Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT downsizing continues (NRT-ROR)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting column

Full article With Four More Tokyo/Haneda Slots, Delta Could Pull Out of Its Ever-Shrinking Narita Hub Entirely | Cranky Flier

Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I may be wrong, but I don't know if that lack of precheck in SEA IAF is a Delta decision. It's the same way with ATL and DTW, neither, from my recollection, have precheck if you're connecting from an inbound intl flight. I have found myself going back upstairs in DTW though to use Clear/Pre. How TSA behaves or conducts their job duties isn't really within DL's control. Additionally, that's something that management within TSA could fix, it's not a permanent issue.

I also giggle a bit at your last sentence. Have they ever arrived internationally in their home country? Please...
It is within Delta's control, as they can push the airport to use private security. Like at SFO.

And yes, Chinese have arrived internationally in China before, I presume. It is obvious the US has the world's worst airports, as defined by the distance between expectations and reality. Like New York's airports, which appears to be in some "third world country"
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Cool story, but I see no indication that DL is going to 4 more useful-timeslots at HND. So it's rather more hypothetical than anything else
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If that happens, HND needs a SC.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WWads
If that happens, HND needs a SC.
They should have one now, or have plans for build out of one soon. Unless HND is going to remain as an O/D only location... but even then its crappy to only have a contract lounge there.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by rylan
They should have one now, or have plans for build out of one soon. Unless HND is going to remain as an O/D only location... but even then its crappy to only have a contract lounge there.
Of course HND is going to remain O/D. Connections will be at ICN
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Looks like the governor and congressman from the Northern Marianas (Saipan) are trying to get Delta from leaving. My guess is they'll offer a generous subsidy.

https://www.saipantribune.com/index....ta-reconsider/
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Looks like the governor and congressman from the Northern Marianas (Saipan) are trying to get Delta from leaving. My guess is they'll offer a generous subsidy.

https://www.saipantribune.com/index....ta-reconsider/
Not gonna work. DL isn't interested in intra-Asia flying
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
I could see HNL-SPN
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by suvayanr
I could see HNL-SPN
That is something that HA may do (e.g. HNL-PPT, HNL-PPG), but not too likely DL.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
There will be a new round of HND slot allocations before the 2020 Olympics, probably at the end of this year or early 2019.

I doubt DL gets 4, but I see them getting more than UA and AA for competitive reasons.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
There will be a new round of HND slot allocations before the 2020 Olympics, probably at the end of this year or early 2019.

I doubt DL gets 4, but I see them getting more than UA and AA for competitive reasons.
Considering that DL has no JV partner in Japan, they should get all four IMO, unless HA wants another one too.

I bet JFK-TYO returns once the slots are awarded.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Feb 17, 2018 at 4:41 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So I get why DL is shrinking NRT - they have pulled out of NRT as a hub and simply need an airport to feed traffic into Japan so hence a closer airport. It's sad though, I loved NRT as a hub to China, HKG, MNL, SIN, etc. But they at least need to put a SC in HND. NRT used to be my favorite club.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by WWads
I bet JFK-TYO returns once the slots are awarded.
On DL?? No way. Without the connecting flights NRT-Asia, that won't happen. Maybe JFK-ICN, but it's well served by KE.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
On DL?? No way. Without the connecting flights NRT-Asia, that won't happen. Maybe JFK-ICN, but it's well served by KE.
You really don’t think that NYC’s largest airline could sustain a flight to Tokyo?

JFK-NRT wasn’t sustainable, but I bet JFK-HND would be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.