Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL and Southeast Weather Delays (1/17/18)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check

If you are flying through ATL today and have not checked your flights I would strongly urge you to do so......EVERY flight I can find (with the exception of flights originating on the West Coast that goes through ATL is delayed at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you can connect through MSP, DTW, or any other city I would do it. This is for inbound and outbound....I would assume it has to do with the de-icing slow down in ATL. Just a word of warning!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
4 hour delay here. SRQ-ATL 545am flight now scheduled for 10:00.. Looks like flights are slowly starting to pick up. Going to have a huge snowball effect as the day progresses...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
PBI-ATL-SAN today and actually got a RUC to clear on both legs for me and a companion.
I am sure I will end up in main cabin sometime tomorrow knowing my luck. .

PBI-ATL first 4 flights of the day are delayed ~ 2 hours and 2 cancellations (11:12 and 12:20 departures).

Good luck all.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:40 am

One of my connection to ATL was rescheduled to a later flight which will cause me to miss my connection flight. I called Delta and found a connection through MSP like the OP mentioned above, but at the expense of being downgraded from Delta Comfort+ to Economy. Do you guys think I have a case to get a refund for the difference?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by mmoser2
4 hour delay here. SRQ-ATL 545am flight now scheduled for 10:00.. Looks like flights are slowly starting to pick up. Going to have a huge snowball effect as the day progresses...
Pun intended.
strickerj and hi55us like this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:44 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
It's not just Atlanta (CVG) is currently in a meltdown too. My single connection through MSP (to PDX) is now a fun routing through KCI and SLC. I should be handling this better as a seasoned traveler but sitting in SkyClub considering crying, Oh also went from all F to one leg on a CRJ200 (kill me). I do have to say the diamond desk has been AMAZING and phone wait has been like 2 minutes each time (I am on my 4th delay). Kudos to everyone I have talked to
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We fly RDU-MSP-YYC tomorrow (6am flight) and are currently praying our airplane can make it to RDU today.....Not much we can do at this point but pay attention and be flexible.....

(we've already put chains on tires to get us out of our county - it's coming down hard & fast now and we're doubtful the roads will be cleared by 3am...)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Lehava
It's not just Atlanta (CVG) is currently in a meltdown too. My single connection through MSP (to PDX) is now a fun routing through KCI and SLC. I should be handling this better as a seasoned traveler but sitting in SkyClub considering crying, Oh also went from all F to one leg on a CRJ200 (kill me). I do have to say the diamond desk has been AMAZING and phone wait has been like 2 minutes each time (I am on my 4th delay). Kudos to everyone I have talked to
Ooh, KCI is the worst airport to connect. Security is not at a central location, but at the gates. Most connections involve going through security again.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We fly RDU-MSP-YYC tomorrow (6am flight) and are currently praying our airplane can make it to RDU today.....Not much we can do at this point but pay attention and be flexible.....

(we've already put chains on tires to get us out of our county - it's coming down hard & fast now and we're doubtful the roads will be cleared by 3am...)
Yeah I’m flying into RDU this evening from CUN (via MCO thankfully). I’ve been watching this mornings flights. With the exception of ATL they seem to mostly be running an hour or so late. That may be due to deicing at RDU.

It it looks like DL uses the same 717 for RDU MCO hops so I suppose as long as it get out of RDU at ~2p I’ll be aight.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have a redeye overnight with an RSW connection tomorrow morning. I've already been concerned about de-icing backups.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I know it's just a bug/typo but Delta apparently just swapped planes on one of my flights tomorrow... looks like they're bringing back 737-500's...

Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I had a tough connection, 1 hour to go from gate 59 to 60

My SLC will not be so simple C11 to D11

Originally Posted by Howste
Ooh, KCI is the worst airport to connect. Security is not at a central location, but at the gates. Most connections involve going through security again.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:50 pm

My 1/16 experience, yesterday.

ORD to ATL was the plan.....I get to the airport at 1pm for a 4:30pm flight. Plenty of time. As I'm on the rental car shuttle over to the terminal, I get a message on my DL app that my flight is outright cancelled. No rebooking, just outright cancelled and asks me if I want to find alternative flights. Well....yeah!

One option is ORD - CVG - ATL, departing at 2:30pm. It's 1pm so I had time. I go to the gate and the gate sign says it's a MSP flight. I ask the gate agent what's going on and she gives me the "look"....I instantly said "The CVG flight already left didn't it?". Yep. For some reason the kiosk at ticketing allowed me to rebook myself on a flight that already left - it turns out that the 2:30pm was actually the "delayed til" time, the original time was earlier.

So she finds me an ORD - DET flight that gets me there at 8pm and then an 8:30pm DET - ATL which was still showing on time. Long story short, I get into the ATL rental car center around 12 midnight.....Thankfully I had edited my Hertz agreement to reflect my new arrival flight so I still had a car waiting for me.........but it went back downhill from there.... Get to the Hampton Inn in Covington, GA around 1am only to find out that they gave my room away, which I guess is what I get for being a lowly gold member. They did manage to rebook me over at a IHG hotel.

TLR: Got to ORD airport at 1pm, every ATL flight cancelled except 1 that get me into ATL at midnight. Finally in bed by around 1:30am, 12+ hours later.

Wildcard is tomorrow. I have flights up to NC area on Thursday evening......they got about 6 inches of snow there.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Ground stop as of 5:22pm Eastern.
DL can’t recover worth a crap at ATL.

too big of a hub.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Well the ATL DL Ground Stop is now cancelled, and it has been replaced by a Ground Delay Program (GDP). That's an improvement I guess. Still a large number of delays though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.