Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat recline etiquette— is there such a thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat recline etiquette— is there such a thing?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I rarely recline. Am I the only one who thinks airplane seats in recline are uncomfortable?
Old May 27, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by apodo77
...Am I the only one who thinks airplane seats in recline are uncomfortable?
No. There are at least two of us. But it depends on the individual — height and weight distribution, whether the person has lower back problems or upper back problems, etc. I have lower back issues. At altitude the nose of the plane is slightly up which puts more of my weight on my lower back. A very slight recline can help if I’m trying to sleep but otherwise I find I’m better off fully upright and leaning slightly forward, making it just that much easier to get smacked in the head by the seat in front of me.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by spudley007
I always go slowly and rarely all the way back. On my last flight, on final decent, for some reason the person in front of me wanted to go back after the FAs did their check. I wasn't expecting it and was putting something in my bag and got a seat to the face real quickly. That was disappointing!
In general, I find the "It's my space" comments here to be humorous.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the FAA would assert that that space is my space during take-off and landing. And I won't hesitate to seek FA intervention to ensure that the seat in front of me is fully upright during those times.

I intend that I and those in my row have all of the room to evacuate that the FAA intends we have.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FullFare
Actually, I agree with that. Just board any DL flight in F and compare it to the seats in the cabin in the back. So that, coupled with crummy pitch to begin with, and allowance of too much recline, makes for a questionable experience for the guy behind a fully reclining customer.

I'd welcome further insight and constructive discussion on that.
What? You don't enjoy counting hair follicles and dandruff flakes?

davetravels likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by pvn
I have literally never seen anyone turn around and ask the pax behind them before they reclined, not once. I have seen people kinda look back as sort of a heads up to the pax behind, but that's pretty rare, and even then it's not an ask, it's more of a "be advised, here I come"
I think it is common courtesy to gently recline. I always do that. Not everyone does. I'm old enough now that i no longer expect random strangers to be anything extraordinary.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
The fundamental issue here is that there are asymmetric costs and benefits for the recliner and reclinee (the person getting reclined into).

Generally speaking, especially in Y, the benefit the recliner gets is minimal relative to the pain and loss of utility the reclinee suffers. Knee pain and/or complete inability to get work done as opposed to "a modicum of more comfort" is very asymmetric.

I consider plane recliners (other than on "cabin consensus" reclines like redeyes) to be some of the most selfish people in existence. I never recline, and given the state of Y seats today, others should not either. If the legacies want to cram people into 30" seat pitches, they should get rid of recline entirely.
steved5480 and strickerj like this.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
In general, I find the "It's my space" comments here to be humorous.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the FAA would assert that that space is my space during take-off and landing. And I won't hesitate to seek FA intervention to ensure that the seat in front of me is fully upright during those times.

I intend that I and those in my row have all of the room to evacuate that the FAA intends we have.
Not that long ago I complained when a FA refused to tell the guy in front of me to un-recline his seat for landing. I was told that this is not a safety requirement as seats can be partially reclined during takeoff and landing.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not that long ago I complained when a FA refused to tell the guy in front of me to un-recline his seat for landing. I was told that this is not a safety requirement as seats can be partially reclined during takeoff and landing.
You complained as in filed a complaint through the website? What sort of response did you get?
Old May 27, 2018, 2:01 pm
Suspended

what is a reclining seat???????????? i only fry club or first
Old May 27, 2018, 2:08 pm

If you have problems with people reclining their seat, choose a bulkhead row or the row behind an exit row. Both of those spots allow you to sit without worrying about a seat reclining into you.
Occupationalhazard likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I just go slowly. When someone in front of me reclines, if it's sudden is when it's jarring.

Oddly (?) enough, I also don't recline unless the person in front of me did. I can handle being upright but not when someone's nearly in my lap from reclining.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
If you have problems with people reclining their seat, choose a bulkhead row or the row behind an exit row. Both of those spots allow you to sit without worrying about a seat reclining into you.
Not everyone has the luxury of an open seat map to choose their seats from.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by estedman
It drives me crazy when someone goes into full recline as fast as they can. At least give a look back or go slow. I for the record don't recline unless the person in front of me does and of course I look back and go slow.

One time a guy behind me said something and I let him know I did not recline until the guy in front of me did and I needed the room for my computer.
To be fair, ERJ first class seats don't do slow like economy/C+ seats. It just drops back 6 inches the install I press the button. I usually have to remember to lean forward before I press the recline button and then gently lean back until I get the angle I want.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Did we really need another thread on this subject?

2nd thread

3rd thread
Old May 27, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't always recline. But when I do, it is right in your face.
strickerj and TheHorta like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.