Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flt from Detroit Evacuated at Denver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta flt from Detroit Evacuated at Denver

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by lupine
I can't tell from the pictures -- are passengers supposed to jump off the wing to the ground? Very strange seeing so many passengers on the wing.

It seemed like fewer folks dragged off suitcases on this evacuation than on many others we've seen. I see a couple, but not many. (Personally, I'd be fine if authorities were authorized to confiscate and destroy any suitcases/packages dragged off during an emergency evacuation.)
When CO had an incident coincidentally at DEN, it took months to get bags back. That’s one thing safety officials, airlines and aviation bureaucrats neglect each time they bring up this topic. It’s not that pax don’t want to be safe or aid in safety, just don’t keep them at bay from their belongings, their data and their livelihood for hours, days, weeks or months.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I mean, it's one thing to grab your backpack or purse from under the seat, it's another thing to open up the overhead bin, grab your large carry-on, and try dragging it off the plane with you while everyone else is trying to get off, and then fumbling down the exit/slide.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I mean, it's one thing to grab your backpack or purse from under the seat, it's another thing to open up the overhead bin, grab your large carry-on, and try dragging it off the plane with you while everyone else is trying to get off, and then fumbling down the exit/slide.
Even that's inexcusable as it still can hinder yourself and/or others in the evacuation. Unless it's already on you, you shouldn't be taking time to grab it. It's why when I fly I keep my wallet and phone in my pockets and when flying internationally, my passport as well, during takeoff and landing. May seem excessive but I don't want to be without those.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope that pet didn't hinder anyone else's evacuation.
I hope none of the self-important diamonds who bring too many personal items on board hindered the evacuation
Old May 9, 2018, 1:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by lupine
(Personally, I'd be fine if authorities were authorized to confiscate and destroy any suitcases/packages dragged off during an emergency evacuation.)
what would the point of that be? it's just some authoritarian impulse?
strickerj likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
"the next time you are involved in an extremely rare emergency airplane evacuation you'll remember this!"
Old May 9, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
Impressive how much luggage people can evacuate with and it only sent one to the hospital.
Only one piece of luggage was sent to the hospital? Impressive
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
That's pretty much what people suggested ("everybody does it") when sentencing drunk drivers to jail first became a significant thing. Yet, over time, it has served to convince many people that driving drunk is not acceptable.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
"the next time you are involved in an extremely rare emergency airplane evacuation you'll remember this!"
I would not be surprised to learn that at least one FTer may have been in that situation twice or more, but across the entirety of the traveling public I'd have to guess that the total number is also rather small
Old May 9, 2018, 6:16 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...1032b#comments

Pointedly notes that no Delta flight crew/FAs appear in the photo to be assisting the people trying to get off the wing!
Old May 9, 2018, 6:28 pm

During a evacuation the crew would remain onboard until all passengers exited. You would not want them leaving first to help people off the wing.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
One of these is actually important
I try to be a polite pax, but the day someone blocks the exit because they are taking video or trying to get their carry-on when the plane is on fire - I’m going to exit even if it means going through you...
Old May 9, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox

I try to be a polite pax, but the day someone blocks the exit because they are taking video or trying to get their carry-on when the plane is on fire - I’m going to exit even if it means going through you...
I am right behind you ... or leading the way. No one is blocking the way off of a plane

Last edited by puck021; May 10, 2018 at 6:36 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Plane. Is the missing word in the previous post.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jeff767
During a evacuation the crew would remain onboard until all passengers exited. You would not want them leaving first to help people off the wing.
Isn’t this why we have to accept the terms if sitting in an exit row that we are willing to help in the event of an emergency? The FA could tell the pax in the exit row to help other pax getting down which looks like what may have happened in this scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.