Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gold Medallion = Free or Paid SkyTeam Lounge Access?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Medallion = Free or Paid SkyTeam Lounge Access?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Question Gold Medallion = Free or Paid SkyTeam Lounge Access?

Greetings - spent the last 5-10 minutes searching, hopefully an easy answer.

I have the Delta AMEX Platinum card and reached Gold Medallion for 2018. One of the benefits of Gold is "SkyTeam Lounge Access" -- I read this to mean I show my Delta Medallion and/or AMEX and I'd be in. "That will be $29 for the day" was an unexpected surprise when they replied to me at the lounge counter.

Can someone help me set the right expectations for what Gold Medallion and/or AMEX Platinum means for SkyTeam Lounge access?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by skiatomic
Greetings - spent the last 5-10 minutes searching, hopefully an easy answer.

I have the Delta AMEX Platinum card and reached Gold Medallion for 2018. One of the benefits of Gold is "SkyTeam Lounge Access" -- I read this to mean I show my Delta Medallion and/or AMEX and I'd be in. "That will be $29 for the day" was an unexpected surprise when they replied to me at the lounge counter.

Can someone help me set the right expectations for what Gold Medallion and/or AMEX Platinum means for SkyTeam Lounge access?
You have lounge access on international SkyTeam itineraries but not domestic.

The Delta Amex Platinum card gives you no lounge access privileges at all other than the discount. Not to be confused with the Amex Platinum (not Delta Platinum) which does give you lounge access (Priority Pass and Delta lounges when flying Delta metal).
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks ethernal! This helps clear it up. I suppose I'll do the math on whether upgrading to Delta AMEX Reserve makes sense vs. a la cart $29 domestic day passes.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by skiatomic
Thanks ethernal! This helps clear it up. I suppose I'll do the math on whether upgrading to Delta AMEX Reserve makes sense vs. a la cart $29 domestic day passes.
It all depends how much you will be traveling and how much DL you will be flying. I'm assuming since you made GM you are flying enough on DL. Where are you based?
I made the move to Reserve from AX Gold. The companion pass, bonus MQM are worth it for me since I mostly fly DL.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie98
It all depends how much you will be traveling and how much DL you will be flying. I'm assuming since you made GM you are flying enough on DL. Where are you based?
I made the move to Reserve from AX Gold. The companion pass, bonus MQM are worth it for me since I mostly fly DL.
SLC... lots of business travel this year, mostly on DL. Probably 1-3 trips per month, domestic.

When you made the switch to Reserve, did you have to be careful about the timing of your companion tickets? For example, I just earned and used my companion ticket for Platinum a few months ago. I won't earn my next one till Sept 2018. If I switch to Reserve in Jan 2018, does that start a new 12 month clock to where the companion ticket won't show up until 12 months afterward?

Maybe I'll get on the phone with AMEX... thanks again for your insight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

IIRC, you don't get Companion ticket until the END of your first (and subsequent year)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
IIRC, you don't get Companion ticket until the END of your first (and subsequent year)
Agree when it's a new account -- not sure if you can just "upgrade" from Platinum to Reserve and keep your dates. Or if you have to finish out your year of Platinum before you can switch to Reserve. I'll post if I find out.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:09 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yes, and there's lots of restrictions (only 48 lower states unless you live in AK/HI) and so read the terms and conditions to see if it is truly a benefit for you.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks NOLA - looks like I'll probably stay with Delta AMEX Platinum. We spend $75k a year or so and my wife and I both have accounts. This lets her get the $50k = 20k MQM bonus and myself the $25k = 10k MQM. If I were to go with Reserve she wouldn't meet her MQM Silver goal with her little travel. The $195 vs. $450 annual fee means if I enter the SkyClub 8 times or less this year, I made the right call.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might want to consider whether it would make sense for you to get (in addition to the DL AmEx cards) a regular AmEx Plat charge card (also about $450-500 per year, with with an annual $200 airline fee credit, lounge access including a PP membership. reimbursed GE or PreCheck fee, etc.).
SDQBound likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ethernal
You have lounge access on international SkyTeam itineraries but not domestic.

The Delta Amex Platinum card gives you no lounge access privileges at all other than the discount. Not to be confused with the Amex Platinum (not Delta Platinum) which does give you lounge access (Priority Pass and Delta lounges when flying Delta metal).
does JFK-MEX considered by DL an international flight for that matter? US carriers have different opinions about that.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:30 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
does JFK-MEX considered by DL an international flight for that matter? US carriers have different opinions about that.
JFK/MEX should absolutely give you SkyClub entry as Gold Medallion which is SkyTeam Elite Plus status.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by davetravels
JFK/MEX should absolutely give you SkyClub entry as Gold Medallion which is SkyTeam Elite Plus status.
Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
You can find Delta's international inclusions and exclusions at https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

Canada and Mexico are included, while the Caribbean, Guam, Palau, and Saipan are excluded.

International Travel includes: Customers traveling to/from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Africa, Canada and Mexico (excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam, Palau and Saipan).
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
You can find Delta's international inclusions and exclusions at https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

Canada and Mexico are included, while the Caribbean, Guam, Palau, and Saipan are excluded.

International Travel includes: Customers traveling to/from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, Africa, Canada and Mexico (excludes travel to/from the Caribbean, Guam, Palau and Saipan).
It's curious that Australia isn't on the list--not that I think it would be an exclusion. Doesn't the person writing or checking material for delta.dumb know geography?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.