FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Loud Children In Delta Sky Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1917747-loud-children-delta-sky-club.html)

sydneyracquelle Jul 2, 2018 3:48 pm

Loud Children In Delta Sky Club

Sitting here in ATL Concourse F International Delta Sky Club waiting for an international flight and cannot believe how loud and rambunctious these many young children are in here. It sounds and feels like a daycare. Don’t the parents have any common courtesy for their fellow adult travelers?

TheHorta Jul 2, 2018 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 29930582)
Sitting here in ATL Concourse F International Delta Sky Club waiting for an international flight and cannot believe how loud and rambunctious these many young children are in here. It sounds and feels like a daycare. Don’t the parents have any common courtesy for their fellow adult travelers?

Sign of the times. I've learned to really appreciate well-behaved children these days. It's a relative rarity, and a sign of good parentage.

Sadly, DL employees are probably instructed to not interfere in such matters, as it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" matter.

fliesdelta Jul 2, 2018 3:54 pm

No. Same as some (sometimes, many) of the adults in place, who are loud, obnoxious, sometimes use foul language, etc.

LondonElite Jul 2, 2018 3:56 pm

Instead of moaning on FT, which won't resolve the problem, why not go to the front desk and tell the in-charge that this behaviour is (rightly!) unacceptable.

BenA Jul 2, 2018 4:06 pm

I’ve found that a polite “pardon me, would you mind keeping your voices down? The sound is carrying throughout the club and it’s being pretty disruptive” works to shame all but the worst offenders. Most people are so shocked to have been called out that they immediately correct their (or their companions’) disruptive behavior with minimal controversy.

I’ve also been known to politely offer a spare sealed pair of Billboard onboard earbuds to folks watching videos with audible sound coming from their speakers. I was pleased to see a sign in one club recently that Delta is now actually offering headsets at the front desk for loan if you forgot yours - would be great if that’s rolled out systemwide as it means there will always be an available option to address devices making noise, too.

Most people want to do the right thing and are simply oblivious of the fact that the world contains other people...

sydneyracquelle Jul 2, 2018 4:21 pm

People who are sometimes DYKWIA who insist on using their speakerphone for a work or personal conversation can be more annoying than young children.

NOLAnwGOLD Jul 2, 2018 4:22 pm

I do wish there was a kid section that's closed off in some of the hub airports. Or even converting one of the smaller lounges into family only areas

LondonElite Jul 2, 2018 4:23 pm

So what is the complaint?!

DLATL777 Jul 2, 2018 4:39 pm

#Skydumps #Adultdaycarecenters #Wouldhavetopaymetogoin

MSPeconomist Jul 2, 2018 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 29930701)
People who are sometimes DYKWIA who insist on using their speakerphone for a work or personal conversation can be more annoying than young children.

At the MSP SC last month, there was some guy yelling into his cell phone and it seemed like every sentence was about a million dollars. I was tempted to ask him if that was all.....

readywhenyouare Jul 2, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29930812)
At the MSP SC last month, there was some guy yelling into his cell phone and it seemed like every sentence was about a million dollars. I was tempted to ask him if that was all.....

Yes, you should have said "a million? Sorry to hear business is doing so poorly".

readywhenyouare Jul 2, 2018 4:57 pm

And yes, a club just for families is a great idea. Perhaps one of the clubs on D in ATL could be used for that. I would gladly pay more for a child free experience.

MSPeconomist Jul 2, 2018 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 29930703)
I do wish there was a kid section that's closed off in some of the hub airports. Or even converting one of the smaller lounges into family only areas

However, I've been in airport lounges where there is a wonderful kids' room but it's empty, with all the kids running around and screaming in the main part of the lounge. Having a dedicated space is step one, but then someone must convince/force parents to actually use it.

jinglish Jul 2, 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29930812)

3Cforme Jul 2, 2018 5:32 pm

Children exist. It's a good thing, too, as they need to grow into productive adults to pay the Social Security and Medicare taxes to provide benefits for grumpy old people living in Florida.