Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wife is 8 MQM short of Silver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Wife is 8 MQM short of Silver

We have a trip to Europe in 2 weeks. My wife is literally 8 MQM short of Silver, and obviously will hit it the minute we take off. Would like to be able to have her Silver for this flight.

Does anyone know of a way to get 8 MQM other than taking a short trip or getting an AMEX (have those). I tried @Delta on twitter, with no help at all.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Just curious, but why do you want her to be Silver for the trip? The bag allowance? Does FO get SP boarding?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Possibility of an upgrade, additional bag. I was hoping to get 70 pound bag, but I see that's only for domestic.

Not a must, but would be nice. Plus earn extra miles on the flight as Silver.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM
I don't think Silver is going to do anything for her. And no, Delta isn't going to give her the 8 MQM, so she will just have
to do it the old fashioned way.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
AFAIK, there are no complimentary upgrades for Silver (or ANY Medallion, including Diamond) on TATL flights.

That said, there are myriad Amex offers that give MQM benefits, sometimes with the first dollar spent, and they post to your SM account pretty quickly. My first Reserve card came on a 10K MQM / 10K Award miles on first dollar spent. I received the card 3 days after online application, used it at dinner that night, and a few days later the MQMs and miles were in my SM account.

Failing that, there are many here who might have more options short of making a quick mileage run.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Besides flying I don't know any other way to get MQM (besides CC bonus). I don't think you gain much by being FO on International flight.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:30 am

Primary benefit would be an extra bag. If you truly need that extra bag, you could compare the cost of the cheapest mileage run you could find vs the cost of the extra bag. You are eligible to receive an upgrade to C+ (not to be confused with premium economy). Doesn't mean you would though as its most likely sold out or filled with elites with higher status. Even if there is space, the only difference between C+ and Y is UP TO an add'l 4" of legroom. Rest of the amenities are the same. I don't think that "upgrade" is really worth the effort.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lardan23
We have a trip to Europe in 2 weeks. My wife is literally 8 MQM short of Silver, and obviously will hit it the minute we take off. Would like to be able to have her Silver for this flight.

Does anyone know of a way to get 8 MQM other than taking a short trip or getting an AMEX (have those). I tried @Delta on twitter, with no help at all.
Has she satisfied the MQD or waiver requirement for Silver? If not, somehow getting 8 MQMs still won't make her Silver.

I agree with the others here that it's unlikely to be worth doing something to get the extra MQMs, but she should check her account carefully to make sure that all segments have been properly credited.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Eddie98
Besides flying I don't know any other way to get MQM (besides CC bonus). I don't think you gain much by being FO on International flight.
There is the 40% boost on Skymiles, and possibly a higher boarding group? Not saying those are worth a mileage run, but are a few gains.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, there could be intra-US legs as part of this itinerary, so she'd benefit on upgrades on those, possibly.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by lardan23

Will your wife be able to get Gold by the end of the year? If not, then I agree with the others that it's not worth trying to get Silver before this flight, as the cost to get it outweighs the benefits for this single flight.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hdszx
Nagaraj

Not a must, but would be nice. Plus earn extra miles on the flight as Silver.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TheHorta
AFAIK, there are no complimentary upgrades for Silver (or ANY Medallion, including Diamond) on TATL flights.
At least you qualified with 'AFAIK' which based on your posting history is not very much.

There are complimentary upgrades for all Medallion tiers from Main Cabin to Comfort + seats on transatlantic flights (but not to DL Premium Select or DL One). Silvers clear 24 hours prior to departure time based upon availability.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
At least you qualified with 'AFAIK' which based on your posting history is not very much.

There are complimentary upgrades for all Medallion tiers from Main Cabin to Comfort + seats on transatlantic flights (but not to DL Premium Select or DL One). Silvers clear 24 hours prior to departure time based upon availability.
Sorry, but C+ isn't an upgrade regardless of what DL says.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry, but C+ isn't an upgrade regardless of what DL says.
Not on a TATL, where you get the booze anyway. Much rather have a bulkhead or exit row, so I will say that even FO status is worth something when it comes to being able to choose the good seats for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.