Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Homeless Persons Living/Sleeping in the Atlanta Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeless Persons Living/Sleeping in the Atlanta Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Whatever the reason, they have no business being in the airport unless they work there, are flying someone, are arriving from somewhere, or a picking up or dropping off someone who is going somewhere.
Many airports are considered public spaces and it might not be possible to legally evict a homeless person. Besides, some airports like PIT want to encourage folks to come to the airport to shop. In other cases, business meetings (and even interviews!) are held in airports and can include locals who are not flying that day.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier Platinum (lol), fmr Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
PHL is my home airport.

I know what you mean.
I was approached by an aggressive panhandler in the parking garage at PHL the other week... it's gotten much worse there over the past few years.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak

Surprisingly, I’ve never seen a homeless person at SFO. The city has a very integrated service structure for this population. Also the high BART fares might be a deterrent (though there are cheaper buses from SF).
I watched a group of homeless junkies shooting up Friday afternoon at 8th & Market Street. Earlier that day I saw a SFPD speaking in Spanish to two handcuffed individuals sitting in that same spot.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PHL is bad, but isn't the overall experience at EWR even worse?
For me EWR is slightly better. Traveling by train I need to make two connections to each, but for PHL I have to change stations at street level downtown. Most days it's not the OK corral. And the clubs are better.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many airports are considered public spaces and it might not be possible to legally evict a homeless person.

Since no one has ATL listed as their voting address, i.e. legal residence, I submit that everyone at ATL is a "homeless" person while on the property. Employees are a "home nearby" subcategory.

So there are a lot of people in wrinkled clothes with strong odor of alcohol on their breath. Smell to clarify. If the person with wrinkled clothes smells of Woodford, they just got off a DL upgrade and cleaned out the booze cart. If the person with wrinkled clothes smells like MD2020, send them to the Soylent Green factory.

As a Florida resident, I am used to seeing homeless people who come south for the winter. This year is the worse I have ever seen. The snow up north has drive all of them south. There is a homeless begger with a cardboard sign on every street corner.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Wait until the one day that one pulls a gun. America's illogical worry over a gun in an airport will bring this all to a screeching halt.

(not saying guns in an airport are not a concern, but it is a very small issue compared to some other problems we have)
Based on past history the only thing that will happen if one pulls a gun is revocation of the gun restrictions to allow that mythical good guy with a gun to save the day next time.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Grog
It's misplaced to call a lack of airport police action 'shameful'. The fact that airports have anonymous police forces is already dubious in my mind. The shameful actions occur long before, and at a far higher level.
When law directors and law departments take away basic policing, the community goes down the drain.

You can be proactive, provide enforcement, intervention and support; or you can turn your head and do nothing as the facility rots and passengers with legit business at the airport get assaulted.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Welcome to what we have endured in PHL for years! Each of the last four mayors have turned a blind eye to the squatters. They're more visible after dark and before dawn, when there is a code blue, or raining.
It's one of the reasons I trek up to EWR and deal with their brand of indignities.
"Squatters"?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
When law directors and law departments take away basic policing, the community goes down the drain.

You can be proactive, provide enforcement, intervention and support; or you can turn your head and do nothing as the facility rots and passengers with legit business at the airport get assaulted.
You think they might have a, I dunno, legal reason for the directive?

Last edited by trouble747; Jan 23, 2018 at 10:11 am
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by trouble747
You think they might have a, I dunno, legal reason for directive?
Wrong.
It's politically motivated.
NASDAQ: AMZN
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:11 am

Wrong.
It's politically motivated.
NASDAQ: AMZN
Umm that seems like a stretch...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by trouble747
"Squatters"?
Nah, they’re just passing through as well, they don’t want the space it just happens to be somewhat warm and dry.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold

I understand you want the situation in your immediate area to change. I'm saying the situation is created elsewhere--let's work to solve the broader situation. And, again, you call only for the situation in the immediate area to change. Sorry, but I care more about the widespread issue than I do about the situation in the immediate area. And no, I don't think "you gotta start somewhere" by dispatching mall cops throughout the airport and pushing people under bridges and out into the neighborhoods.

Last edited by Grog; Jan 25, 2018 at 6:35 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:34 am

I wonder if there's another source for this 'law enforcement directive.' All of the original reporting on this issue appears to originate from a single reporter at a local FOX affiliate. Here's the line:

They said the city of Atlanta law department has instructed the officers not to do the daily sweeps they once did. That change means they cannot enforce basic trespass laws.
The "they" here is "police officers." Is this the official message or position of the department? Does the Atlanta law department actually dictate policing strategy or priority? I'm also not seeing the connection between "daily sweeps" and "enforc[ing] basic trespass laws."
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Welcome to what we have endured in PHL for years! Each of the last four mayors have turned a blind eye to the squatters. They're more visible after dark and before dawn, when there is a code blue, or raining.
It's one of the reasons I trek up to EWR and deal with their brand of indignities.
Also turned a blind eye to your obnoxious football fans. Go Pats! (And I don't even like the Pats)
yohanson and Dublin_rfk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.