Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

USA Today: The number of Delta passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: The number of Delta passengers who bought tickets with NRA discount: 13

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
This is classic! So a few legislators said they would vote one way or another and suddenly they are squelching free speech by imposing a tax that should rightly be imposed. I am sure all those upset about this were all up in arms when the IRS was squelching free speech a few years ago.

Once again, this is not about tax policy (or gun policy for that matter).

I don't have an opinion on whether or not the tax policy proposal was good policy. I don't know about, or really care about, the economic policy of the state of Georgia.

What I care a whole lot about is the state taking what I see as unconstitutional punitive action in response to any person or entity making a political statement or taking political action that the government leadership disagrees with. DL is free to take a position against or for the NRA, and in a democracy where free speech and nonviolent political expression are firmly protected rights, the government is explicitly not free to respond to this political expression with any type of punishment. Citizens, on the other hand, are free to respond. This is really important for all of us, conservative and liberal alike.

When Cagle tweeted that "corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back” as the reason for dumping the tax break, it suddenly became a very real free speech issue. In this case Cagle was not responding as an individual using his own rights to free speech, rather, he was (and remains) a representative of the state, and proposing that the state unconstitutionally punish Delta for Delta's constitutionally protected political expression. He proposed doing this through one of the most powerful tools that the state has: taxation.
jmanirish and gooselee like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Once again, this is not about tax policy (or gun policy for that matter).

I don't have an opinion on whether or not the tax policy proposal was good policy. I don't know about, or really care about, the economic policy of the state of Georgia.

What I care a whole lot about is the state taking what I see as unconstitutional punitive action in response to any person or entity making a political statement or taking political action that the government leadership disagrees with. DL is free to take a position against or for the NRA, and in a democracy where free speech and nonviolent political expression are firmly protected rights, the government is explicitly not free to respond to this political expression with any type of punishment. Citizens, on the other hand, are free to respond. This is really important for all of us, conservative and liberal alike.

When Cagle tweeted that "corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back” as the reason for dumping the tax break, it suddenly became a very real free speech issue. In this case Cagle was not responding as an individual using his own rights to free speech, rather, he was (and remains) a representative of the state, and proposing that the state unconstitutionally punish Delta for Delta's constitutionally protected political expression. He proposed doing this through one of the most powerful tools that the state has: taxation.
I’m not a lawyer to be able to comment on what is and isn’t unconstitutional but otherwise I agree. It’s certainly a knee-jerk and unethical, and short-sighted by the GA State Legislature. And all one needs to do is look at the original Tweet from the Lt Governor - “ I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.” “Fully reinstates its relationship with the NRA”? How can the state government demand a private entity engage in a relationship with another private entity? What happened to freedom of association? THAT is the issue I take with this, even when I think DL was also in the wrong for taking the public route they did in the first place. But two wrongs don’t make a right, and the move by the GA State Legiksature, and especially the way the message from Lt Gov Cagle is worded is worrisome and troubling.
gooselee likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

... It’s certainly a knee-jerk and unethical, and short-sighted by the GA State Legislature. ...
I agree. Although, its a bit difficult not to enjoy a bit of schadenfreude.

All three adjectives apply in your statement about the Legislature.

But, I submit, two of them still apply to DL.

What we have here is two groups grasping for PR benefits. One group in $100 suits, and the other group in $700 suits.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by sethb
Actually, the airlines (all of them) had been buying aviation fuel without sales tax. The sales tax exemption expired and the proposal was to renew it.
Correct, however the tax break expired at the end of June 2015.

Originally Posted by pvn
As noted, you're wrong, but more importantly, it doesn't really matter whether it was an existing one (which was to be extended) or a proposed future one.
Uh no, read above the tax break expired at the end of June 2015. So for over two and half years Delta was NOT RECEIVING a tax break for fuel which changes the context of many of the posts. That was my point.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...variation-test

Delta, et al to get tax break after all. (at least until February 2019)
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:02 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
feckless GOP gasbags were just grandstanding and caved in the end? I'm shocked.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
feckless GOP gasbags were just grandstanding and caved in the end? I'm shocked.
Wow. Grandstanding politicians... crazy.
MCO Flyer, TheHorta and SeaHawg like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Well... at least it’s only the GOP. It’s good to know the Left is stocked with righteous saints who have our best interests at heart. ;-)
MCO Flyer and SeaHawg like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Well... at least it’s only the GOP. It’s good to know the Left is stocked with righteous saints who have our best interests at heart. ;-)
The only thing any of them 'at heart' is their raises, their vacation and good health insurance.
MCO Flyer, TheHorta and SeaHawg like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.