Community
Wiki Posts
Search

38 minute to change planes BNA>MSP>ANC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Minimum time to transfer to gate at other end of MSP

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful comments. My fault, i need to rephrase my question.
At MSP airport, has anyone had close to the minimum layover (30 minutes) and had to get to a gate on the other side of the terminal (ex. B to F, etc.)? How did it go? What was helpful? What was your experience?
Not looking for rebooking info. This could be because of airline schedule change or flight delay.
thanks

Last edited by jrmatt; Mar 13, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:44 am

You might want to review the numerous MSP existing connection threads in the DL forum.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I did. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:25 pm

You'll be fine - on the off chance you miss the flight just remember the flight number/time of the next ANC flight and ask to be put on that one immidiately (before someone else grabs the last seats)
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

We have learned to go online while on the plane and book the seats if obvious there will be a missed connection. This was a hard leason, but a good one. We have had to do this twice last year with delta so why we are paranoid.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @jrmatt.

Please follow the redirect as we send this to the DL forum, where additional merging may occur without warning.

Please note this thread started in the Flame Free Information Desk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrmatt
In June on a Saturday, flying Delta from Nashville, changing planes in Minneapolis and flying on to Anchorage. We will have 38 minutes to change planes in Minneapolis because Delta changed the times after booking. Looking at the history of this flight, we may be going from gate area B to gate area F. We are sitting near front of plane. Thinking of taking the corridor toward G gates and on to F gates. No carryon luggage, just a backpack of necessities if our luggage doesn't make it. There is another flight to ANC later that day but afraid to go ahead and change because Delta could change that flight as well. Anyone had a similar experience with this flight or a similar gate change? Also we welcome any tips or suggestions. Thanks
While a 38 min connection technically meets Minimum Connection Time for MSP (barely), it's still likely well below the consensus on "Sensible Connection Time". How much did DL change the connection by? If greater than 60 minutes, you're entitled to a free change and an easy reroute. Less than that, it will require agent discretion.

Punching in a random Saturday in June, I'm showing
BNA-MSP
Dep at 6:00 AM
Arri at 8:22 AM
**38 min layover**
MSP-ANC:
Dep at 9:00 AM
Arr at 11:52 AM

Is this your schedule? If so, that rules out calling DL to ask for an earlier BNA-MSP leg. If you're still looking to arrive in ANC by mid-afternoon, I would recommend calling DL, and asking for a reroute. Specifically state you're not comfortable with the 38 minute layover to connect in MSP, given the size of the airport and ask if they can re-accommodate you via another hub. An option with similar times is

BNA-SEA
Dep at 7:25 AM
Arr at 10:15 AM
**1 h 20 min layover**
SEA-ANC
Dep at 11:35 AM
Arr at 2:19 PM

There are other options as well with longer layovers, but with later arrivals into ANC.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I would recommend taking the tram that runs the length of C concourse. Then walk the central mall to the F concourse. Another option would be to catch one of the electric carts that cruise around MSP. There won’t be any right at your gate, if you do indeed arrive at a B gate, but there are likely to be some at the end of C when you get up there. Alternatively, if you do walk the sky bridge to G, there are often carts waiting at the end of the sky bridge at G.
obscure2k, tvnwz and jrmatt like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks but reacheduling not an option. Was hoping to come across someone in similar situation in past and to learn their experience.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's no magic. CarmenOM gave you the path gate-to-gate quickly. If that fails Delta can rebook you MSP-SEA-ANC.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Not magic. Just someone else with similar experience. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While not going to ANC, I've had plenty of short connections in MSP... as I'm sure others have. For some reason DL schedules a lot of <50 min connections there, and it can take a good 15+ to get from gate to gate depending where you arrive and have to depart.

While certainly not ideal, it is doable but with no margin for any delays. If your flight arrives as scheduled and you have to go across the airport, you'll probably get there when they are boarding zone 2 or 3. Really hard to predict where your flight will be going in and departing from though. Personally MSP connections under 45 min make me uncomfortable. If it was SLC I'd say piece of cake.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:57 pm

You might also want to keep in mind that Delta tends to pad their schedules pretty heavily, and unless something goes wrong most of my flights arrive 15-20 minutes early. I have had a ton of sub-60 minute connections at MSP and have never missed one.
jrmatt likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I suggest you bring a skateboard.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I rarely transit in MSP (only done it twice actually and my last time was right after the merger so it's been a while) but I wouldn't be too concerned as long as your flight is on time. I wouldn't be as concerned considering its early morning and DL typically pads their schedules a bit. DL mainly parks two class CRJs on the C Gates (but occasionally A/B) and 757s would go out of F/G. If you arrive on C and have to go to G that can be done in 5-10min easily. If you have to go C to F, I would recommend taking the tram to the end of the C Gates and cut through the mall to get to the F Gates. As others have reported above, you can typically flag down a cart if you really need it.
jrmatt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.