Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to SYD in D1... Worth It???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - GM, Hilton - Diamond
LAX to SYD in D1... Worth It???

Have the chance to pay a semi-reasonable amount to get into Delta One on an LAX to SYD flight. Is it really worth it? Right now I am in an exit row so plenty of leg room (even though I'm sure people will crowd that area since it's near the galley and bathroom). Should I suck it up and ride it out in the back?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I am looking at that flight right now, but it's priced at >$8k - not reasonable enough for me (or my company).

I'm also looking at a DL flight on VA metal in Premium Economy. $3.5k,which isn't too bad.

D1 is good though, I've done that route and really appreciate the lie-flat bed.

I am wondering if I can use a GUC with a VA flight (booked via DL). Anyone know quickly before I get off my backside and search...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DLbirds16
Have the chance to pay a semi-reasonable amount to get into Delta One on an LAX to SYD flight. Is it really worth it? Right now I am in an exit row so plenty of leg room (even though I'm sure people will crowd that area since it's near the galley and bathroom). Should I suck it up and ride it out in the back?
Depends on what you define as "reasonable". We all value our money differently. But I will say that I've done LAX-BNE on VA in J and it was one of the best flights I've done and jetlag was a minimal issue as I slept very well on the plane (7-8 hours of decent sleep, which I doubt you'd get riding in Y unless you can snag "poor mans business class" and somehow get a whole row of 3 empty seats to yourself to spread out and lay out on).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:02 pm

Have the chance to pay a semi-reasonable amount to get into Delta One on an LAX to SYD flight. Is it really worth it?
yea
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’d pay $250, all in, one way, max.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So it's always nice to be in D1 over Y.
Virgin's biz is even better from the reports.
They have a good PE as well, which is what I"m flying next time to MEL.
Depends on your budget and what the $$ vs the experience you prefer.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
For me, I wouldn't consider flying LAX-SYD in anything but J.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Just booked HSV>ATL>LAX>SYD less than two weeks out. D1 is $10,713 for the flight. That's right on the line for me personally (it's a biz trip, and I'm a partner in a small company, so every penny ultimately comes out of my hide anyway), but since my wife is coming there's no way I can justify the extra $17K for the two of us. I'd pay an extra $2-3K per person for D1 on that flight. No way I'm dishing out an extra $8700/pp, That, and D1 looks light, so I get to use some GUCs this time around and -- after sacrificing a live chicken to the Delta deities -- I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll get the nod.

TATL is SO much cheaper in D1. Next two trips are to CDG and AMS respectively, and booked into D1 for somewhere in the $3K range each.
DLbirds16 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - GM, Hilton - Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Just booked HSV>ATL>LAX>SYD less than two weeks out. D1 is $10,713 for the flight. That's right on the line for me personally (it's a biz trip, and I'm a partner in a small company, so every penny ultimately comes out of my hide anyway), but since my wife is coming there's no way I can justify the extra $17K for the two of us. I'd pay an extra $2-3K per person for D1 on that flight. No way I'm dishing out an extra $8700/pp, That, and D1 looks light, so I get to use some GUCs this time around and -- after sacrificing a live chicken to the Delta deities -- I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll get the nod.

TATL is SO much cheaper in D1. Next two trips are to CDG and AMS respectively, and booked into D1 for somewhere in the $3K range each.
That’s exactly what we are going to be paying. Around 2,800 per person. I was originally quoted at 6k per person which is why I wanted to jump at this offer. Knowing that, I would think this is a good move and well worth the money. We also have to connect twice before the long flight so it buys us an extra two flights in domestic first.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Definitely I'd want business class, but it wouldn't have to be D1 for me - the cheapest option with a lay flat.

That’s exactly what we are going to be paying. Around 2,800 per person. I was originally quoted at 6k per person which is why I wanted to jump at this offer. Knowing that, I would think this is a good move and well worth the money. We also have to connect twice before the long flight so it buys us an extra two flights in domestic first.
Holy smokes jump on that. UA's "sale" was $4600/person. I paid $3500/pp net on JAL ($7100 + one free from Amex Platinum).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: alaska

I did LAX-SYD this year, and got what I thought was a good deal on PEY, and yes it was 100% worth it. I slept 6 hours. The food was good...and when you arrive in SYD, it's almost always going to be AM. Wife and I had enough energy to do a full day in Sydney exploring. Would imagine if I went Y and barely slept, would not have been able to do that and you end up being on a wonky sleep schedule, etc.

So basically, if you're getting a good deal for that long of a flight and it doesn't break your budget, go for it. It's beneficial both for the connecting flights as well as in the first few days you are there.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
Definitely I'd want business class, but it wouldn't have to be D1 for me - the cheapest option with a lay flat.

Holy smokes jump on that. UA's "sale" was $4600/person. I paid $3500/pp net on JAL ($7100 + one free from Amex Platinum).
I suspect that OP was talking about $2800 extra pp (above coach), not $2800 all-in.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 11, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta, Alaska Airlines, SPG, Hilton
Does anyone know when/if the new suite for the 777 in D1 will roll out for this flight? I have tickets for a flight next April.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It's all a personal equation, but I flew SYD-LAX in J and got enough sleep that I had no jet lag when I got back home. As I had to immediately get back into work travel, I valued that a great deal.

Likewise, on the way there we hit the ground running. Walked all over AKL immediately after landing and were out hiking around the very next morning.

If you have a few days on either to recover before having to fully function again...J is maybe not as important. All depends.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Not necessary for it to be D1 but I won't make that trip without a lay flat option. Life is too short to spend crammed into Y for that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.