Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

30m transfer: Domestic-international in SLC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M

I'm looking at a DL/KLM itinerary on a Saturday in November or December:
LAS-SLC-AMS
All on one ticket, all on DL metal, booked with KLM, hand luggage only. Is a 30m transfer in SLC feasible?
In the event of a missed connection at SLC, I see there are a few other "round the houses" options: via MSP on DL, or via CDG on AF.
I have no significant status with KLM/AF.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Plus options via SEA, SFO, LAX, etc..
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is feasible and you will, of course, be rebooked if you misconnect.

But, do consider that it is high season, the economy is on screech, and flights are full. The next available flight may not be what you want and your seat may be particularly odious.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
It is feasible and you will, of course, be rebooked if you misconnect.

But, do consider that it is high season, the economy is on screech, and flights are full. The next available flight may not be what you want and your seat may be particularly odious.
It's only high season on a Saturday if it's during a holiday week.

You can take the 30 minutes and just have backup options you've already researched to feed a rebooking agent. The only people that end up with odious seats are those that leave their rebooking and seat selection to an agent pointing and clicking in SNAP
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I would be travelling late November/early December, avoiding Thanksgiving and Christmas.
So the journey would not be in high season.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
On the date I checked there was an earlier LAS-SLC departure. That presents a trade-off: a connection time with minimal risk but 'wasted' journey time vs. a short connection that has some likelihood of being missed and requiring a connection on the fly.

I've done my share of SLC domestic-to-domestic 30 minute connections. It's a relatively small and efficient airport. I wouldn't touch 30 min domestic-to-international.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
My guess is that OP is getting a better fare for the 30 minute connection. I don't personally like risky connections like this, but if there is any airport to do it in, it's SLC.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta, United
You should be fine. BUT remember the flight closes 15 minutes before departure so in reality the connection time is only 15 minutes which is still fine for SLC if the flight is on time.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Jul 18, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If DL could guarantee you that they would hold the door until departure time, this would seem to be a relative no-brainer. But they often like to close the door at T-15m. Assuming the inbound flight door is opened for deplaning right on time, it can still be a little tight if you're in the back half of the plane and need to change concourses. But, we know DL likes to pad schedules so if all goes well you should arrive SLC a little early and it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Definitely be armed with alternative routings in case (1) the departure from LAS is delayed, or (2) the arrival into SLC is delayed and you miss connections. Given the timing and apparent alternatives, I would probably take the itinerary, especially as it sounds like OP is a solo traveler.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
My guess is that OP is getting a better fare for the 30 minute connection. I don't personally like risky connections like this, but if there is any airport to do it in, it's SLC.
And hey, it's Delta. The odds are reasonably good that they'll start playing around with the schedule and you'll get a free change because they moved one of the flights by three minutes or whatever token amount of time that puts you under their minimum legal connection time for that kind of routing.

I'd book and then recheck the flights every Sunday morning in hopes Schedule Change Saturday can work in my favor.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:55 pm

SLC is my hub. Arriving flights from LAS are almost exclusely in C or D concourse and the AMS flights are the same. 30 min would be plenty of time however bags can be an issue sometimes. And as you stated, there are other options if by chance you missed the connection.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
There will likely be a schedule change between now and then. Even 1 minute is likely enough to bust the MCT, which would allow you to rebook on a better routing.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Be ready to start yelling "excuse me" on the moving walkways. Walk LEFT Stand RIGHT seems unusually difficult concept to follow in SLC for some reason.

And book a seat as close to the front of the plane as possible on your first leg. Could take an additional 5-7 minutes to deplane if you're stuck behind a mob of clueless kettles.
Fsnco1 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Quick search I did looks like you could also fly LAS-DTW/MSP/ATL-AMS with a more reasonable layover for the same fare.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TuxTom
Quick search I did looks like you could also fly LAS-DTW/MSP/ATL-AMS with a more reasonable layover for the same fare.
I would normally avoid a transfer at a mega-airport such as ATL. But for my itinerary it would be Delta->Delta. Connections may well be in the same terminal, with just a walk to the departure gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.