Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2018 debate.... right side or left side of the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2018 debate.... right side or left side of the plane?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Left if it's a window
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Airplanes are not ships. ��
And yet on the IFE screen on my Delta flight today, it said “Ship: 3726”
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

And yet on the IFE screen on my Delta flight today, it said “Ship: 3726”
interesting. So I Googled it and it’s a bit confusing. Planes used to be called ships more regularly (i.e. airships). This link commented on the use of port and starboard which seems to not be the way to designated sides of a plane.

https://scandinaviantraveler.com/en/...d-on-airplanes

Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Port Outbound, Starboard Homewardbound.
That's true if your originating flight is eastbound and the return flight is westbound AND you are in the northern hemisphere. That puts you on the "shady" side of the plane so that you can keep the window shade(s) open and enjoy the scenery without the blinding sun. I always try to get the "north" side of the plane when flying in the northern hemisphere. It would be the "south" side of the plane if flying, e.g, SYD-SCL or AKL-SCL.

When doing north-south flights, I try to figure out which side will have the shade (morning vs. afternoon) and pick a seat accordingly.

Don't ask me about "diagonal" (LAX-SYD) flights, as I haven't figured that out yet!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Usually left side aisle. And by the way for those using port and starboard, that applies to ships. Airplanes are not ships. ��
I most certainly have heard nautical terms applied to aircraft ('aft' lavatory, anyone? Also, where do "cockpit," "rudder," and "galley" come from? Ships, of course.) Also, aircraft follow the nautical convention of navigational lighting (red light on the port, green on the starboard)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
If every seat is available, I choose left side of planes and the right side of buses. No idea why.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:49 pm

Lol I didn't know this was a thing. Never thought of it
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA + IHG
I strongly prefer to sit on the right side of the plane. I am also not sure why but I enjoy the flight more when I am on the right.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by jimjohn
I fly delta 99% of the time and i noticed that my 12 out of 12 upcoming flights are on the left side of the plane. I pick my c+ after booking but always pick the left side and I do not know why but I do. Anyone else favor one side of the plane vs the other?
Prefer right side definitely. I'm right handed...what hand do you use primarily?
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I most certainly have heard nautical terms applied to aircraft ('aft' lavatory, anyone? Also, where do "cockpit," "rudder," and "galley" come from? Ships, of course.) Also, aircraft follow the nautical convention of navigational lighting (red light on the port, green on the starboard)
thanks. I was only commenting on the port and starboard thing. I also have a pilot friend and he confirmed that those two terms are not used.

Last edited by Collierkr; Feb 15, 2018 at 7:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:06 pm

If on a 767 especially, or on other dual-aisle aircraft, I always choose the right side. Just seems less busy during boarding and exit
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT DM
Fun topic... Right side. Always, unless nothing else is avail in First. Then I get less picky ��There’s always something avail on the right in C+ on my business routes at booking and I tend to select 7C or 11C depending on plane type. No good reason I can think of except maybe habit. Flew 2C on 13 of the last 16 flights. 3C on two and 1F on the other (that last one was United, A320)
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Pick side based on destination or weather LAX-right SAN-Left DCA rwy 19 left LGA river visual 13 right LAS right SEA right ORD west wind left
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:25 am

Eastbound flights I prefer the right window seat. Westbound flights I prefer the left window seat or aisle.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I always sit on the the right side by the window with my partner in the aisle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.