Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New E175 with no USB charging port!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
New E175 with no USB charging port!

Took a flight on E175 operated by SkyWest last week - it looked like a brand new plane as they were not debris or garbage between the seat and cabin wall. First Class seat had AC power port but not USB! I thought it had a bad aim, so I bend over fully to look at the outlet and it didn't have a USB port like usual on other E175. Folks sitting across from me were equally stunned. I usually have a braided charging cable in my pocket and rarely keep a charger out of my bag because USB charging ports are literally everywhere...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
How did you ever manage to deal with this?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
My only issue with the AC power ports is half the time they don't work/hold the plug in.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by wlau
Folks sitting across from me were equally stunned.
USB emergency! Thanks for the laugh...
sky303, AANYC1981, emrdoc and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Trick for Power Ports

Originally Posted by DCP2016
My only issue with the AC power ports is half the time they don't work/hold the plug in.
This is not unique to Delta. I recently had a bunch of KLM and AF biz-class segments on 747's and A380's. Power ports usually didn't work either because they were dead or too loose to hold an American plug in-place. These power ports are usually the universal type that take any plug type. A fix for the "too loose" problem is to bring a "European Type C to USA" adapter. The round European plugs fit much better into those airline universal power ports -- even on U.S.-based airlines.
BenA, Carpboy823 and sdadept like this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Bowgie
This is not unique to Delta. I recently had a bunch of KLM and AF biz-class segments on 747's and A380's. Power ports usually didn't work either because they were dead or too loose to hold an American plug in-place. These power ports are usually the universal type that take any plug type. A fix for the "too loose" problem is to bring a "European Type C to USA" adapter. The round European plugs fit much better into those airline universal power ports -- even on U.S.-based airlines.
Yes, this is painful. The problem is that most AC-USB adapters sold in the USA are actually Japan-spec plugs (two equal size terminals, unpolarized). The USA went away from this in the 1950s, with outlets using polarized NEMA 1-15 plugs (one prong bigger). But since most of the AC-USB adapter electronics are un-grounded and polarization is unnecessary, they make them to the older spec (this also allows them to sell the same part number in Japan). Long story short, these plugs are a little shorter (about 2.5mm shorter) and one pin is narrower than the standard USA spec that the universal outlets were made for. So they fall out.

I typically carry a non-USA USB charger (usually the same as my destination) to make the plug work. Real pain, but I don't bother with the built-in USB usually because they are so low-amperage.
wxman22 and sdadept like this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 14, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by wlau
Took a flight on E175 operated by SkyWest last week - it looked like a brand new plane as they were not debris or garbage between the seat and cabin wall. First Class seat had AC power port but not USB! I thought it had a bad aim, so I bend over fully to look at the outlet and it didn't have a USB port like usual on other E175. Folks sitting across from me were equally stunned. I usually have a braided charging cable in my pocket and rarely keep a charger out of my bag because USB charging ports are literally everywhere...
Oh the humanity. Those poor, stunned lost souls.

Surely you promptly insisted on compensation?! Heavens, man!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Recommend against using provided USB ports

There are two issues that you should consider when using a USB port that you don’t control to charge your device: Electrical and security.

Some of the tear downs on USB power ports reveal poor electrical design practices, like insufficient isolation between AC mains and low voltage DC. This is most likely not an issue on an aircraft provided USB port.

Unless you use a charge-only cable or make one yourself, your device could be compromised by a malicious device disguised as a public USB charging port. Again, probably not an issue on an aircraft.

My recommendation, however, is to be consistent and err on the side of caution. Only use high-quality chargers that you own.
ijgordon and DiverDave like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Wink

Originally Posted by kb9522

The OP claims Southwest Companion Pass status. I wonder how many USB power ports he has found on Southwest aircraft.
sky303 and PABE like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
A frequent traveler who doesn't carry a $20 power pack in their bag? So strange.....
Old May 29, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by hockeystl
A frequent traveler who doesn't carry a $20 power pack in their bag? So strange.....
Nothing strange about it, because charging packs are barred/discouraged on quite a few airlines... and strictly checked in China especially. If your pack does not have clearly labeled capacity, it's not getting on the plane. If you actually do travel enough, you will learn these things...
Old May 29, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb9522

You missed the point - on the really old aircraft, sure, we don't expect USB. On a brand new aircraft, the AC socket comes with standard USB plug. It shows the lack of consideration when they configured that plane.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:26 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I'd rather have a regular outlet as opposed to USB. Charges quicker.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I'd rather have a regular outlet as opposed to USB. Charges quicker.
This. The USB ports charge so slowly -- the only time they ever add any value is on TATL/TPAC flights that are long enough to actually incrementally add charge during the 7-14 hour flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.