FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Quite possibly the worst Delta experience in 30 years and 1.5 M miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1904947-quite-possibly-worst-delta-experience-30-years-1-5-m-miles.html)

Richinga Apr 19, 18 8:55 pm

Quite possibly the worst Delta experience in 30 years and 1.5 M miles

I know I have only posted a handful of times on this forum but I just had to vent at an incredibly frustrating Delta experience. Iím a DM with over 1.5M Miles.

Several months ago I booked a ATL-JFK-PVG round trip Z class through Delta. Since itís on Delta metal ATL-JKF and on MU on the JFK-ATL leg Delta booked it on two separate PRNís. (Iíve checked several times and for some reason they canít link the records). My flights are tomorrow. I checked in online for the Delta leg but I am unable to check in for China Eastern. After calling Delta they tell me that I have to check in for that leg at JFK. I explained that I only have a two hour layover and Iím concerned that China Eastern may give up my seat if I havenít checked in prior to two hours before the flight.

Now hereís what has me fuming. I asked Delta to put me on an earlier flight to JFK to give me an extra few hours of cushion to check in for the MU flight, and they said sure, but it will cost me fare difference and a $200 penalty. I calmly explained that had they explained to me at time of booking that I would have to check in for the China Eastern flight at JFK I would have booked the earlier flight to JFK.

It took me 35 minutes on the phone with a rude ďI could care lessĒ attitude agent to get my flight changed at a cost of $130. They were so generous to waive the change fee. (Sarcasm).

I dont understand why Delta canít check me in for a flight that they booked? Any suggestions to make sure I donít lose my seat on the MU flight? I called China Eastern but they werenít very helpful.

BenA Apr 19, 18 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Richinga (Post 29662359)
I know I have only posted a handful of times on this forum but I just had to vent at an incredibly frustrating Delta experience. I’m a DM with over 1.5M Miles.

Several months ago I booked a ATL-JFK-PVG round trip Z class through Delta. Since it’s on Delta metal ATL-JKF and on MU on the JFK-ATL leg Delta booked it on two separate PRN’s. (I’ve checked several times and for some reason they can’t link the records). My flights are tomorrow. I checked in online for the Delta leg but I am unable to check in for China Eastern. After calling Delta they tell me that I have to check in for that leg at JFK. I explained that I only have a two hour layover and I’m concerned that China Eastern may give up my seat if I haven’t checked in prior to two hours before the flight.

Now here’s what has me fuming. I asked Delta to put me on an earlier flight to JFK to give me an extra few hours of cushion to check in for the MU flight, and they said sure, but it will cost me fare difference and a $200 penalty. I calmly explained that had they explained to me at time of booking that I would have to check in for the China Eastern flight at JFK I would have booked the earlier flight to JFK.

It took me 35 minutes on the phone with a rude “I could care less” attitude agent to get my flight changed at a cost of $130. They were so generous to waive the change fee. (Sarcasm).

I dont understand why Delta can’t check me in for a flight that they booked? Any suggestions to make sure I don’t lose my seat on the MU flight? I called China Eastern but they weren’t very helpful.

It sounds like you're having trouble checking in online with China Eastern. What's the specific error you're getting? It might be something the community here is able to offer some advice on. If it's that China Eastern can't find your reservation, you may be able to call Delta and get a record locator that works on the ceair.com web site for online checkin. (If the problem preventing check in is Chinese visa verification, though, you'll still need to see an agent at the airport.)

If it helps, two hours is more than enough time to check in at the airport if that is necessary. China Eastern keeps their check in counter at JFK open until 1 hour before departure, according to the table on their web site: Closing Time of Check-in Counter | China Eastern Airlines So you're not at all risking getting offloaded from the flight if you don't check in until arriving in New York... I understand the concern and desire to pad with extra margin for error, but you would have been totally fine with your original schedule unless a major flight delay occurred.

cboy Apr 19, 18 9:02 pm

sorry you are going thru this....

with the PNR for China Eastern have you tried to check in via their website instead of Delta's?

**Edit someone beat me to it.

Richinga Apr 19, 18 9:10 pm

Yes, I tried checking in online on CE’s website and calling them. For some reason Delta’s ticket number doesn’t match CE, but CE does show my reservation. The agent for CE also says I need to check in at JFK. I assume it is primarily for passport and visa verification.

btonkid12345 Apr 19, 18 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Richinga (Post 29662359)
I know I have only posted a handful of times on this forum but I just had to vent at an incredibly frustrating Delta experience. Iím a DM with over 1.5M Miles.

