FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Quite possibly the worst Delta experience in 30 years and 1.5 M miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1904947-quite-possibly-worst-delta-experience-30-years-1-5-m-miles.html)

TerryK Apr 22, 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29669444)
...........The real issue seems to be that you booked a really tight connection, and one that is very unadvisable when needing to change airlines and terminals. Complaining about not being told about checking in at JFK seems, to me, to be you just looking for a way to get Delta to fix the real issue, which is that you booked an irresponsibly tight connection, and don't want to pay to fix it. Luckily, your medallion status + having a separate domestic ticket entitles you to a free (domestic) SDC, so that is where you should focus your energy.

MCT for DL-MU connection at JFK is 1:40. OP seems to have booked two separate tickets to change in JFK for 1:57. It is very tight but doable if all goes well. As others posted, luggage can be checked through, the only issue is to go to MU check in desk to get boarding pass. MU doesn't allowed self-printed boarding pass from USA anyway. Even if OP were able to OLCI, he/she still need to go to MU check in desk.

pvn Apr 22, 2018 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 29668646)
Every time OP is asked whether DL booked him on one or two tickets, he responds by saying that he was booked on two PNR's. The former matters. The latter does not. Until OP answers the simple question of whether he had one or two tickets rather than PNR's, the who is right & wrong thing is not remotely answerable.

:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Richinga (Post 29662512)
[left]
Yes, I have two separate tickets with different PRN’s.

pvn Apr 22, 2018 7:20 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29669444)
What are the particular risks that you wish to have been warned about? In any case this was always a tight connection, with the risks of tight connections, and you knew that. Having one or two PNRs does not change that.

It certainly does change that. He can't check in for the overwater leg until he gets to JFK. That's a very, very significant difference.

TerryK Apr 22, 2018 7:55 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29670156)
It certainly does change that. He can't check in for the overwater leg until he gets to JFK. That's a very, very significant difference.

That's right. Having ATL-JFK-PVG on one ticket will allow thru check in which often, not always, works. However, that requires I fare and can easily double the costs.

jdrtravel Apr 22, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29670156)

Why is that a "very, very significant difference?" If luggage needed to be claimed and rechecked then, yes, it would be a big difference, but that's not the case. What's the big deal about checking in? Am I missing something?

I would expect that business class check in, when luggage is already checked, would take approximately 2 minutes, maybe 5 if there is a line. Other than that, everything else would be identical to traveling on one PNR, right?

pvn Apr 22, 2018 8:21 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29670272)
Why is that a "very, very significant difference?" If luggage needed to be claimed and rechecked then, yes, it would be a big difference, but that's not the case. What's the big deal about checking in? Am I missing something?

It effectively shortens the connection time by an hour since there's a check-in cutoff.

TerryK Apr 22, 2018 8:25 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 29670272)
Why is that a "very, very significant difference?" ....

The difference is that OP will be protected in case of flight delay/cancellation for ATL-JFK. Even with one thru ticket, OP may or may not be able to check in for MU flight at ATL. Checking in for partner operated flight is always hit-or-miss.:( Nevertheless, OP will be protected on one thru ticket if ATL-JFK is delayed or cancelled.

jdrtravel Apr 22, 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 29670301)
It effectively shortens the connection time by an hour since there's a check-in cutoff.

OK, that's a good point. But still, OP had an hour to make it just to check in. Apparently MU has this specific policy of not allowing advanced check in. I'm still not sure that this is something that the DL agent should have been expected to know.

MSPeconomist Apr 22, 2018 8:29 am

Almost any time there are separate tickets and separate PNRs, I would assume unless I specifically know otherwise that I will need to check in twice. In fact, even if the rules say that through check in is allowed, I would be skeptical about whether a random DL agent will know this and/or be able to do it on the day of travel.

ijgordon Apr 22, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR (Post 29669660)
It’s not just you but I don’t get why so many are jumping on the OP for not understanding/knowing this. I’ve flown just over 400,000-500,000 miles lifetime with Delta and it’s only in the last year or two that I learned about being able to check luggage across separate reservations, and it’s only in that time that I actually ever booked something like this.

I think it's only in the last couple of years that airlines stopped checking through bags on separate reservations (though some still do). FWIW, I think OneWorld (esp. AA/BA) are particularly strict about this, even if it's separate reservations on the same airline!

In that same time I learned that you may or may not be able to check-in for the second reservation; sometimes I’ve been able to. Sometimes I haven’t.. It’s also understandable to me that if OP was given info by DL and told that this was fine, that he thought he would be okay, especially if both tickets were booked through DL.
Well, if you were told you were being booked a separate reservation on a separate airlines on JFK-PVG, as the OP was, I'm not sure why you would think -- in the first place -- that you'd be able to check in for the JFK-PVG flight at ATL. And some basic research probably would have revealed that (apparently) you can't do OLCI either with MU. As I think someone mentioned, not sure why one would expect a DL agent to even know that. And that seems to be the bigger issue here than the baggage, which it sounds like they will check through. Caveat Emptor!

rcs85551 Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm

This is a prime example where a good travel agent would have saved the traveller lots of aggravation, time and money. Airline agents are supposed to sell flights marketed by the airline they are working for - whether it's the best deal for the passenger or not does not matter, since they are not in the business to sell tickets based on the fares filed by other airlines, including most alliance partners.

China Eastern is having a substantially better/cheaper fare structure between ATL and PVG, with the lowest published fare starting at 4920 USD plus taxes and fees, vs. Delta starting at 6440 USD plus taxes and fees. China Eastern allows interlining on the domestic flights to their LAX/SFO/NYC/ORD/YYZ/YVR gateways on many airlines - not just DL, but also AA, WS and AS - thus giving the traveller many more options.

With everything on one single ticket, odds are that through check-in should work - and in the event of a missed connection, the airline causing the misconnection would be obligated to re-route the passenger.

ATOBTTR Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 29670811)
Well, if you were told you were being booked a separate reservation on a separate airlines on JFK-PVG, as the OP was, I'm not sure why you would think -- in the first place -- that you'd be able to check in for the JFK-PVG flight at ATL.

I had a ticket on VA booked through DL for LAX-BNE and a separate DL ticket for SEA-LAX last year. Due to delays we barely made the “connection” at LAX but part of the reason we were able to make it because we were checked in for the VA LAX-BNE leg in SEA by the DL check-in agent. We landed at LAX after the check-in cutoff. Meanwhile I’ve done separate ticket connections like this for DL to DL and I could not be checked in for the second ticket until I got to the airport where the second ticket originated from.

The Situation Apr 23, 2018 2:26 pm

With one of the latest, if not the latest, update to the DL app, you are now able to check in for separate tickets that fly on the same day. Successfully did so a month ago.