Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Going to Prague for business - KLM via AMS or AF via CDG for the connection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Prague for business - KLM via AMS or AF via CDG for the connection?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
When CDG works, I find it to be quite nice. Yes, there’s an extra security check, but the lines are generally short.
Isn't there a security check now for US-Schengen connections in AMS as well?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:53 am
k2

Originally Posted by fly18725
The lounges are far superior to AMS..
Really? Have you been in the CDG 2F or 2G lounges? They're not that great, and often overrun - last time I went to 2F they turned me away (they did give me a 10euro voucher). The Schengen lounge in AMS, with the new dining area, is always OK.

I do agree the non-Schengen (2E) lounges at CDG are better than AMS, but that's not enough to overcome the general discomfort of connecting in CDG. IMO, AMS remains the clear winner.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by k2
Really? Have you been in the CDG 2F or 2G lounges? They're not that great, and often overrun - last time I went to 2F they turned me away (they did give me a 10euro voucher). The Schengen lounge in AMS, with the new dining area, is always OK.

I do agree the non-Schengen (2E) lounges at CDG are better than AMS, but that's not enough to overcome the general discomfort of connecting in CDG. IMO, AMS remains the clear winner.
If nothing else, AMS is a wonderful airport to wander. I love walking through the various non-Schengen halls.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TTT
I’m pretty sure Passengers arriving from the US do not need to go through security.

Originally Posted by k2

I avoid connections involving 2G.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Are you flying Delta metal TATL or AF/KLM?

Be aware that not all AF J seats are lie flat -- the A380 still has angled seats. I was flying LAX-JFK-PRG last may when LAX-JFK went MX. The KLM nonstop LAX-AMS was sold out so they put me on AF LAX-CDG-PRG (flights on Delta to AMS all ended up with a 4-6 hour layover in AMS). The AF connection got me there only about 2 hours later so I took it. I forgot to ask about the plane and it turned out to be the A380 and then it was too late.

That being said, this was my first connection in CDG in a while and I was pleasantly surprised. I had just over an hour and everything went smoothly.

I've only flown the 747 Combi on KLM and their seats are not all direct aisle access (there are a few singles). The AF 777 I believe have 1-2-1 configuration and true lie flats.

So I would look at the seats and make that choice first -- connecting in either is probably fine. All else being equal I would choose AMS because I am very familiar with it, but would not take a worse seat to avoid CDG.
Have only done a cursory search and the AF would be the 777 with direct aisle access. The AMS option was on DL metal after second glance. Thought it as KLM.
I flew on the AF A380 CDG-LAX in J and thought it was great. I sleep in the cradle position anyway.
TheMadBrewer likes this.

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by TTT
There used to be a security check when going between US/Schengen -- the US bound gates each had their own security setup -- but that changed a year or so ago (maybe two -- once you are over the hill time picks up speed )
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:56 am

I recently connected in CDG and it was relatively painless. The security line was short – I cleared it in about 5 minutes – though I could imagine it being a massive headache if the line were long.

As others have mentioned, passport control moving between the Schengen and non-Schengen zones at AMS can be a mess, but it usually moves pretty quickly for citizens who can use the automated passport check queues (this includes US citizens).

As far as lounges are concerned, Air Frances operates more smaller lounges that are closer to the gates whereas KLM just has two massive Crown Lounges (one in the Schengen zone and one in the non-Schengen zone). I find that the non-Schengen lounge is significantly less crowded, so if you have plenty of time on your way back, you may want to visit that lounge before leaving the Schengen zone. Just be sure to save enough time to clear the passport control.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Not only go through AMS, but see about a long stop. If you have the time, it is a quick train to downtown from the airport, so you have a little time to wander and have lunch. Back in 2014 when we went to Paris, we arrived at 9:00 am, and flew to Paris at 5:00 pm. Had time to go out, it was drizzling but not too bad.
knkjens likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Another vote for AMS. I even try to have a little stopover when I can.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
AMS hands down.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Please note that the lounge at 2G has been renewed and is in fact wonderful. I would say it’s the best AF lounge at CDG.
AMS is indeed the most pleasant one. Another reason to choose AMS and K is that the AF short haul J product is horrific. KLM J short haul is much better plus I really like the personal service of KLM.
So in the end I believe AMS is the better choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.