Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are passengers getting "Uber" like ratings from Flight attendants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are passengers getting "Uber" like ratings from Flight attendants?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I've had it happen twice this year. The FA's both said that it was generated by the system and was on their phone.

One of them was really puzzled - there were 2 pax to be thanked, both DM's in F and there was a 360 in back who wasn't on the list.
Has to be DL retaliating against the 360 for not WFBF!!
Old May 9, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Funnily enough there is an article about this very issue in today's Financial Times

Meanwhile, Delta, a self-styled “data-driven” airline, has started asking flight attendants to interact with five passengers, who at the moment must be members of their SkyMiles loyalty programme, on every domestic US flight. “You want to feel valued,” said Allison Ausband, senior vice-president of in-flight service. “We are getting thank-you notes from customers for acknowledging them on the aeroplane . . . Whether apologising for delays or acknowledging their [loyalty programme] status, we make them feel that they are that valued customer.” On a flight last year, the Delta team alerted their control centre when a passenger who was flying to an interview spilled a drink on himself. The airline provided a clean shirt for the passenger at arrivals.

https://www.ft.com/content/f3a931be-...9-4b5ddcca99b3
Old May 9, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Since we had heard several years ago that DL has a Customer Value Score for passengers, and perhaps also keeps track of complaints submitted, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was now some way for front-line personnel to submit notes on customer behavior either positive or negative.
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
This is been going on for a while now… The app identifies passengers who recently reached a milestone in medallion or million miler status, or recently had a cancellation or some other irrop problem with a trip.

The idea is for them to feel a personal touch at a key point in their relationship with the airline.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Special offer for our American Express Gold Cardholders, sign up on Today's flight and we'll give you 10,000 miles, a $50 voucher and 5 compliments on your upcoming trips!
DiverDave and Delta Dude like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM
My daughter (11) and I got a thank you on a recent MCO-LGA flight. Gold and Silver Medallions, no major milestones, problems, or anything. Flight attendant thanked us during beverage/snack service and I heard him say "we have one more person to thank on the list".
Old May 9, 2018, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RICforme
OK, just talked to the lead FA. So yes they do have the ability to rate passengers if they are behaving poorly. He said for instance, if a passenger has too much to drink and is rude and difficult, then the FA can code that passenger something like an "5.1...faliure to follow flight crew instructions". and that will be in the persons file, so future flights the FA can see that the person in 3A could be difficult. i'm actually quite interested in if this will be systemwide or just Beta on a few flights. I can see positives and negatives of this, but hey if Larry David on Curb your Enthusiasm can't get above a 1.0 in his Uber app, then maybe it's a good system to keep the complainers to a minimum! Since technology knows everything about me anyways, what's the harm in one more company scouring my personal data to figure out if i should have that 3rd Jack Daniels or not??
There's a big difference between being rude/difficult/having too much to drink versus refusing to follow(legitimate) cabin crew instructions.

This reminds me of teachers threatening to put a comment in one's "permanent record" if a kid or parent challenges them.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a big difference between being rude/difficult/having too much to drink versus refusing to follow(legitimate) cabin crew instructions.

This reminds me of teachers threatening to put a comment in one's "permanent record" if a kid or parent challenges them.
Yep, OP is (seriously) overthinking this. There isn't some "drink rate" (TOO LOW...PULL UP ) algorithm based on hundreds of different FAs scoring your ability to hold your liquor. They *might* note something if you've had a lot to drink and later get combative with another passenger, start demanding (rather than asking for) refills, or straight up ignoring flight attendant instructions.

As others have said, people have gotten personal thank you's based on certain milestones, recent IRROPS, or just because. That some DMs get a thank you and others don't is more likely a function of their value to DL, not their consumption of whiskey.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What a disastrous idea for exactly what happened here! Are they really supposed to thank some customers and ignore others?
This can be problematic. Some time ago when they were sending out extras to members - the Dean & DeLuca stuff and the headphones, etc. they did it a bit haphazardly, so totally rando GMs got stuff, but most DMs didn't, leaving them "Surprised and Not Delighted". "DM Privilege" got checked, and all that. FTR - I'd have been happy with the Dean & DeLuca stuff - those blackforest caramels are yummy - but it's not like I'm going to pitch a tantrum about it. I try to keep an even keel and if good things happen, great. If not, then not. I'm paying for a reasonably comfortable (#TeamWFBF) ride in an airplane to Where I'm Going, from Where I'm At.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Are you sure this is not for special milestones like reaching DM status or MM status?
That seems to be pretty haphazard also. Other than the perfunctory "Thank you for being a DM, Mr. Hazard" from GAs when boarding, I've never been recognized for reaching DM and my MM flight came and went. I did have a steward on a short haul AF flight decide to give me first meal choice because I was the only DM in the cabin, and a DL FA thanked me for my loyalty on what was my "Made it to DM" flight that year, but that's because it came up in conversation with her.

With other DMs I know, it seems like "recognition" can be hit or miss. Sometimes the red carpet comes rolling out, sometimes it doesn't. It is what it is. That said, they do seem to take care of me during IRROPS, etc., so no complaints really.

O/H
Old May 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
With other DMs I know, it seems like "recognition" can be hit or miss. Sometimes the red carpet comes rolling out, sometimes it doesn't. It is what it is. That said, they do seem to take care of me during IRROPS, etc., so no complaints really.

O/H
I ageee on the hit or miss. But I am a bit surprised and delighted (jk since nothing on a flight has ever delighted me) when they do recognize you. That. Sing said, on my Million mile flight this year they made Ana announcement, gave me a card and send me home with Prosecco. So that was surprising and almost delightful.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Please mark me down for silence.

No thanks...no connection info, no gate info, no use of my name in public amongst creepy strangers.
I'd prefer to be marked down for silence as well. It's interesting that this thread showed up when it did because I had a FA acknowledge me by name as a lowly GM in C+ recently. It was a fairly empty flight but I was surprised, I've never had that happen in Y/C+. I assume some algorithm prompted it on their device.

Maybe it is just me, but I find those interactions so forced and awkward and can never manage anything except a sheepish thank you in response. If there were a checkbox on the Delta website for "please do not acknowledge my presence," I would have checked it long ago. I appreciate the gesture, but the last thing I want is a FA coming up to me in a crowded cabin saying "thank you for your business Mr. RumPatrol, your connecting flight to (insert city here) is on time and leaves from gate C93143."

On international Delta One flights where there is a lot more separation between you and the other passengers, I don't mind the personalized service (especially for the price) but domestically, no thanks. Maybe that's just the tinfoil hat introvert side of me talking though.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
If there were a checkbox on the Delta website for "please do not acknowledge my presence," I would have checked it long ago.
^
Old May 9, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just cleaned up a number of posts that were off topic. Please keep the discussion on topic.

Thank you
Ryandc99, Moderator, Delta Air Lines

Last edited by ryandc99; May 9, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Old May 10, 2018, 11:37 am

Their little devices show a seat map, and certain seats are flagged for recognition. You'll notice that once they thank you, they mark off your seat in the app. As far as how often it happens, I'm not sure, but it's timed so that you don't keep getting it every time you fly.
Old May 10, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I think I found the hidden check box to NOT be contacted during flights, I have a 100% success rate of getting nothing on every flight
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.