Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS-DTW Premium Select Experience

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sure, if you pay to upgrade for it. PS is NOT the same as Comfort+. PS is an actual PE cabin.
thank you, that is what I thought. Any idea on cost for DL133 upgrade to PS from Q-fare class?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MarkCron
thank you, that is what I thought. Any idea on cost for DL133 upgrade to PS from Q-fare class?

I don't think that we have enough data yet to really know. You'd just have to call DL and ask. But changing an international flight also comes with a hefty change fee (is it $300?). You might be able to talk them out of the change fee if you are upgrading to a higher class of service. The waive of change fee for upgrades is only promised when you are upgrading on the same flight, but if you end up spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade to PE, you might have some luck asking (but please be aware that this would be a favor, they don't have to do this).
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think that we have enough data yet to really know. You'd just have to call DL and ask. But changing an international flight also comes with a hefty change fee (is it $300?). You might be able to talk them out of the change fee if you are upgrading to a higher class of service. The waive of change fee for upgrades is only promised when you are upgrading on the same flight, but if you end up spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade to PE, you might have some luck asking (but please be aware that this would be a favor, they don't have to do this).
PS is included in change fee waiver policy when upgrading, but if the fare diff is less than the change fee, you are supposed to pay the change fee (rather than the fare diff).

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I hope you reported the flight attendant. That behavior is totally unacceptable.
No actually I didn't, neither I got after flight survey. Normally I'm a quite vocal customer, but everything involving personal interactions is always quite subjective. I have no proof, so my claim isn't going to change a lot. I had a fair bit of issues before. I complained and was very generously compensated. I just don't want to get a "nasty always complaining nagger" sticker attached to my profile, so that I would be turned down next time when something real would happen.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Delta PS looks so much better than AAs PE....I would totally pay for this especially with getting FC on the connecting domestic segment.
I cannot compare to AA premium economy (never flown), but it doesn't look bad on pictures. AA has wider seats actually. As far as I know AA also offers same day complimentary upgrades to premium economy for AA Executive Plat, which would be very welcomed addition with Delta as well.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Thanks for the detailed review.
I think it is a bit early to say everyone should expect Op-ups to be easy to PE on this route (or any route). It's a new product, most likely sales will ramp up once it gets better known.
My vision is that Diamonds can expect often op-ups to PS on TATL for the time being. I think so because:
a) it's a new product in the market. People are not familiar with the product. Most of customers would simply not know it actually exists. A significant number of DL pax out of AMS and CDG is booked via AF and KL. AF and KL doesn't even sell PS on DL operated flights. Then the problem is how limited the product right now. Just a single flight to AMS (if we're talking about Europe), so you really need to go out of your way to buy PS. In a couple of years, if PS would be offered on wast majority of flights it could be a different story.
b) the cabin is massive. I don't know why DL decided to have 48 seats in premium economy (considering DL going on premium light configurations with A350 and 777 retrofit), but it seems a bit too much for the market. AF has been offering premium economy for over 10 years and ended up with just 3 rows (21-24 seats) on most of jets.

Originally Posted by EditingFX
Trip last week flew DL A350 DTW-AMS PS outbound & AF 787-9 PE on return. Thought they were both quite similar, though I might give the footrest nod to the A350;
AF installed a different premium economy product on 787 then on the the rest of the fleet, because the passengers hate their old product, myself included. I haven't tried new PE on 787 yet, though heard positive voices. The problem with AF PE (except 787) is that kind of 'shell' seat that slides down-front instead of reclining leaving very little legroom. I always had hard time finding comfortable position even on a daytime flights. I much prefer DL or CX kind of recliners in premium economy.

As I mentioned in my review Delta is shining with soft product. AF Premium economy soft is 90% economy (no tablecloth, plastic glasses, plastic cutlery, standard economy meal except a single appetiser), there are no even dedicated lavatories for PE. JAL provides 100% economy soft product in premium economy (all the meals from economy, no differentiation). Cathay Pacific wasn't bad, it was a different meal, much better than economy, real cutlery, china, but still not tablecloth and plastic glasses. So Delta brought PE soft product on a completely different level. I hope that sticks.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

MarkCron, I think the best you can do is DOD upgrade in Amsterdam (if you have enough time on connection). KLM staffs will be happy to sell you one and that shouldn't be expensive. I would say should be between 200 and 300 eur and maybe some miles. First make sure you're not getting op-up of course (especially if you're flying on AF strike day).

As a point of comparison AF was selling DOD upgrades from Y to PE from JFK to CDG for 15,000 FB miles or 175 eur (or 25,000 miles or 475 eur all the way to J). The flight wasn't overbooked.
MarkCron likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by urww
MarkCron, I think the best you can do is DOD upgrade in Amsterdam (if you have enough time on connection). KLM staffs will be happy to sell you one and that shouldn't be expensive. I would say should be between 200 and 300 eur and maybe some miles. First make sure you're not getting op-up of course (especially if you're flying on AF strike day).

As a point of comparison AF was selling DOD upgrades from Y to PE from JFK to CDG for 15,000 FB miles or 175 eur (or 25,000 miles or 475 eur all the way to J). The flight wasn't overbooked.
I've done a DOD upgrade to DL's D1 at AMS, and thought it was worth it as I had a board meeting 2h after landing MSP that particular time.

I'm wondering how I might go about an AF DOD upgrade at CDG? I'm booked into PE now on AF metal westbound/DL ticket stock, and would consider paying up to not be in the A330's older shell seat that gets poor reviews (it's a day flight, so I'll survive just fine if no UG available). If there is already a thread on the how-to, a pointer would be great. Thanks.

