FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   [Consolidated Thread]: Cash upgrade offers on Award tickets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1883654-consolidated-thread-cash-upgrade-offers-award-tickets.html)

Hawkeyefan Dec 13, 2017 7:28 am

Upgrade offer on domestic award ticket?

I booked a domestic RT MC award RST to FLL for a very nice point level and full understood I would not be able to upgrade my seats. However looking at my itinerary, I am seeing cash offers to upgrade to E+ and FC. Is this a new thing for award bookings? Can I expect the offers to potentially improve over time, or disappear altogether?

xliioper Dec 13, 2017 7:35 am

People have been getting them for awhile now on award tickets. I wouldn't really count on anything as far as going up or down. Mostly, my offers have stayed the same as of late and then go away if FC gets down to a few seats. With an award, the only way to get an upgrade at that point would be to cancel and rebook as an C+ or FC award.

javabytes Dec 13, 2017 8:05 am

If you accept one of these upgrade offers, and you're a PM or DM that gets free redeposits, what happens to the cash you paid for the upgrade should you decide to cancel your trip?

StayingHomeIsBetter Dec 13, 2017 8:11 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 29169268)
If you accept one of these upgrade offers, and you're a PM or DM that gets free redeposits, what happens to the cash you paid for the upgrade should you decide to cancel your trip?

Fees for purchased UGs on paid tickets, when bought post the original ticket purchase, are not refundable. I cannot imagine VA Ave being any more charitable WRT purchased UGs for award tickets.

FlyerWx Dec 13, 2017 8:43 am

I've noticed an option to upgrade with cash on an award ticket for a while.

The price fluctuation seems like a YMMV thing, because I've seen a ~$10 in C+ price for no discernible reason, whereas FC prices usually stay the same.

jk88usa Dec 13, 2017 8:46 am

Just for kicks: I have a ANC-SEA flight on an award ticket next week, and I can upgrade to C+, for a mere $531! How can I resist?

I’m guessing it’s just trying to charge me the full C+ one way fare, but who knows

altadoc Dec 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx (Post 29169395)
I've noticed an option to upgrade with cash on an award ticket for a while.

The price fluctuation seems like a YMMV thing, because I've seen a ~$10 in C+ price for no discernible reason, whereas FC prices usually stay the same.

I've been watching one of my wife's trips in January. C+ was $45 or so and FC was $191. Now that C= seats are gone FC jumped to $303!

ryandc99 Dec 19, 2017 3:15 pm

[Consolidated Thread]: Cash upgrade offers on Award tickets

Currently upgraded to Y+ - getting a cash offer to upgrade to domestic F.... Never seen this before on an award ticket.

Is this fairly common?

flyerCO Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm

When is departure?

PV_Premier Dec 19, 2017 3:23 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...thread-95.html yes

hortkie Dec 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I've just started to see this within the last 2 weeks or so. I agree it must be new?
It is on the seating chart.
There are options for cash buy up on an award ticket and can choose which leg. There is another option to 'bundle' the 2 leg with a cost savings.

Hawkeyefan Dec 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Yeah I had a similar thread on here a week ago about this.

FSUnole03 Dec 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Is there an answer yet to whether one receives F RDM's and MQM's?

ryandc99 Dec 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03 (Post 29194493)
Is there an answer yet to whether one receives F RDM's and MQM's?

That was what I wanted to ask next.

Departure is about 2 weeks out.

WScottsdaleInsider Dec 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 29194565)
That was what I wanted to ask next.

Departure is about 2 weeks out.

Will you be buying up?

Please report back your findings to this premium thread. Ty