Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

unprofessional & rude diamond line skymiles representative....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

just got off the phone with an extremely rude skymiles diamond rep & felt the need to vent....

here is what happened....i had taken a flight with a partner airline earlier this month & i purchased the fare in 'k' class which is a miles eligible class as per the delta website....on the day of the flight i was offered an upgrade to business class but i was unsure whether the upgrade would exclude me from earning miles & mqms so i called the diamond line to ask what would happen in this scenario....i was informed by the agent that the class i flew in had no bearing & the class i purchased the fare in would determine the skymiles activity....based on this information i went ahead & processed the upgrade....my boarding pass indicated the class of service as 'd'....

when the miles hadn't posted after 10 days, i filled in the missing miles request form online....a day later the activity posted to my account but i received no miles due to 'activity not eligible for mileage credit'....i called the diamond line again & spoke with an agent who checked with the relevant team & told me to send in another 'missing miles' request online with a copy of the ticket & boarding pass....she also told me to explain the upgrade situation in the comments section....i did so & waited another week but when nothing happened i called in again today & that's when i got this rude agent....

when she answered the line i proceeded to take her through the chain of events but she cut me off midway & just told me to give her the date of travel & the activity i was calling about....i did that & told her there was a story behind it & this was the second time i was calling but she wasn't interested in listening & said something to the effect 'sir, if you go on talking then you are just wasting time....this activity is not eligible for mileage credit'....i told her that she needed to listen to the chain of events because she would then understand why i was calling....i started my story from the beginning but mid way through she cuts me off again & points me to the partner airline section on the delta website where 'd' class is not a miles eligible class....i once again tried to tell her how i went from 'k' class to 'd' class but she just puts me on hold saying that she is going to check with the relevant team....

a few minutes later she returns & says that she has checked with the international mileage team & i have been informed that this is not a miles eligible class & i am fraudulently trying to get mileage for a flight that i am not eligible for....she further states that she is going to make a note in my account that i am trying to do so fraudulently....at this point i just tell her to stop & listen to what i have to say....she states that i can say whatever i want but i would just be wasting everyone's time....i still tell her to listen & in about 30 seconds i explain that i bought the ticket in 'k' class, when i was offered the upgrade i called the diamond line to check if the upgrade would exclude me from earning miles, when i got the confirmation that it wouldn't then i processed the upgrade & traveled in 'd' class....after hearing the story she states that its unlikely i called the diamond desk since that would have entailed me making a long distance phone call (since i am based in india) & that i probably called the partner airline instead of delta & am now making up the fact that i spoke with a delta representative....she further stated that she is going to make a note in my account that i am now changing my story in order to get the miles i am not entitled to....

i asked her how the story can change when she didn't listen to the story initially to begin with & how its any different from the comments i sent in a week prior????i further told her that its extremely unprofessional for her to keep telling me i'm wasting her time....she says that i have wasted over 25 minutes since this call started & its being recorded so she will put in further notes in my account that i called her unprofessional....i told her if the call was indeed recorded then perhaps she should listen to the conversation herself to see how her behavior was during the call....i could then hear her typing away on her computer & after another 30 seconds or so she comes back & says everything has been documented & if i wanted to pursue this activity further then the next agent i call will be able to read the notes & be aware of what i am fraudulently trying to do....

at this point i hung up (something i know i should have done a while back) & called again....the next agent who picked up heard my story, she apologized for the earlier agents behavior & said she would amend the notes in my account & forward the request to the relevant department to take a look again at the flight & whether i am entitled to the miles....a brief 2 minute hold later she states that the earlier agent was indeed mistaken & the activity is now reflecting correctly in my account....i refreshed the app & indeed had the right number of miles & mqms in my account....

sorry for the long post but i just needed to vent....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Keyser
just got off the phone with an extremely rude skymiles diamond rep & felt the need to vent....

here is what happened....i had taken a flight with a partner airline earlier this month & i purchased the fare in 'k' class which is a miles eligible class as per the delta website....on the day of the flight i was offered an upgrade to business class but i was unsure whether the upgrade would exclude me from earning miles & mqms so i called the diamond line to ask what would happen in this scenario....i was informed by the agent that the class i flew in had no bearing & the class i purchased the fare in would determine the skymiles activity....based on this information i went ahead & processed the upgrade....my boarding pass indicated the class of service as 'd'....

when the miles hadn't posted after 10 days, i filled in the missing miles request form online....a day later the activity posted to my account but i received no miles due to 'activity not eligible for mileage credit'....i called the diamond line again & spoke with an agent who checked with the relevant team & told me to send in another 'missing miles' request online with a copy of the ticket & boarding pass....she also told me to explain the upgrade situation in the comments section....i did so & waited another week but when nothing happened i called in again today & that's when i got this rude agent....

when she answered the line i proceeded to take her through the chain of events but she cut me off midway & just told me to give her the date of travel & the activity i was calling about....i did that & told her there was a story behind it & this was the second time i was calling but she wasn't interested in listening & said something to the effect 'sir, if you go on talking then you are just wasting time....this activity is not eligible for mileage credit'....i told her that she needed to listen to the chain of events because she would then understand why i was calling....i started my story from the beginning but mid way through she cuts me off again & points me to the partner airline section on the delta website where 'd' class is not a miles eligible class....i once again tried to tell her how i went from 'k' class to 'd' class but she just puts me on hold saying that she is going to check with the relevant team....

