Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How close did you come to making SM, GM or DM in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How close did you come to making SM, GM or DM in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Having been Silver for a long time, in 2017, I started flying to Vietnam, thus I had 94,000 MQM, but only $8750 MQD.
I was resigned to being only Gold, but as an Elite +, getting Sky Priority is big deal, so i was happy.
But then I thought Platinum would be nice, but had not way to earn MQD.
So I decided I may as well get the waiver for living overseas, as I have an apartment in Vietnam.

Having a one year lease on apartment is easy, getting any piece of paper with my name on it is another story.
My monthly maintenance bill has the apartment number only.
But I figured I should apply for waiver and asked Building manager to put my name on Monthly bill.
They did for $10.
That was easy.
It took 3 days to figure out Delta.com did not like my McAfee firewall, as I could not upload any documents.
Once I got that sorted out, Delta approved my waiver the next day.

With minimal flying, I'll still have 50k new MQM in 2018, so with roll over, will have >75k MQM
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:38 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Made it to Diamond with 38k miles to rollover! Had quite a few from the year before....we shall see how well I can hit $15k spend without Delta AMEX waiver. Dropped that awful AMEX!! Buh-Bye!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
I had the spending for DM but missed by having just 101 segments and not enough miles. I think I should still be Diamond because the spending should be what DL really cares about, right? 101 segments and 20K spending? That should be DM in my book.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:16 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I definitely would prefer a system of pure spend, since I tend to buy extremely close in and the vast majority of my flights are very short. But that's not the system we have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FWIW I made DM last year and rolled over 216 miles, and to do that I had to buy an F on my last trip of the year.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I stopped 2-3K MQM short of DM, since I valued the nearly 50K rollover more than the incremental benefits.

The increase in the DM MQD waiver, though, has gotten me worried that it might spread to, say, PM, in which case I might lose my existing rollover (if I am flying under 75K BIS in a year, relying on rollover to get me to 75K, the tickets would cost under 9K)
So this year, I am doing something that I previously considered sacriligious - redeeming miles on domestic flights, when I can get close to 2 cpm, so I will try to finish 2018 as a PM with relatively little rollover.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Diamond plus it looks like I rolled over an extra 183239 MQMs this year so there’s that...
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: First and Last time ever DL DM
I made DM for the first and last time ever with 8k rolled over. Even with business spend I wouldn't come close to 250k.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
By the way, I contacted DL and asked them for DM status based on my spending and the 101 segments I did fly. I was off work for six months due to illness (Feb-Jul) but I was still able to exceed the DM spending limit and still fly 101 segments, so definitely I was flying and still fly on the pace of a DM. I've been DM since it was started and I wonder if they will make an exception due to the fact that I was on medical leave for six months last year. Any experiences out there with this type of situation?

R
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I ended up far closer to making Gold than I thought I would with $4,500 MQDs (and way over on MQM thanks to previous rollvers). Thankfully DL gave me a challenge for GM this year and I'm enjoying it far more than I enjoyed being a FO.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Wildman
How close or far from making the next level? And was it intentional for roll over purposes?
Year before last, i was GM and rolled over 22700 MQMs which positioned me early last year to hit PM (which i did). This year I rolled over 10K MQMs, which will make it possible to hit PM again for me.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by CMK10
I ended up far closer to making Gold than I thought I would with $4,500 MQDs (and way over on MQM thanks to previous rollvers). Thankfully DL gave me a challenge for GM this year and I'm enjoying it far more than I enjoyed being a FO.
GM is night and day compared to FO, just as PM is with GM IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.