Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for Diamonds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I'm confused, did Delta suddenly become a not-for-profit business? How much free stuff do you think they should be giving away? Your profile says you are a platinum medallion, according to this page: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...on-status.html you are already getting a significant number of benefits such as your choice benefit, bonus RDM, no award redeposit fee, no same day change fees, and priority support, free preferred seats, not to mention upgrades (granted they seldom happen). Ultimately they have an expected value they want to give to their loyalty program and have to draw a line on what they want to give away for free to meet that value. If you want them to add free drinks into then they would need to offset that somewhere else in their program, which I'm guessing people wouldn't be happy if their preferred seat selection went away, or had to pay same-day/award ticket change fees.

From an operations standpoint it also makes it easier on determine who pays instead of having to check a list to see if they are a status flyer, and avoids awkward situations if you are sitting next to someone without status who has to pay for their drink while you are getting it for free.
I agree with Lux Flyer,
I will even add one (very important) "benefit", ... lounge access on intl flight...
How much you think is the cost to Delta for support all this lounge (and paid for your lounge access when you are abroad). Staff, food/drink, space, I prefer not see the "invoice" for this.
If Delta can only continue to give the actual benefit, they will see me in 10 years as member of their FFP.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
As much as I dislike AA these days (ahem US Airways) they blow DL out of the water with this service aspect. If I’m ever in coach I’m always greeted by my name and asking whatever I’d like.....on longer flights if I want a refill and try to pay my CC is turned away.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
As much as I dislike AA these days (ahem US Airways) they blow DL out of the water with this service aspect. If I’m ever in coach I’m always greeted by my name and asking whatever I’d like.....on longer flights if I want a refill and try to pay my CC is turned away.
I think somebody has already been drinking.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I think somebody has already been drinking.
quite the wrong assumption
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
I've had more than a couple of trips in Y where the FA took my a) credit card, or b) drink coupon, and didn't scan it. Including once or twice where I watched her swipe the credit card of the person sitting next to me.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This is a published benefit for EXP's on American. We get a free fresh food item, snack, or drink. Does Delta not publish this benefit for their Diamonds? Does it basically rely on if the flight attendant is in a good mood?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by enviroian
This is a published benefit for EXP's on American. We get a free fresh food item, snack, or drink. Does Delta not publish this benefit for their Diamonds? Does it basically rely on if the flight attendant is in a good mood?
There is no published benefit for a snack or free cocktail that I am aware of.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian

It is a published benefit on United as well (free drink and snack item). Snacks are better than what you get in Delta C+ as well. I lose 1K at the end of this month so won't get this anymore but it was a nice gesture (they only added it about a year and a half back).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Solved:
How To Bring Alcohol On A Plane - The Drunk Pirate
apodo77 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Have that first world problem that i never was able to use them or will be able to use them in the next couple of months. As a consequence there are currently 12 drink vouchers sitting in my app/wallet.
First 4 are only valid thru: 02/02/18
If it is not against the rules OP can have some of them.
12?

They only gave me 4.........
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by wxman22
Thanks ND76, I stand corrected. So much for that theory.
Your theory is not without merit - the Delta FAs do not have a union, and Delta very much wants to keep it that way.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I was given a free double Woodford a few months ago when the FA had trouble reading my vouchers. A few years ago, the woman sitting next to me on a CR2 and I were talking about how it sucks that you don't get a HOOU voucher unless you print out your BP at home/work. The FA must have overheard us because she offered us a free drink because of our status. I think we were in 1C, 1D and we were both DM. Otherwise, I've never gotten free drinks in Y.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
12?

They only gave me 4.........
Don't use them, never asked for them and don't really keep track of them. But yeah ended up with 12 of them.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Free drinks doesn't do anything for me, but I think that your argument is a little weak. The diamond medallions that sit in Y a lot tend to be Delta's highest revenue customers (besides very frequent international J flyers). They tend to sit in Y a lot because they book relatively last minute paying high fares - meaning cabins are already full.

Most of my fares exceed $1K. I don't recall the last time I paid less than $800 for a ticket. And yet I sit in Y- while the Platinum that bought a $450 V ticket 2 months ago sits in C+ and gets the extra legroom (and free drinks, which admittedly I don't care about).

You would think that Delta would want to protect my business - but they don't. I opt to fly United (and less frequently American) whenever I can because they have more Economy+ seats on their planes and there is usually one available.
Because they are already offering you benefits of arguably significantly more value, including other benefits a DM receives that a PM does not, to protect your business, what reason do they have to add more? Using the argument that you are choosing to fly UA/AA doesn't hold up because unfortunately your choice to fly UA/AA instead of Delta doesn't reflect the frequent flyer population as a whole.

Adding more benefits has a cost to them and while at an individual level is small adds up to a not insignificant portion of the bottom line. Delta runs close to 5k flights a day on average. For the sake of argument, lets say each day, 40% of the flights have 1 DM in Y who want a free drink and the actual cost to Delta for that drink is $1. Across an entire year that comes out to 730k in additional cost, kind of hard to justify, unless providing that benefit is going to bring in significantly more revenue than the cost of implementing it. If Delta felt that was the case, then they would have already implemented it. Clearly in their cost-benefit analysis it doesn't benefit them as a company to offer that benefit. They obviously aren't hemorrhaging frequent flyers to UA/AA because UA/AA has free food/drink, and for every skymiles member leaving for UA/AA for the free food/drink, they are likely gaining members leaving UA/AA due to some other facet of the FF program. And lets be honest, the majority of Delta high-value frequent flyers are the ones who are going to fly Delta regardless, either because they are located at a hub which gives them non-stops, or they are on a corporate contract.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer

Adding more benefits has a cost to them and while at an individual level is small adds up to a not insignificant portion of the bottom line. Delta runs close to 5k flights a day on average. For the sake of argument, lets say each day, 40% of the flights have 1 DM in Y who want a free drink and the actual cost to Delta for that drink is $1. Across an entire year that comes out to 730k in additional cost, kind of hard to justify, unless providing that benefit is going to bring in significantly more revenue than the cost of implementing it. If Delta felt that was the case, then they would have already implemented it. Clearly in their cost-benefit analysis it doesn't benefit them as a company to offer that benefit.
It's a lot more than that. Some of those people will actually purchase a drink that they would get for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.