a few minutes later she returns & says that she has checked with the international mileage team & i have been informed that this is not a miles eligible class & i am fraudulently trying to get mileage for a flight that i am not eligible for....she further states that she is going to make a note in my account that i am trying to do so fraudulently....at this point i just tell her to stop & listen to what i have to say....she states that i can say whatever i want but i would just be wasting everyone's time....i still tell her to listen & in about 30 seconds i explain that i bought the ticket in 'k' class, when i was offered the upgrade i called the diamond line to check if the upgrade would exclude me from earning miles, when i got the confirmation that it wouldn't then i processed the upgrade & traveled in 'd' class....after hearing the story she states that its unlikely i called the diamond desk since that would have entailed me making a long distance phone call (since i am based in india) & that i probably called the partner airline instead of delta & am now making up the fact that i spoke with a delta representative....she further stated that she is going to make a note in my account that i am now changing my story in order to get the miles i am not entitled to....

i asked her how the story can change when she didn't listen to the story initially to begin with & how its any different from the comments i sent in a week prior????i further told her that its extremely unprofessional for her to keep telling me i'm wasting her time....she says that i have wasted over 25 minutes since this call started & its being recorded so she will put in further notes in my account that i called her unprofessional....i told her if the call was indeed recorded then perhaps she should listen to the conversation herself to see how her behavior was during the call....i could then hear her typing away on her computer & after another 30 seconds or so she comes back & says everything has been documented & if i wanted to pursue this activity further then the next agent i call will be able to read the notes & be aware of what i am fraudulently trying to do....

at this point i hung up (something i know i should have done a while back) & called again....the next agent who picked up heard my story, she apologized for the earlier agents behavior & said she would amend the notes in my account & forward the request to the relevant department to take a look again at the flight & whether i am entitled to the miles....a brief 2 minute hold later she states that the earlier agent was indeed mistaken & the activity is now reflecting correctly in my account....i refreshed the app & indeed had the right number of miles & mqms in my account....

sorry for the long post but i just needed to vent....
Did you get the agents name. Either way write a detailed email to DL about this
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The next time, the moment you get any kind of attitude like that, ask for a supervisor. This will allow you both address your issue that you called about as well as report the agent. I would have done so the moment she said "if you go on talking then you are just wasting time."
uanj, cre95, traveller99 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes when the phone lines are busy, a "regular" agent will answer the DM line and pretend to be DM agent. Some of these people know little about the DL FF program (or elite benefits). Sometimes I ask whether I've reached a dedicated DM agent, although of course the agent could lie about that.
hortkie likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it does not excuse the agent's tone, the starting point with any carrier, DL included, is to simply provide the PNR and name or whatever else it is that you have to identify the record. That is because DL tracks pretty much every key stroke and requires agents to document a good deal more in PNR notes than other carriers. This is not to suggest that your situation did not require elaboration, only that it is much better to let the agent review the record first as a good deal of what you have to say may well be in front of the agent (or not).

The better solution here would have been for the agent to simply say, "I need to review your record first, please let me start there...."

If you hit someone having a bad day, simply end the call. It never gets better.
zgringo14 and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by hnewman
Did you get the agents name. Either way write a detailed email to DL about this
i did & have already sent in a complaint email stating the name of the agent & the date/time i called....
mhy and thunderlounge like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The next time, the moment you get any kind of attitude like that, ask for a supervisor. This will allow you both address your issue that you called about as well as report the agent. I would have done so the moment she said "if you go on talking then you are just wasting time."
i should have done that....i was also tempted to hang up a bunch of times but stayed on the call as i wasn't sure what she was doing & what she would document on my account....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes when the phone lines are busy, a "regular" agent will answer the DM line and pretend to be DM agent. Some of these people know little about the DL FF program (or elite benefits). Sometimes I ask whether I've reached a dedicated DM agent, although of course the agent could lie about that.
she answered stating she was a diamond agent but you are right, there is no way to tell if she really was....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
While it does not excuse the agent's tone, the starting point with any carrier, DL included, is to simply provide the PNR and name or whatever else it is that you have to identify the record. That is because DL tracks pretty much every key stroke and requires agents to document a good deal more in PNR notes than other carriers. This is not to suggest that your situation did not require elaboration, only that it is much better to let the agent review the record first as a good deal of what you have to say may well be in front of the agent (or not).

The better solution here would have been for the agent to simply say, "I need to review your record first, please let me start there...."

If you hit someone having a bad day, simply end the call. It never gets better.
i did that last week when i spoke with the earlier agent but she said she could not access the information with either the pnr or the ticket number since they both belonged to the partner airline....for this reason i didn't give that information to begin with....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: none
Sounds to me like a "less than professional" agent trying to explain to a DYKWIA. Personalities clash.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Sounds to me like a "less than professional" agent trying to explain to a DYKWIA. Personalities clash.
i'm sorry but why would me trying to call to get the miles that i'm supposed to get relate to a dykwia scenario????what would you have done????
united 1k flyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

I don't understand what in OP's post leads you to conclude this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:55 am

actually it sounds like a factually misinformed idiot on a power trip trying to “explain” to a customer asking for his rightly deserved benefits. Right and wrong clash all the time. This time right won.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I don't understand what in OP's post leads you to conclude this.
or in his follow up posts either!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
IDK...playing devil's advocate - if the verbosity of the phone call is reflected in the length of the above post, the employee might have a bit of a point.
puddinhead and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.