Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Drink Changes! Damrak & Mic Ultra in, Bombay, Miller Lite out?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink Changes! Damrak & Mic Ultra in, Bombay, Miller Lite out?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yes. If they only served it in the B club, instead of whatever herbal or fruit-infused millennial-focused experimental beer substitute that Sweetwater is currently offering.

What is the current flavoring? Salt grass? Bermuda grass? Wait, we're talking Georgia... Centipedegrass.

Beer. Should. Not. Have. Fruit. In. It.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:11 pm

Damarak sounds interesting but does it live up to Bombay or Tanqueray? Me thinks no.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
At the SEA Sky Club the other day they had a Delta specific beer on tap. I don't remember the specifics but it was specifically brewed for the SC. I'm more of a Scotch guy, so I rarely get a beer onboard or in the Sky Club, and hence don't pay much attention.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
Damarak sounds interesting but does it live up to Bombay or Tanqueray? Me thinks no.
Damrak is distilled by Bols, the Dutch company that also does Genever. I've had it and prefer it to Tanq and Bomb Saph. It's "bright", works well in a G&T, very different in a Martini. Remember, different isn't necessarily bad, just different.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by anon2k2
Damrak is distilled by Bols, the Dutch company that also does Genever. I've had it and prefer it to Tanq and Bomb Saph. It's "bright", works well in a G&T, very different in a Martini. Remember, different isn't necessarily bad, just different.
I agree. It is different. I just don't like it very much, in a GT or otherwise. Not as bad as Gordon's but I was happy with the Bombay, which is a standard London Dry. I suspect Bombay or Tanqueray would be preferred by most gin drinkers. I actually have been buying some of their call gins like Fifty Pounds and Tanqueray 10 or Hendricks for 400 miles, which is a pretty good return on SkyMiles. I wondered if they switched to inferior products as their wells for just this reason.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by danielonn
Tanqueray ^ (my gin of choice since college days... just could not afford it that often back then)

Bombay

I may give Damrak another chance. It seems to have at least some herbal taste to it, that I do not taste in Bombay.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerslc
.... I wondered if they switched to inferior products as their wells for just this reason.
Let me think about that for a bit.

[...comes back later] The wouldn't do that, would they?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by flyerslc
I agree. It is different. I just don't like it very much, in a GT or otherwise. Not as bad as Gordon's but I was happy with the Bombay, which is a standard London Dry. I suspect Bombay or Tanqueray would be preferred by most gin drinkers. I actually have been buying some of their call gins like Fifty Pounds and Tanqueray 10 or Hendricks for 400 miles, which is a pretty good return on SkyMiles. I wondered if they switched to inferior products as their wells for just this reason.
Only on FT would folks find it nefarious that DL has switched to an "inferior" gin that retails for something like 25% more than the products it is being compared to.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Only on FT would folks find it nefarious that DL has switched to an "inferior" gin that retails for something like 25% more than the products it is being compared to.
Took some searching since Damrak is hard to find, but Total Wine & More, Shrewsbury, MA:

Damrack, 750 ml, $18.99
Tanqueray (yes, the "basic" one), 750 ml, $19.99

Hardly a 25% premium for Damrak.

I concede that the more likely motivation for DL is that an importer is trying to get a greater footprint for a relatively unknown product and offered DL a price deal they could not refuse.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
PA state store system, both are normally $27.99; although, Tanqueray is on sale today for $3 off the normal price. Still not a 25% difference.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 20, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Took some searching since Damrak is hard to find, but Total Wine & More, Shrewsbury, MA:

Damrack, 750 ml, $18.99
Tanqueray (yes, the "basic" one), 750 ml, $19.99

Hardly a 25% premium for Damrak.

I concede that the more likely motivation for DL is that an importer is trying to get a greater footprint for a relatively unknown product and offered DL a price deal they could not refuse.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
PA state store system, both are normally $27.99; although, Tanqueray is on sale today for $3 off the normal price. Still not a 25% difference.
1) I wouldn't call Total Wine "hard to find".
2) In CA, it is $19.99 vs $16.49 for Tanqueray.

Slightly more, slightly less, same price - not sure it makes a big difference. In no case does the pricing suggest that Damrak is "inferior", a claim which you gladly glommed onto. Heck, there isn't even agreement in this thread that it is "inferior", with one poster noting that they prefer it (I know others that do as well). The whole "inferior" angle is typical FT whining, which is super, super, super tiresome.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've never had Damrak is it any good?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
...1) I wouldn't call Total Wine "hard to find"...
Neither would I. Nor did I.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Neither would I. Nor did I.
Strange, as someone using your account posted (bolding added):

I guess I'm just confused. Is it hard to find, or is it available at Total Wine? Alternatively, maybe your account has been hacked and someone posted something you don't agree with?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keith2004
I've never had Damrak is it any good?
It is pretty good. I'm not a huge gin guy, but my wife (gin is her favorite liquor) likes it and reviews are almost uniformly positive. As with most things, preferences vary, but the characterization of it as "inferior" would be considered wide of the mark by any reputable reviewer.

This is FT, though, so just assume it is terrible if you want a reason to whine today.
Keith2004 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:46 pm

It is easy to find Total Wine, but not all states (such as the one I live in) have distribution agreements to carry Damrak, so Damrak is hard to find. But yes, interesting to see the price for a 750 is a couple $ higher than Bombay, Beefeater and Tanqueray, but I try very hard to not let price influence my opinion of a product, so it will be interesting to try the next time I am in a SC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.