Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Korean Air launches BOS-ICN as part of JV

Old Aug 6, 18, 9:01 am
Original Poster

KE is entering Boston as part of their new-ish joint venture with Delta starting April 12, 2019 (press release).

Flights will be 5x / week (no Monday, Thursday service) on a 787-9:
  • KE 90: 13:30 BOS - 16:50+1 ICN
  • KE 89: 09:30 ICN - 10:30 BOS
The flight will join nonstops to HKG and NRT from Cathay Pacific and JAL, along with mainland China on Hainan. Hopefully this competition will drive down prices a bit at BOS. Plus, no more connecting through DTW to get to Asia now!
Old Aug 6, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM, reformed UA 1K
This is great news. I need to get to SIN later this year and will probably end up flying Cathay. Would use KE if available.
Old Aug 6, 18, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Originally Posted by redct View Post
KE is entering Boston as part of their new-ish joint venture with Delta starting April 12, 2019 (press release).

Flights will be 5x / week (no Monday, Thursday service) on a 787-9:
  • KE 90: 13:30 BOS - 16:50+1 ICN
  • KE 89: 09:30 ICN - 10:30 BOS
The flight will join nonstops to HKG and NRT from Cathay Pacific and JAL, along with mainland China on Hainan. Hopefully this competition will drive down prices a bit at BOS. Plus, no more connecting through DTW to get to Asia now!
thanks for the heads up. good news.
Old Aug 6, 18, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow thats a surprise and good news. Only disappointment is that its on KE metal and is a small J cabin of only 18 seats, which means use of a GUC is out (as it requires a Y/B to upgrade to Z, or M to upgrade to the non-existant O space on KE metal).
Old Aug 6, 18, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Only disappointment is that its on KE metal
I was also hoping DL would operate this route. But this is a textbook long-thin route, that is perfect for the 787
ryw, SJC ORD LDR and drew502 like this.
Old Aug 6, 18, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by redct View Post
... Hopefully this competition will drive down prices a bit at BOS...
In Y? Sure. But not in J (although there is currently a sale; see Mileage Run/Premium Fare Deals Forum), nor is it an easy upgrade:

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Wow thats a surprise and good news. Only disappointment is that its on KE metal and is a small J cabin of only 18 seats, which means use of a GUC is out (as it requires a Y/B to upgrade to Z, or M to upgrade to the non-existant O space on KE metal).
Plus, their F is really a J seat...

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...eetCode=b787-9

Last edited by radiowell; Aug 6, 18 at 2:48 pm Reason: Stupid autocorrect...
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kjnangre View Post
I was also hoping DL would operate this route. But this is a textbook long-thin route, that is perfect for the 787
No, not at this time. Right now, KE has already announced Boston. I don't think DL will operate it.
Old Aug 7, 18, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by radiowell View Post
In Y? Sure. But not in J (although there is currently a sale; see Mileage Run/Premium Fare Deals Forum), nor is it an easy upgrade:

Plus, their F is really a J seat...

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...eetCode=b787-9
I like how the seat map tries to make it look like they're different. The pictures seem to show the footrest bigger in J!
Old Aug 7, 18, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah that looks like about the same seat. So only difference would be the service/menu in F vs J I assume... and a few thousand $$ more.
Old Aug 7, 18, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
is that from BOS Term A or E. If E, it is already so crowded...
Old Aug 7, 18, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Good to hear. The 787 is a truly amazing aircraft to be able to open up such routes.
Old Aug 7, 18, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
is that from BOS Term A or E. If E, it is already so crowded...
It would need to be Terminal E for arrival, thus I would assume Term E for departure. Terminal A is only used by Southwest, DL, and Westjet. Westjet only uses Terminal A due to preclearance
Old Aug 7, 18, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
It would need to be Terminal E for arrival, thus I would assume Term E for departure.
TP arrives at E but departs from C, so not necessarily. In fact, my Concord Coach driver from Maine announced A as the terminal for KLM this weekend, so apparently they use to depart from there; I wouldn't be surprised if they do again when they resume BOS-AMS next year.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
If they're smart they'll depart out of Term A for connecting DL Domestic Passengers. Lots of non-hub flights operating on DL into BOS these days including PHL, PIT, RIC and ORF, could make the flight a good success vs. doing the T2/T4 - T1 transfer in JFK
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 8, 18, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
If they're smart they'll depart out of Term A for connecting DL Domestic Passengers. Lots of non-hub flights operating on DL into BOS these days including PHL, PIT, RIC and ORF, could make the flight a good success vs. doing the T2/T4 - T1 transfer in JFK
BOS isn't the distance-efficient connecting point for any of those destinations - DTW is (or MSP). Distance-efficient means DL keeps more of the pro-rated fare. DTW has more frequencies on DL to each of the airports you list.

One can make an argument that Terminal A has nicer facilities than Terminal E but DTW is going to be better for domestic connections throughout the East.
pbarnette and Goldorak like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: