Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How far we've come

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
I started flying DL in 2008 because of a client who was based in ATL and needed me to travel with them frequently. Before 2008, I used to fly TWA and then AA after 2001. (Originally from STL)
A lot has changed, and for the most part I think the experience is better. The SkyClubs have gotten better overall.

I don't miss the days of fabric seats, lack of power (of course, going back 20 years what would you plug in?), those overhead TVs that you'd sometimes bump your head on. (DL used to have them on the 737s and 757's in the aisle.

The DL app is another great addition. Remember the days of actually needing a boarding pass printed out?
I was a TWA-er, turned AA-er as well. When AA started going south in 2008ish, I played the field. I was in KC so I tried Frontier, United and US Airways before settling into Continental for a couple years. I moved to MSP in 2011 and switched to Delta and haven't looked back. Lots of things I don't miss from those bad-old recession days.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SomeGuy
I stumbled on a "Keep Delta My Delta" button the other day.
I still have mine.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I still have mine.
i still have my “Cincinnati Instead” button lol
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Skymiles GM
Wow -- good to remember where we've come from! Those A320s & 757s look terrible.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jamiestr
Wow -- good to remember where we've come from! Those A320s & 757s look terrible.

The fabric seats stand out as seeming so unsanitary.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The ecto-containment unit for 10,000 ghost farts trapped inside.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Many of the airlines outside North America still use fabric coverings even in business-class. I've read that leather or faux leather coverings are easier to keep clean, but I've also read that it's easier to sleep on the fabric coverings.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Remember the days of getting your seat assignment as a little sticker they would put on your paper ticket?
Or how ‘bout the days of showing up to the airport and they used different bag tags based on your destination. The sky cap would have to pull the right tag from the wall of tags, one for each city. That takes me back to Ozark and TWA.
TheMadBrewer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Or how ‘bout the days of showing up to the airport and they used different bag tags based on your destination. The sky cap would have to pull the right tag from the wall of tags, one for each city. That takes me back to Ozark and TWA.
As a kid (and older), I collected those tags
Old May 8, 2018, 9:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

First Class service on ORD-CVG in 2005. Plastic cup and vending machine type snacks from the snack basket. At least now we get glassware!
Old May 8, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I guess NWA is never coming back (never say never), but I must admit having fond memories traveling on Eastern Airlines, which died, came back and died again.
Let's see if Swift/Dynamic can raise Eastern Airlines again from the dead.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
I took my first flight as a middle schooler in 1987 and remember being asked if I wanted the smoking or non--smoking section??? [well, they didn't ask ME, but asked the adult in the party] really really hard to remember that those times even existed!!
Old May 9, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 4MM; HHonors Diamond
I remember boarding an Eastern Airlines flight from BNA to ORD back in the day. The gate agent calls row (something in the back) and comments, "Smokers Arise !". Then, as soon as the first "bing" went off, the matches came out and the cloud began to form. The only thing separating the two "cabins" was a tag on the headrest of one of the seats. What a way to fly. I don't miss that part of 'the good old days'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.