Several months ago I booked a ATL-JFK-PVG round trip Z class through Delta. Since itís on Delta metal ATL-JKF and on MU on the JFK-ATL leg Delta booked it on two separate PRNís. (Iíve checked several times and for some reason they canít link the records). My flights are tomorrow. I checked in online for the Delta leg but I am unable to check in for China Eastern. After calling Delta they tell me that I have to check in for that leg at JFK. I explained that I only have a two hour layover and Iím concerned that China Eastern may give up my seat if I havenít checked in prior to two hours before the flight.

Now hereís what has me fuming. I asked Delta to put me on an earlier flight to JFK to give me an extra few hours of cushion to check in for the MU flight, and they said sure, but it will cost me fare difference and a $200 penalty. I calmly explained that had they explained to me at time of booking that I would have to check in for the China Eastern flight at JFK I would have booked the earlier flight to JFK.

It took me 35 minutes on the phone with a rude ďI could care lessĒ attitude agent to get my flight changed at a cost of $130. They were so generous to waive the change fee. (Sarcasm).

I dont understand why Delta canít check me in for a flight that they booked? Any suggestions to make sure I donít lose my seat on the MU flight? I called China Eastern but they werenít very helpful.

If you are a DM and your flight is tomorrow, why did they charge you a change fee or any fare difference? You should be able to Same Day Confirm. If you are on a paid premium cabin fare (Z class, as you state) on the ATL-JFK you can change to any other flight with the waived SDC fee, as long as any seat is available.

If the agent processed it as a change and charged the change fee and fare difference to match fare class availability (probably the agent misconstrued the F SDC policy and charged you to move to an earlier F cabin flight) that is an error. Call back and ask for a Supervisor to get it refunded.

Once you heard the agent's attitude, you should have HUCA. Also, if both tickets are on DL ticket stock, DL should be able to send your backs through and transfer them for you to CZ/CE.

Richinga Apr 19, 18 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 29662423)
Really, your worst experience in 30 yrs and you dont even know if there is an issue at all yet

The issue is that Delta was unwilling to accommodate a loyal passenger to rebook on an earlier flight to avoid a problem caused by Delta. Had Delta informed me that I would have to check in at the JFK airport and unable to check in online I would have booked an earlier flight. I think my request was more than reasonable, and given the circumstances they should have waived the fees and confirmed me on the earlier flight. It costs Delta NOTHING to switch me to another flight......Keep in mind that if I get bumped off the CE flight itís Deltaís responsibility to re-route me. Iím trying to save both me and themselves a headache.

Richinga Apr 19, 18 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29662446)
If you are a DM and your flight is tomorrow, why did they charge you a change fee or any fare difference? You should be able to Same Day Confirm.

i asked that question, twice! And I was put on hold, twice. The agent was obviously new on the job....and had a horrible attitude. I was on hold for over 30minutes. I accept a portion of the fault for not being smart enough to HUCA.

MSPeconomist Apr 19, 18 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Richinga (Post 29662392)
Yes, I tried checking in online on CE’s website and calling them. For some reason Delta’s ticket number doesn’t match CE, but CE does show my reservation. The agent for CE also says I need to check in at JFK. I assume it is primarily for passport and visa verification.

If you have two separate PNRs (and not just one confirmation number for the DL PNR and a different confirmation number in the MU system for their PNR, in which case the MU and DL flights should appear on the DL PNR but only the MU flight on the MU PNR), do you also have two separate tickets? If so, it's not just a connection and I would be concerned about having only two hours.

Otherwise, you're protected for misconnects and, in fact, DL might be able to check you in for the MU flight at the airport, even if OLCI won't work for you.

MSPeconomist Apr 19, 18 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29662446)
If you are a DM and your flight is tomorrow, why did they charge you a change fee or any fare difference? You should be able to Same Day Confirm. If you are on a paid premium cabin fare (Z class, as you state) on the ATL-JFK you can change to any other flight with the waived SDC fee, as long as any seat is available.

If the agent processed it as a change and charged the change fee and fare difference to match fare class availability (probably the agent misconstrued the F SDC policy and charged you to move to an earlier F cabin flight) that is an error. Call back and ask for a Supervisor to get it refunded.