Excited to be tring DL PE on the eastbound DTW-AMS, and my first flight on an A350. I decided to try the bulkhead, as I like window and easy access to the aisle as a solo. Will comment on legroom, etc after the trip!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
PS is included in change fee waiver policy when upgrading, but if the fare diff is less than the change fee, you are supposed to pay the change fee (rather than the fare diff).

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

Yes, but my point is that the policy only applies when upgrading on the same flight you are already booked on, not when you are both changing flights and upgrading cabins.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RaflW
I'm wondering how I might go about an AF DOD upgrade at CDG? I'm booked into PE now on AF metal westbound/DL ticket stock, and would consider paying up to not be in the A330's older shell seat that gets poor reviews (it's a day flight, so I'll survive just fine if no UG available). If there is already a thread on the how-to, a pointer would be great. Thanks.
You should try in the lounge and then it will all depend on a person you'll talk to. They (a) could check upgrade table depending on you fare class and quote you an unreasonably high price tag or (b) they could check a right place for DOD upgrades regardless booking class and the price would be right. There is nothing you can do, so it would all be upon an agent. Being pushy won't help. So if you happen to have (a) then come back 10 min later and talk to someone else. They could also process upgrades at gate, but they really hate doing that (plus availability might be gone), so lounge assistants are your best bet.

I would not do upgrade to J on AF A330 myself unless it's really cheap (like 10,000 miles or 200 eur). The plane is ancient and terrible in all cabins. I think PE is actually the newest cabin installed there. Old AF J is not equally bad. The latest generation of old seats (NEV4) which you can find on some 380 and most 77W is quite comfortable with wide seats and barely noticeable angle. However A330 is equipped with the oldest possible seats, they are slippery, comfy only for lounging and in a pretty bad shape.

Originally Posted by RaflW
Excited to be tring DL PE on the eastbound DTW-AMS, and my first flight on an A350. I decided to try the bulkhead, as I like window and easy access to the aisle as a solo. Will comment on legroom, etc after the trip!
I think you'll enjoy your ride. I'm a fan of bulkhead seats and take them whenever I can. Obviously I couldn't pick a bulkhead seat on my recent flight, but it looked really nice with enough legroom to get out without disturbing your mate.
RaflW likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 4:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Here's a picture of my lovely feet sitting in Seat 20J (the window seat in the bulkhead row). The legroom was really good (I have a 30" inseam and I couldn't reach the wall with my feet if I wanted to be gross and put them up on it). I also had no problems exiting the seat while the person next me had their footrest out.

strickerj and TheHorta like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,
Just flew this service yesterday for the 2nd time (the 1st one back in August). I noticed that again at least originating from AMS (I have never tried the DTW-AMS sector), but never have I seen real glasses used during the service. All drinks are still using the plastic cups/paper cups.

As quoted from Delta's own site " You can also enjoy complimentary wine, beer and spirits in fine stemware, plus Starbucks® coffee and tea service" I have not seen a single "fine stemware" used. - just wondering if this is more used on the routes to Asia?

Also on my flight this time, noticed that for the 2nd meal service before landing, they might have timed it wrongly as it was served close to 1 hour before landing and of course during the last 30 mins to landing, they were rushing to collect trays, etc. Seemed like the crew this time around did not know what they were doing.

Still in general both seat and service is way better compared to Air France's Premium Economy service which is basically sans the Premium....

Cheers!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,
Just flew this service yesterday for the 2nd time (the 1st one back in August). I noticed that again at least originating from AMS (I have never tried the DTW-AMS sector), but never have I seen real glasses used during the service. All drinks are still using the plastic cups/paper cups.

As quoted from Delta's own site " You can also enjoy complimentary wine, beer and spirits in fine stemware, plus Starbucks® coffee and tea service" I have not seen a single "fine stemware" used. - just wondering if this is more used on the routes to Asia?

Also on my flight this time, noticed that for the 2nd meal service before landing, they might have timed it wrongly as it was served close to 1 hour before landing and of course during the last 30 mins to landing, they were rushing to collect trays, etc. Seemed like the crew this time around did not know what they were doing.

Still in general both seat and service is way better compared to Air France's Premium Economy service which is basically sans the Premium....

Cheers!
I recall reading somewhere recently that Premium Select is back to plastic cups. I believe it was a storage space issue in the galley (provisioning several non-stackable glasses/mugs per passenger, versus the cheaper stackable stuff)...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I recall reading somewhere recently that Premium Select is back to plastic cups. I believe it was a storage space issue in the galley (provisioning several non-stackable glasses/mugs per passenger, versus the cheaper stackable stuff)...
why cant Delta figure this out before they launch a service like this and parade it around? This keeps happening with Delta and their grandiose service announcements.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

why cant Delta figure this out before they launch a service like this and parade it around? This keeps happening with Delta and their grandiose service announcements.
They could, and they could easily figure out how to store enough glasses, they are just choosing not to, probably for financial reasons. I think it's a bad choice, as these small details count in this mid-level service. It is exactly details like this that help differentiate the cabin from coach, especially when the seats themselves are not particularly fabulous. Maybe they can't use stemware, but they could certainly use stemless glasses for everything like they do in domestic F, for that extra touch.
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
They could, and they could easily figure out how to store enough glasses, they are just choosing not to, probably for financial reasons. I think it's a bad choice, as these small details count in this mid-level service. It is exactly details like this that help differentiate the cabin from coach, especially when the seats themselves are not particularly fabulous. Maybe they can't use stemware, but they could certainly use stemless glasses for everything like they do in domestic F, for that extra touch.
Having seen the way these get packed, for a cabin of 48 seats you're looking at least at one full (probably 1.5) trolleys (or equivalent crates) of just stemless glasses and coffee mugs. They must have decided there's a better use for that space...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.