Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Lice Ettiquette

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Finally, the real elephant in the room is the early-boarding. Delta finally cracked down on animals on-board. They need to intervene to ensure only legit special needs/extra-time and legit families with small children board. Too many people abuse the system. If you can walk without assistance you shouldn't be allow to board in the extra-time zone.
I think this is the mouse in the room. I rarely see more than a handful of preboards, and I am unable to imagine how even a group of say 30 preboards would have any effect on the boarding scrum.

I don't think Delta wants to be in the business of quizzing preboards as to their medical conditions.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:44 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I think this is the mouse in the room. I rarely see more than a handful of preboards, and I am unable to imagine how even a group of say 30 preboards would have any effect on the boarding scrum.
I don't think that most people who care about this actually think that cracking down on "abuse" will actually improve the process.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I don't think Delta wants to be in the business of quizzing preboards as to their medical conditions.
If you want pre-boarding because of age or a medical condition then you should be required to request special assistance. I've seen flights with 10 extra-time passengers and another 5 or 6 families even though none of the children were under age 3 or 4. As far as the federal government seems concerned, someone is a child until age 26. So, "young children" could be a teenager. I also object to special boarding privileges for someone supposedly on active-duty military status.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Boarding in ATL via B concourse with their cattle call style signs has increased the gate lice issue. Now the signs are all over ATL and spread to other airports. It makes deplaning purely awful in tight gates like the end of B.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The situation would also be better if Delta's boarding matched reality. Premium is confusing, especially now that the premium-economy class of service is real. Then there's the up-sell situations in which Delta and other airlines sell priority boarding. Average passengers, many of whom are the problem, don't know the difference between premium, Sky Priority, zone 1/group A and whatever else.

Simplify it:
Zone 1, first-class/business-class (and diamond-medallion elites).
Zone 2, Sky Priority.
Zone 3.
Zone 4.
Zone 5.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The situation would also be better if Delta's boarding matched reality. Premium is confusing, especially now that the premium-economy class of service is real. Then there's the up-sell situations in which Delta and other airlines sell priority boarding. Average passengers, many of whom are the problem, don't know the difference between premium, Sky Priority, zone 1/group A and whatever else.

Simplify it:
Zone 1, first-class/business-class (and diamond-medallion elites).
Zone 2, Sky Priority.
Zone 3.
Zone 4.
Zone 5.
I agree. We all make fun of AA's boarding process but I think it makes a lot of sense because it is the clearest system.

It should really be:
Pre-boards
Zone 1 - FC/D1/DM
Zone 2 - Sky Priority
Zone 3 - Silver and Credit Card holders
Zone 4-x: However Delta wants to do it (I'd argue for a WilMA style or some other algorithmic way, but if Delta wants to keep their fare class system then so be it)

Done.

Last edited by ethernal; Mar 6, 2018 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:18 am

Finally got a gate assignment with the boarding pillars yesterday. Absolutely loved it, because they controlled where the gate lice stand. I always stand off to the side, as far out of the way as possible (by a window if possible) until I am ready to board. I refuse to queue up at the pillars. When they started boarding, it looked like the CF at WN gates, but when they called SKY, there was not a single person in the way. It was amazing.

DL has done a better job of enforcing pre-boarding abuses recently and too many carry-ons. I have seen a few people turned away and yesterday the lady in front was told to consolidate but kept walking. The gate agent yelled at her to come back and consolidate. I shook my head and the gate agent looked at me with that "sheesh, some people" look. It was pretty awesome to see.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:26 pm

I don't think Delta can legally ask what medical condition a person has. HIPAA laws prevent Delta from asking ANYTHING about medical conditions
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:26 pm
pvn
Suspended

I get that every busybody wants to redesign the boarding process, but really, y'all need to give it up on the "premium -> zone 1" thing.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by pvn
I get that every busybody wants to redesign the boarding process, but really, y'all need to give it up on the "premium -> zone 1" thing.
Why? Because it makes too much sense for Delta to ever implement?
Newman55 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:38 pm
pvn
Suspended

It makes perfect sense if you have a particular set of expectations, but the people designing the system have a different set.

In any case, it doesn't matter anymore with the boarding pillars.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I guess the lady though she had been standing in a "line"; albeit malformed and outside the lane.

If in doubt, I simply queue within the lane and wait for my call.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by stillontheroad
I don't think Delta can legally ask what medical condition a person has. HIPAA laws prevent Delta from asking ANYTHING about medical conditions
Though Delta may ask a general question as to why they need to pre board. I.e. they can ask if they have a medical condition just not the specific medical condition. TSA has to follow the same when it comes to the nudi scope.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Mar 6, 2018 at 6:20 pm
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by bretthexum
In the MSP G18-22 area it can be an absolute cluster-F. No where to even sit if you want to sometimes and boarding is a free for all. One time I was kind of in the same situation... and a lady muttered about me cutting in line. There was literally nowhere else to sit or stand and I just shook my head and said go ahead of me. Then in typical passive-aggressive fashion she says, "you must be very important, since you have to cut". I just dropped it at that point and boarded. Then it turns out she was my seatmate in first for 2.5 hours. Awkward.
Gates 1-3 are the exact same. All those tables and such for the restaurants make it an absolute disaster come boarding time.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Some people have very boring lives so they get their kicks in any way they can, such as this couple. I would've just chuckled and let it go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.