Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Whats your Method for gettin cheapest F fare on Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat

I am just curious what your methods are for getting the cheapest F fare?

I buy the cheapest none BE fare and watch the upgrade prices. I often get into 1st cheaper that way at least on my route then buying directly into 1st.

example I just upgraded a trip and it's 50 dollars cheaper than what I was quoted for 1st 2 weeks ago and 100 dollars cheaper than what its advertised for today.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I am just curious what your methods are for getting the cheapest F fare.
the FCM thread has been around since Feb 2011
Webogirl likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I wear a nice suit and a smile to the airport, then regale the gate agent with 110% true stories about how I'm traveling for a special occasion like my honeymoon or something.

Works every time.
cmx, manacit, kate_ and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gooselee
I wear a nice suit and a smile to the airport, then regale the gate agent with 110% true stories about how I'm traveling for a special occasion like my honeymoon or something.

Works every time.
How many times have you been prosecuted for how many spouses you have?
gooselee and SDQBound like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee

Works every time.
Don't forget to mention "revenue management"

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
How many times have you been prosecuted for how many spouses you have?
Maybe he has a divorce lawyer on retainer
Old Jun 17, 2018, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They must feel sorry for you for having to take those honeymoons all by yourself.
TheHorta and SDQBound like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Don't forget to mention "revenue management"

Maybe he has a divorce lawyer on retainer
Or a lawyer known as "The Fixer".

Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist

I buy the cheapest none BE fare and watch the upgrade prices. I often get into 1st cheaper that way at least on my route then buying directly into 1st.

example I just upgraded a trip and it's 50 dollars cheaper than what I was quoted for 1st 2 weeks ago and 100 dollars cheaper than what its advertised for today.
my employer requires me to always purchase refundable changeable fares and allows those fares to be in F. Having said that, I do try and get the best deal for them by choosing flight times that are more economical. For instance, I'm flying to toronto at 930am next week for $2400 instead of the more desirable 2pm which is $3100. I know its not much, but its the best I can do.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by sdadept
my employer requires me to always purchase refundable changeable fares and allows those fares to be in F. Having said that, I do try and get the best deal for them by choosing flight times that are more economical. For instance, I'm flying to toronto at 930am next week for $2400 instead of the more desirable 2pm which is $3100. I know its not much, but its the best I can do.

Would you have a chat with my clients?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The ITA calendar.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

When I've purchased a coach ticket with the plan to accept a paid upgrade offer on the app, DL seems to wait until my 24 hour free cancel period has passed before offering me an upgrade. I'm also sometimes in the position that cancellation to try again to get any upgrade offer to show means that either the fare class isn't available or I've just missed an advance purchase requirement.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I've purchased a coach ticket with the plan to accept a paid upgrade offer on the app, DL seems to wait until my 24 hour free cancel period has passed before offering me an upgrade. I'm also sometimes in the position that cancellation to try again to get any upgrade offer to show means that either the fare class isn't available or I've just missed an advance purchase requirement.
When I have bought a coach ticket I have always been able to select and buy a seat in F or Comfort +. That said the only time I did upgrade to Comfort + I was no longer able to view or purchase an F upgrade. This was on the website, not sure if the app is different.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I am surprised, when i book i can opp up usually with 20 minutes or so.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sdadept
I would hate to see the invoices your customers get

Joking aside that is one heck of an employee benefit to be able to book F outright.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
I never had to wait 24 hours the upgrade offer to popup, but within the 1st 24 hours it always seems to be the most expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.