Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FA sues against Delta for discrimination Israelis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Wow! FA who sued against Delta about discrimination Israelis. She was fired from Delta, but her travel privileges is revoked. You cannot be fired her from Delta. That's not right! She has no reason to be fired from Delta.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/flight...inst-israelis/
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This article provides nothing to show that these employees were actually discriminated against and terminated becuase they’re Jewish or have Jewish friends.

The article only provides some (very limited) info about two of the four plaintiffs. The first days one FA was fired for missing a flight but she claims she was on maternity leave. So there’s a screw up somewhere - possibly on her part, possibly on HRs, but that doesn’t automatically mean “anti Israel/Jewish discrimination”.

The second FA claims she she was suspended and had her travel privileges revoked because she gave her employee companion pass to a Jewish friend. Something tells me that she was actually disciplined becuase her friend did something with the pass while traveling as an NRSA that got her (the employee) in trouble.

From what we’ve been presented so far by the OP, to me this lawsuit seems to line up in a lot of ways with the recent USAFA racist graffiti case - “I’m getting in trouble for something so I’ll claim ‘discrimination’ in an unrelated way and then become a victim, making it more difficult to discipline me.”
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm interested to see how this develops. I remember when Delta teamed with Saudia. My impression then (and now) is what kind of American company goes into business with the airline of a country that is openly (and often officially) anti-semitic (and, no, I am not talking about attitudes towards Israel). I've managed to avoid Delta since then, doing my mainline flying on UA and AA (and, recently, WN). I'd really like to have been a fly on the wall for the corporate discussions about adding Saudia. Without reading the complaint, I am not prepared to venture an opinion as to its merit (and, even then, I might not), but I am also not prepared to simply dismiss it as meritless.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:54 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
This is nothing more than group of disgruntled people looking for a pay day. Many of the people they worked with on the flight to israel are speaking out and saying they are all lying.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by BFG
This is nothing more than group of disgruntled people looking for a pay day. Many of the people they worked with on the flight to israel are speaking out and saying they are all lying.
Citation?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Citation?
No, they didn't have a citation. So yes, they could pay fines or terminated from Delta.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:59 pm

Is it standard practice for Delta to go around asking their staff and customers if they are Jewish to ensure they can fire staff that are friends with jews? We are not talking Sikhs here, how would they know?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm interested to see how this develops. I remember when Delta teamed with Saudia. My impression then (and now) is what kind of American company goes into business with the airline of a country that is openly (and often officially) anti-semitic (and, no, I am not talking about attitudes towards Israel). I've managed to avoid Delta since then, doing my mainline flying on UA and AA (and, recently, WN). I'd really like to have been a fly on the wall for the corporate discussions about adding Saudia. Without reading the complaint, I am not prepared to venture an opinion as to its merit (and, even then, I might not), but I am also not prepared to simply dismiss it as meritless.
PTravel, short of obtaining a Pacer or LexisNexis subscription where would the complaint be accessible online?

Surprised no one in our online circles has dug it up and posted a link.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL

PTravel, short of obtaining a Pacer or LexisNexis subscription where would the complaint be accessible online?

Surprised no one in our online circles has dug it up and posted a link.
Pacer only has federal complaints, and Lexis (or Westlaw) is unlikely to have the complaint. It may be available on the New York court website. I was looking for it myself earlier. I'll try again.

I just noticed this was filed in federal court. I'll check Pacer.

For some reason, I can't get in to Pacer tonight. I'll check tomorrow.

Last edited by PTravel; Jan 3, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by N830MH
No, they didn't have a citation. So yes, they could pay fines or terminated from Delta.
I was asking whether the poster who said "Many of the people they worked with on the flight to israel are speaking out and saying they are all lying." could provide any support for that assertion.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL PM
That's not right! She has no reason to be fired from Delta.

LOL, there is NOTHING in the article you posted that proves one way or another whether she should or should not have been fired. Clearly there is a lot more to the story. Likely just the next in a long line of folks looking for their 15 minutes and a settlement
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Wow! FA who sued against Delta about discrimination Israelis. She was fired from Delta, but her travel privileges is revoked. You cannot be fired her from Delta. That's not right! She has no reason to be fired from Delta.

Completely incoherent.

But at least the article is not. All I see is unsubstantiated claims... smells an awful lot like a few employees got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and figured the race card was their best play.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kb9522
Completely incoherent.

But at least the article is not. All I see is unsubstantiated claims... smells an awful lot like a few employees got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and figured the race card was their best play.
Just as an FYSA, N830MH is deaf and speaks American Sign Language, not standard English. Sign Language doesn't always translate perfectly to the English you and I are used to reading, writing, and speaking.

But yes, I agree on your second point that from what little we've been presented, it sounds like some employees landed in hot water and are trying to use a victim card to try to get out of it, divert attention, get Delta to drop any discipline for fear of being perceived as discriminating against a protected class, or they're looking for a pay day/quick settlement, hoping that Delta will pay out a sizeable enough sum just to get the case to go away. My speculation is the employee who was suspended and had her own travel privileges revoked after giving her employee companion pass to a "Jewish friend" had her travel privileges revoked because the friend violated the NRSA rules while traveling on the NRSA pass.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Just as an FYSA, N830MH is deaf and speaks American Sign Language, not standard English. Sign Language doesn't always translate perfectly to the English you and I are used to reading, writing, and speaking.
Thank you ATOBTTR for reminding everyone's of N830MH's use of American Sign Language and and the very vague translations that do occur. If I recall he used to have in his signature a mention of ASL and translation issues.
PTravel, wrp96, hortkie and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTravel
Pacer only has federal complaints, and Lexis (or Westlaw) is unlikely to have the complaint. It may be available on the New York court website. I was looking for it myself earlier. I'll try again.

I just noticed this was filed in federal court. I'll check Pacer.

For some reason, I can't get in to Pacer tonight. I'll check tomorrow.
Okay, I've gotten a copy of the complaint. If someone can suggest somewhere to upload it, I will. Meanwhile, you can download it here:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket...-airlines-inc/

I'll post again after I've read it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.