Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming MR to HKG... int'l noob

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
This is only relevant if you're not terminating at SEA, or any port of entry. If you have onwardbase on one single connection, duty free needs to be checked.
Based on one single data point when one of my bag failed to load (special handling) onto DL38, I would say that a large majority are connecting base on the TSA line when I got there after the post-CBP onward bag drop.
The only DL metal flight to HKG is DL 38/39 exSEA.
This is why I am reminding DL 38 flyers from HKG about this onward duty-free issue as HKG and SIN have the most competitive duty-free prices in Asia.

I am sure you would need to put liquids into your check bags connecting LAX PMD?

Last edited by tentseller; Mar 8, 2018 at 3:23 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nichelle
My inbound flight a few days ago landed a few minutes early. I can't remember the gate, though. I see that you are not checking bags so that's good. I agree with the previous poster about their efficiency, though, as the wait for my bag was only 5 minutes. For the return, my departure gate was gate 21.
Lucky you. I haven't had a DL38 departure in the 20-30's gate in over a year (8 flights).
If you check HKG layout map you will understand why I carp about gate 65.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
HKG is an easy transition to Asia. Part British and lots of English speakers and signs. You'll love it. And War Eagle (04 Alum)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
HKG is an easy transition to Asia. Part British and lots of English speakers and signs. You'll love it. And War Eagle (04 Alum)
Weagle Weagle... '09 here
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by tentseller
Just a note for all US-bound flyers from Asia TPAC: After you land and processed for entry into the US, before reaching your gate you will be required to go through US TSA security.
If you have dutyfree liquid make sure you place it into your check bags or plan to have one checked after CBP customs and before this security.
TSA does not honour the tamperproof sealed bags from outside the US.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
This is only relevant if you're not terminating at SEA, or any port of entry. If you have onward connection, duty free needs to be checked.
Actually, it's not relevant at all, if the duty free is properly packaged. I'm continually surprised at the lack of awareness of the TSA international inbound liquids rule:

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:04 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by war.eagle.30
I anticipate making SM this year, and would like to pad a little to the rollover for next year... possibly make GM depending on how many upgrades I decide to purchase.
I'm sorry but did I read this right?

You're doing mileage runs just to make Silver???

You could get most of the Silver perks by simply getting one of the very-easy-to-get-approved DL AMEX cards.

I actually just landed in HKG on a 12-hr turn mileage run on DL. I had some GUCs to burn and only needed to do this one trip for the year to get up to PLAT because the DM waiver is gone; so, I have switched all of my 100,000+ miles per year flying to AA and One World. (this is the first time in years where I haven't been able to access the Pier Lounge here.

I remember my very first MR! I still do 1-2 of them per year to JNB. But this fare was less than $500 LAX-SEA-HKG-SEA-LAX so I had to jump on it.

After next year I will not longer travel on DL--once I lose my DM, then my PLAT...

MY GUC cleared for SEA-HKG and I am #1 for 3 seats on tomorrow's UG list to J.

Staying at the Regal Hotel right now.

HKG is a fun city, but I am coming back here in June so I didn't feel like staying here and seeing any of the city this time.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
If you can still cancel your hotel I would; stay somewhere in Kowloon, walk around at night, and in the morning take the Star Ferry from Kowloon to HK island and from there the Airport Express to HKG.
Dave737 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by bennos
Actually, it's not relevant at all, if the duty free is properly packaged. I'm continually surprised at the lack of awareness of the TSA international inbound liquids rule:
I wonder how many TSA people know how to count the 48 hours!

Originally Posted by Dennis88
If you can still cancel your hotel I would; stay somewhere in Kowloon, walk around at night, and in the morning take the Star Ferry from Kowloon to HK island and from there the Airport Express to HKG.
I agree! By going to a hotel in town, the OP doesn't have to predict between being tired or awake and can sleep between 0 and 11 hours (and whenever you feel like) and have the balance of time spend roaming around in town (either side of the harbour). When the AE is operating, it's only 30 minutes to get between airport and hotel. But getting back to Regal Airport in the middle of the night is not an easy ride. Night buses take a while to make extra stops around the airport, and taxis cost a lot.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
By the TSA Smurfs
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:15 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

DL 38 HKG-SEA Departing from Gate 21 today. 3/9/18.

Nice short walk from the SkyTeam Lounge.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice that DL splurge for a closer gate.
Let see if they keep it for next Monday
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:53 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Delete

Last edited by 355F1; Mar 9, 2018 at 10:53 am Reason: already replied
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Flightaware shows that Delta 39 landed 2 hours ago and parked at Gate 29; and that the most recent Delta 38 left from the same gate.

Mrs. ND76 and I are headed for HKG three weeks from now. We are going to spend 7 nights there. We are hopeful of using our GUCs (we are waitlisted in both directions; the westbound showed 24 empty D1 seats; the eastbound doesn't look good, with only 8 D1 seats left).
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dennis88
I also advise against staying at the airport, but would stay on HK (e.g. Wanchai or Sheungwan) instead of Kowloon.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND76
Flightaware shows that Delta 39 landed 2 hours ago and parked at Gate 29; and that the most recent Delta 38 left from the same gate.

Mrs. ND76 and I are headed for HKG three weeks from now. We are going to spend 7 nights there. We are hopeful of using our GUCs (we are waitlisted in both directions; the westbound showed 24 empty D1 seats; the eastbound doesn't look good, with only 8 D1 seats left).
HKIA low numbered gates are too busy for them to let DL overnight a plane at the gate from 1830 to 1050 the next day. There is heavy departure traffic to EU and Australia the hours around midnight.

Last edited by tentseller; Aug 6, 2018 at 7:14 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.