Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat recline etiquette— is there such a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Gig103
Completely reasonable during a meal service.
In coach, generally, yes. Not in first. Plenty of room.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Delta flies from MSY to LAX?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
In coach, generally, yes. Not in first. Plenty of room.
Seriously? Maybe in D1, but not on a 757 or smaller. I always (politely) request the person in front of me to put their seatback up while I'm eating. It is very difficult otherwise. Also, I always notify the person behind me when I recline, just to give them a heads-up so I don't mess with their laptop / drink / etc.

Common sense ain't so common, and neither apparently is common courtesy, unfortunately.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tennessetom
Even paid first passengers should try to be considerate. Reminds me of a flight where my wife and I were seperated in first class each in an aisle seat with a guy in the row between us guy in front of me throws back his seat as far is it will go making it impossible for me to work. My wife offered to change seats as she just wanted to sleep. The passive aggressiveness in my took over and as soon as I got into the seat in front of the guy I flung it back. He immediately complained. some people are just very much about themselves good news is most people are fairly considerate
It is good that you realize when you are inconsiderate towards others, and I'm happy you saw the errors of your way and changed.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh, another thread on this only a few days after the last one?

TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Seriously? Maybe in D1, but not on a 757 or smaller. I always (politely) request the person in front of me to put their seatback up while I'm eating. It is very difficult otherwise. Also, I always notify the person behind me when I recline, just to give them a heads-up so I don't mess with their laptop / drink / etc. Common sense ain't so common, and neither apparently is common courtesy, unfortunately.
I have no problem eating or working in any DL first class seat with the person in front of me reclined. It would never occur to me to be so discourteous as to attempt to deny the person in front of me the use of their seat. Apparently, some don't have the same consideration for others.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Delta flies from MSY to LAX?
Yup. Three nonstops a day. 38" pitch in First.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I have no problem eating or working in any DL first class seat with the person in front of me reclined. It would never occur to me to be so discourteous as to attempt to deny the person in front of me the use of their seat. Apparently, some don't have the same consideration for others.
There are people who actually deny others the use of their seat? No one has ever told me that I can't sit in my assigned seat. When couples are divided, I have been asked if I would be willing to swap with one of them so they can fly together, to which I have always been amenable, but I have never been denied a seat.

I'm 6'3" 280 pounds and build like a barrel-chested meat packing plant, so I barely fit into many FC seats as it is. When a person reclines, there is often only 8-12 inches between the back of their seat and my chest. It makes eating very difficult, so I will politely request that they not recline fully during the meal. After that, knock yourself out (though a common-courtesy glance back to be sure you're not going to cause any harm to the pax behind you would seem to be the basically decent thing to do).

That's OK though if they don't. I deal with the entitled and self-important all day long, so I brush it off as normal behavior and the proverbial "sign of the times."

Last edited by TheHorta; Jun 5, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:38 pm

Yay Easyjet...

Just flew Easyjet. The seats don't recline. Made for a very comfortable flight.
hockeystl and TheHorta like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I could care less about the person behind me because it is my space.
Sounds like you definitely could not care less about passengers behind you.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suspect you know this, but NOTHING on the aircraft is yours, not the seat, not the overhead space, not the 'space' around you. You have purchased a transportation service, you are not leasing space.
This person deserves to have six 250lb passengers sit in their lap since nothing is theirs. The height of arrogance! There are only two solutions that seem proper
(unless some creative person offers more) and that is to either eliminate all reclining or add more space. Or split the difference. Or charge for reclining.
Aha,,,that is it. Charge 50$ to recline.$25 goes to passenger behind you. Damages.....
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by overdahill
This person deserves to have six 250lb passengers sit in their lap since nothing is theirs. The height of arrogance! There are only two solutions that seem proper
(unless some creative person offers more) and that is to either eliminate all reclining or add more space. Or split the difference. Or charge for reclining.
Aha,,,that is it. Charge 50$ to recline.$25 goes to passenger behind you. Damages.....
Much better option - if a passenger A wants to limit the designed function of passenger B's seat, passenger A can offer to compensate passenger B for the inconvenience. Much the same as if passenger A wanted passenger B to swap from an aisle to a middle seat so passenger A could sit next to a travel companion.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
FWIW, when I carried a larger laptop for which the screen could be cracked, I informed the PAX in front of me that I needed warning before recline. Only about half did it. During that time, I started putting my hand in between the laptop and the screen unless I was outright typing with both hands just so I'd get an extra bit of warning. I was amazed that people weren't willing to warn even when I asked and explained why I needed warning.

The thing that bothers me, though, is that people will leave the recline down even when they are up and walking about. How lazy can you be that you can't put your seat upright before you walk around.

I have no qualms about reaching up and hitting the button when there is no one in the seat in front of him, although I had a pax once tell me I had no right to put her seat up while she was gone after she took a 15 minute excursion away from her seat.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:18 am

I have been thinking about this.....

We have 88 posts on this and almost all of them claim to be models of polite society where they always ask before they recline etc....

I have 2 million miles on Delta.

I have NEVER been asked by the person in front of me if it's OK if the seat reclines. As a general rule in First I often notice that as soon as the FA is out of the line of sight the seats go back, well before the plane is fully in the air.

I honestly cannot recall ever noticing anyone around me ask anyone else if it's OK if they recline their seat.

I can recall some "entitled" people demanding that other's not recline their seats while the "entitled" slammed their seat back into the person behind them with as much force as possible (Hint repeatedly slamming the seat back doesn't increase the recline)

So either the posters on here are a huge minority or some of us aren't telling the truth.

I honestly admit I don't ask before I recline. I do check to see what's going on behind me, but it's generally not an issue as I don't like the seat all the way back anyway.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I have been thinking about this.....

We have 88 posts on this and almost all of them claim to be models of polite society where they always ask before they recline etc....

I have 2 million miles on Delta.

I have NEVER been asked by the person in front of me if it's OK if the seat reclines. As a general rule in First I often notice that as soon as the FA is out of the line of sight the seats go back, well before the plane is fully in the air.

I honestly cannot recall ever noticing anyone around me ask anyone else if it's OK if they recline their seat.

I can recall some "entitled" people demanding that other's not recline their seats while the "entitled" slammed their seat back into the person behind them with as much force as possible (Hint repeatedly slamming the seat back doesn't increase the recline)

So either the posters on here are a huge minority or some of us aren't telling the truth.

I honestly admit I don't ask before I recline. I do check to see what's going on behind me, but it's generally not an issue as I don't like the seat all the way back anyway.
This. total agreement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.