Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cost of SKyMiles Upgrade from US to Europe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of SKyMiles Upgrade from US to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
What?!?! Delta is so dumb that they would rather fly with an empty biz class seat than let me pay for it in miles???
It's called "integrity of the premium cabin" and many carriers practice it. The theory is if you make it too easy to upgrade, people won't pay full freight for premium cabin tickets. DL is an adherent.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's called "integrity of the premium cabin" and many carriers practice it. The theory is if you make it too easy to upgrade, people won't pay full freight for premium cabin tickets. DL is an adherent.
I didn't know airlines still did that. It seems United just lowers the price of an upgrade until someone takes it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The problem was that the agent didn't always pull the miles.

You have to call. DL doesn't even let EF see if there's inventory, except for R and O. You need RY or OY, thus no way to see.
Thanks for letting me know I have to call. Makes me love the UA system where one can see all fare classes.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:31 am

Location: Winter Park Fla. USA Hilton Diamond, Delta SM, Starwood Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Plus they need to keep seats open and available for all of the non revs.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
No co-pays. Keep in mind you need upgrade inventory to do this, and if no inventory opens by the time the flight goes to airport control you don't get gate upgrades even if seats are available at that point (unless you get a really good gate agent).
I called Delta an upgrade was 30,000 miles as you said from a Y class fare.

What I didn't ask was how much the upgrade and copay would be from another fare class. Does anyone know this

I'm trying to get STR-SAN on Aug 10, and the only upgrade availability the Delta rep said there was was STR-ATL.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
YBM should be same. Below that I believe it's 60k, basically not much cheaper than an outright ticket. No copays with Delta.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:29 am
Original Poster

YBM should be same. Below that I believe it's 60k, basically not much cheaper than an outright ticket. No copays with Delta.
Okay. Thanks!

I am also wondering if there is a fee for the upgrade if done inside of a week or inside of days. Some airlines charge these last minute fees to squeeze a little more out of you.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Okay. Thanks!

I am also wondering if there is a fee for the upgrade if done inside of a week or inside of days. Some airlines charge these last minute fees to squeeze a little more out of you.
Only fee DL charges is for redeposit of miles. Note redeposit must be done 72 or greater from departure.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Only fee DL charges is for redeposit of miles. Note redeposit must be done 72 or greater from departure.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.