Once you heard the agent's attitude, you should have HUCA. Also, if both tickets are on DL ticket stock, DL should be able to send your backs through and transfer them for you to CZ/CE.

You can only SDC on an international itinerary after all of the international segments have been flown.

btonkid12345 Apr 19, 18 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Richinga (Post 29662461)

The issue is that Delta was unwilling to accommodate a loyal passenger to rebook on an earlier flight to avoid a problem caused by Delta. Had Delta informed me that I would have to check in at the JFK airport and unable to check in online I would have booked an earlier flight. I think my request was more than reasonable, and given the circumstances they should have waived the fees and confirmed me on the earlier flight. It costs Delta NOTHING to switch me to another flight......Keep in mind that if I get bumped off the CE flight itís Deltaís responsibility to re-route me. Iím trying to save both me and themselves a headache.

Agreed. If you booked it as two separate tickets (and thus there wasn't a change fee or fare difference involved with the earlier domestic flight with keeping the international connection) this should have been an easy, free, SDC. The policy is actually on your side here.

I have had a domestic leg on the same ticket and PNR as an international, and wanted to "SDC" to an earlier domestic flight to have time at the hub to obtain my passport (LOL). They changed the domestic flight with Supervisor approval and didn't charge me any difference whatsoever. So even here, a Supervisor has discretion, and I was just on a paid main cabin fare - not even premium fare, as it seems you are.

Originally Posted by Richinga (Post 29662477)

i asked that question, twice! And I was put on hold, twice. The agent was obviously new on the job....and had a horrible attitude. I was on hold for over 30minutes. I accept a portion of the fault for not being smart enough to HUCA.

If the circumstances are on your side, you can always call back and ask for either a refund from a Supervisor, or if that is too challenging and you are willing to "settle" a voucher equivalent or greater than the difference they charged you, for the error/inconvenience.

pvn Apr 19, 18 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29662484)
You can only SDC on an international itinerary after all of the international segments have been flown.

OP mentioned it was two different PNRs

It could be (seems likely, in fact) that his original fare bucket was not available, though.

btonkid12345 Apr 19, 18 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29662484)

True. But the OP stated that there are two different reservations - implying likely two different ticket numbers - which is why he/she can only check in to JFK for now.

If there are two separate PNRs and ATL-JFK is by itself, it should have been an easy premium cabin SDC based on seat availability with all fees waived due to OP's DM status.

Richinga Apr 19, 18 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29662480)
If you have two separate PNRs (and not just one confirmation number for the DL PNR and a different confirmation number in the MU system for their PNR, in which case the MU and DL flights should appear on the DL PNR but only the MU flight on the MU PNR), do you also have two separate tickets? If so, it's not just a connection and I would be concerned about having only two hours.

Otherwise, you're protected for misconnects and, in fact, DL might be able to check you in for the MU flight at the airport, even if OLCI won't work for you.

Yes, I have two separate tickets with different PRNís. I have no idea why Delta was unable to book it under one record. And Yes, I was concerned about having only two hours to check in for the CE flight. Which is why I asked Delta to put me on an earlier flight. Deltaís approach appears to be totally hands off. They could care less.

I did happen to book my fare at about half of what Delta normally charges for their business class seats.....I canít help but wonder if that has something to do with their unwillingness to help.

MSPeconomist Apr 19, 18 9:59 pm

If you have two separate tickets and two separate PNRs, then to DL it should look like just a regular domestic trip and you should have been able to SDC for free. You should be able to get a refund for what you were charged to change to the earlier ATL-JFK flight.

In this case, you're not protected against IROPs (DL tends to be nice about separate tickets, especially to elites, but I wouldn't expect MU to do so) and two hours IMO isn't enough time.

However, I wouldn't expect to be able to do OLCI with DL for a MU flight on a separate ticket, even if you have DL ticket stock.

ADDED: I'm confused about how the OP could have a Z fare for the domestic ticket as well as the international one.

Richinga Apr 19, 18 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29662536)
If you have two separate tickets and two separate PNRs, then to DL it should look like just a regular domestic trip and you should have been able to SDC for free. You should be able to get a refund for what you were charged to change to the earlier ATL-JFK flight.

However, I wouldn't expect to be able to do OLCI with DL for a MU flight on a separate ticket, even if you have DL ticket stock.

I wonder why I canít check in online on MUís system?