Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best routes/strategies for a mileage run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best routes/strategies for a mileage run?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
I thought Air Malta was part of SkyTeam (I've seen them in T4 at heathrow back when Delta was still there), but apparently not. However, they do codeshare with KLM/AF.
The codeshare doesn't help for MQMs. Because Air Malta is not a SkyTeam member, only a codeshare with DL would earn MQMs. Besides, some of the status "match" rules specify that the status miles for the challenge must be earned by flying the carrier of the FF program, not partners.

How is the OP arriving into the USA? Taking a DL TATL flight would obviously help a lot if that's possible and AF/KLM flights *might* count.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How is the OP arriving into the USA? Taking a DL TATL flight would obviously help a lot if that's possible and AF/KLM flights *might* count.
AF/KLM flights would absolutely count, but as it happens I had that flight booked already before the status match happened. Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer as a transatlantic one-way in J would sort the requirement out straight away.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The codeshare doesn't help for MQMs. Because Air Malta is not a SkyTeam member, only a codeshare with DL would earn MQMs.
He can buy a KLM or AF ticket from malta to SFO via AMS/CDG. The first segment wouldn't count if operated by Air Malta, but the TATL segment would.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bryanoneil
AF/KLM flights would absolutely count, but as it happens I had that flight booked already before the status match happened. Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer as a transatlantic one-way in J would sort the requirement out straight away.
Unless you buy a FULL J ticket, D1 TATL only earns 150% MQMs, which wouldn't be 12,500 OW even to SFO. Almost all business class fares only earn 150% MQMs.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Staying domestic makes it tough, but you can still do this for 9-10 cents per MQM. Pick out a few cities on either coast where you'd like to spend a day and then string them together. For example, LAS-DTW-TPA is a little under 4100 MQM in F for as low as $396. Take advantage of oddball transcons such as LAX-DCA as much as possible to pick up an extra 750 MQM.
bryanoneil likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
Not the cheapest, but gets you about 8000 MQMs: https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...-12;a=DL;c=MSP
Old Apr 14, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Staying domestic makes it tough, but you can still do this for 9-10 cents per MQM. Pick out a few cities on either coast where you'd like to spend a day and then string them together. For example, LAS-DTW-TPA is a little under 4100 MQM in F for as low as $396. Take advantage of oddball transcons such as LAX-DCA as much as possible to pick up an extra 750 MQM.
This seems like solid advice.
I did a few searches to try to help out the other day, but was coming up with that same 9-10cpm and figured someone would do better, but maybe that's the line and buying F is a good idea if you're really hauling and have no chance of upgrades.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
OP - double check status match challenge rules about flying anything other than Delta metal to qualify if considering flying other ST member airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.