfer in JFK

BOS isn't the distance-efficient connecting point for any of those destinations - DTW is (or MSP). Distance-efficient means DL keeps more of the pro-rated fare. DTW has more frequencies on DL to each of the airports you list.

One can make an argument that Terminal A has nicer facilities than Terminal E but DTW is going to be better for domestic connections throughout the East.