Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get food poisoning Friday night from the LAX T3 SkyClub???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

Only thing I ate all day on Friday was some food at the T3 SkyClub in the evening around 10pm.

I ate:

About 6 pieces of the cold chicken
4 spoonfuls of the cold noodles next to the chicken
2 spoonfuls of the ginger rice
1 spoon of mac & cheese
1 bite of the carrot mixture
2 glasses of water from the soda machine

It started when I landed at about 3 hours later @ 2am (PHX time, which is 1 hour later than LAX), and didn't stop until Saturday evening about 7pm.

It was not pretty.

Anyone else have an unlucky trip on Friday through LAX?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
3 hours from consumption to onset is pretty fast for food poisoning unless it was staphylococcal which would almost certainly impact a lot more people. Probably should consider that it was previous meal (people are really bad at identifying the source of food poisoning because even the fast acting ones can take 6+ hours before any symptoms which means you likely had a few things to eat after the infected food).
Source: https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm103263.htm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Only thing I ate all day on Friday was some food at the T3 SkyClub in the evening around 10pm.

Anyone else have an unlucky trip on Friday through LAX?
Sorry to hear. Please make sure you let Delta know and I think hearing about the history of that facility (sanitary issues), you should let LAWA know. Perhaps tweet or direct message them?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Agree with the others - it’s equally likely to have been something you had 6-24 hours prior, based on the incubation period for most stomach based illnesses. Short term reactions can certainly happen, of course, but it’s worth broadening your horizons rather than assuming it was the most recently consumed meal.

Norovirus can also be a cause, which you could have picked up in the last few days (particularly if traveling internationally)...

In any case, don’t expect Delta to do much even if you do have evidence. In a past case where several colleagues and I were able to identify a particular onboard meal as a potential source, Delta waited over a month to investigate and then referred me to their risk management department rather than actually bothering to look into the issue. They eventually contacted the caterer, but by that point two months later any useful information was long gone. They also claimed there were no other reports of illness, despite my colleague filing one via the post flight survey - after which they admitted they didn’t look at those surveys. All in all a pretty unsatisfying experience, so i’d set your expectations pretty low.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
FWIW (and it may be worth nothing), I used the T2 SkyClub Friday night for a couple of hours, had some food there, and had no problems.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I get food poisoned every time I eat my wifes food
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by KingBraden
3 hours from consumption to onset is pretty fast for food poisoning unless it was staphylococcal which would almost certainly impact a lot more people. Probably should consider that it was previous meal (people are really bad at identifying the source of food poisoning because even the fast acting ones can take 6+ hours before any symptoms which means you likely had a few things to eat after the infected food).
Source: https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm103263.htm
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Sorry to hear. Please make sure you let Delta know and I think hearing about the history of that facility (sanitary issues), you should let LAWA know. Perhaps tweet or direct message them?
I don't use any social media. I guess I could send in a comment on the website.

I am not looking for any compensation or anything.

Originally Posted by BenA
Agree with the others - it’s equally likely to have been something you had 6-24 hours prior, based on the incubation period for most stomach based illnesses. Short term reactions can certainly happen, of course, but it’s worth broadening your horizons rather than assuming it was the most recently consumed meal.

Norovirus can also be a cause, which you could have picked up in the last few days (particularly if traveling internationally)...

In any case, don’t expect Delta to do much even if you do have evidence. In a past case where several colleagues and I were able to identify a particular onboard meal as a potential source, Delta waited over a month to investigate and then referred me to their risk management department rather than actually bothering to look into the issue. They eventually contacted the caterer, but by that point two months later any useful information was long gone. They also claimed there were no other reports of illness, despite my colleague filing one via the post flight survey - after which they admitted they didn’t look at those surveys. All in all a pretty unsatisfying experience, so i’d set your expectations pretty low.
I flew HKG-SEA in D1 overnight landing Friday morning @ SEA. I ate the main meal and mid-flight snack on the flight, but did not eat the arrival meal. We arrived in SEA at 7:22am. So, I am guessing that the last time I ate ANY food was approximately 2:00am SEA time on the flight.

I drank water at the SEA SkyClub from a Dasani bottle.

I flew SEA-LAX in F but declined the terrible food options (Spicy shrimp pasta salad or a German sausage--no thanks, Delta) I drank a Sprite on that flight from a can.

I was at LAX from about 3:45pm-11:30pm. I posted the food that I ate in the T2 SkyClub around 10pm, which was the only food in put into my stomach since almost 22 hours, hence why I am attributing the sickness to this food.

I am certainly not a doctor, and I have only had food poising once--and it also kicked in within about 4-5 hours.

I had no stomach pains, no sickness feeling. Just straight liquid coming out the back end at 2am, 5am, 9am, 12pm, 1pm, and 6 pm. It ws not fun. When I got food poisoning in Bangkok I felt completely sick for about 20 hours straight.

I feel extremely dehydrated today and weak from it.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
FWIW (and it may be worth nothing), I used the T2 SkyClub Friday night for a couple of hours, had some food there, and had no problems.
Good to hear. Thank you for the data point. ^^
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Sorry you’re suffering; any stomach bug is no fun. I’m sure whatever you picked up was on DL property, but was just as likely to originate from surfaces, handles, switches, levers, and, of course, serving utensils. Norovirus is rampant this time of year as people in the Northern Hemisphere spend more time indoors.

I had a similar thing last winter that started 12 hours after a baptism pot luck. I strongly think it was because I ate with my hands after serving myself, without handwashing or Purell in between (I’m always paranoid in SCs). In that case it lasted <24 hours, just in time for me to fly to Europe.

Get well and keep up those electrolytes!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
It could be something you picked up from food in China, even inadvertently drinking impure water.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
It could be something you picked up from food in China, even inadvertently drinking impure water.
I think (from posts in other threads) OP only visited Hong Kong, where drinking water and hygiene standards are very high and have been for a long time, dating back to the British colonial period. Their tap water is actually some of the best in the world.

Not to say it couldnt be possible - many ingredients come from elsewhere in the region - but HK operates under a totally different set of public health and hygiene standards and is much less of a likely culprit than the rest of the PRC.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:45 am

Things like Listeria can take 1 - 4 weeks to appear. I'd have trouble telling you what I ate four meals ago much less four weeks ago. That's partly what makes it nearly impossible to pinpoint with only one data point...not to minimize your discomfort, I've been there and it's about the least amount of fun a person can have without reenacting scenes from "The Deer Hunter"
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
The most common mistake people make when it comes to food poisoning is thinking the last thing they ate was what made them sick. Some food borne illnesses don't manifest for 48-72 hours and others as posted above like Listeria can take weeks.
On top of that it could have been a stomach virus you picked up from just abut anywhere in your travels.

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 12, 2018 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:30 am

What should all travelers carry to combat food poisoning or stomach virus? I usually carry some zofran for vomiting ever since I got what I am pretty sure was food poisoning a couple years ago...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mysterym
What should all travelers carry to combat food poisoning or stomach virus? I usually carry some zofran for vomiting ever since I got what I am pretty sure was food poisoning a couple years ago...
Activated charcoal pills - they'll neutralize everything in your stomach (note that they'll also wipe out any concurrent medication). Oral rehydration salts. Anti-diarrheals, obviously.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than doing social media research as to who might have gotten sick, call DL ASAP and report the incident. Same with other places you ate. If you are it, it wasn't likely that location. But, relying on FT as a sample, probably isn't useful either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.