Wiki Posts
Search

6 empty FC seats!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
6 empty FC seats!

DL1350 ATL-CHS departing now just left gate with 6 empty seats in FC. I was the first loser (#1 on UG list). After the door closed I asked the FA and he said they asked the GA to process the upgrades but he declined because the door was about to close. He did have time to walk thru the plane and note all of the empty seats. I said to the FA "well if you wait until the last minute to check the list, of course there isn't time!" He said "I agree." Calling DL when we land.

1st world problems.....
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Were you number 1 for 0 and six people confirmed in F no showed?

I will never have this problem because I usually exit the skyclub 16 minutes before departure and show up at the gate with them paging my name. So at that point, we can establish if first has boarded full.
TheHorta and Henry Desai like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Must be some wonkiness going on at ATL the last few days. Yesterday I had a confirmed upgrade ATL->PHL. I scan my boarding pass and get a new ticket into Comfort+... I asked the agent why I was downgraded and he placed me into one of the still open seats in FC...
So I was downgraded from first class for a flight where there were open first class seats after the upgrade list has cleared...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Flew yesterday with 2 C+ seats empty (which never happens anymore) and 8 people on the C+ upgrade list.

Was very interesting that folks were not upgraded and they were 1 aisle and 1 window so it wasnt people choosing to not upgrade if it was middle.

It was a MD-90 and both were on the 3 seat side so some folks on that flight got a surprise upgrade (no middle person as the 2 middle people slid over once we were in the air)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KingBraden
Must be some wonkiness going on at ATL the last few days. Yesterday I had a confirmed upgrade ATL->PHL. I scan my boarding pass and get a new ticket into Comfort+... I asked the agent why I was downgraded and he placed me into one of the still open seats in FC...
So I was downgraded from first class for a flight where there were open first class seats after the upgrade list has cleared...
Or just normal bad behavior by Delta's ATL employees.
DiverDave and apolloms like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
Calling DL when we land.

1st world problems.....
I was given 7500 miles the last time this happened to me.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
DL1350 ATL-CHS departing now just left gate with 6 empty seats in FC. I was the first loser (#1 on UG list). After the door closed I asked the FA and he said they asked the GA to process the upgrades but he declined because the door was about to close. He did have time to walk thru the plane and note all of the empty seats. I said to the FA "well if you wait until the last minute to check the list, of course there isn't time!" He said "I agree." Calling DL when we land.

1st world problems.....
What were the GA's instructions when you asked, before boarding, whether he would come fish you upstream if you did board?

It is entirely the GA's discretion and the GA's primary duty is to close the flight and assure an ontime push. If the GA told you he would fetch you, that is a valid beef. Otherwise, not.

The FA has no say in this process and it's poor form for one employee to dump on another, especially as to something with which the employee has no role.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
What were the GA's instructions when you asked, before boarding, whether he would come fish you upstream if you did board?

It is entirely the GA's discretion and the GA's primary duty is to close the flight and assure an ontime push. If the GA told you he would fetch you, that is a valid beef. Otherwise, not.

The FA has no say in this process and it's poor form for one employee to dump on another, especially as to something with which the employee has no role.
I've seen GAs be rude and condescending to FAs before so I don't blame them. I actually a reported a DFW agent earlier this year for being extremely rude to an RJ FA.
sdadept likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

I really do not see this as a FA "dumping" on another employee. Just responding to a customer comment. His other options could have been to defend the GA or ignore the customer. Stuff just happens sometimes.

I think many folks here might understand if 1 or 2 seats were still empty if GA expects a last minute arrival. But - 6 of them?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If DL wants to continue touting FC UGs as a valuable benefit of elite status, then it must do more to protect the integrity of the benefit.

Until management enforces the expectation that no FC seat will go out empty when elites are in coach, offenses like this will continue. Clearly, this is not a priority for management.

Another manifestation of the apparent corporate belief that, if they can advertise benefits, and enough gullible people believe them, then they need not be too careful in actually providing the benefits.

As inflated as the elite ranks are, I am justifiably skeptical anytime I see a plane go out with an empty seat in FC.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If DL wants to continue touting FC UGs as a valuable benefit of elite status, then it must do more to protect the integrity of the benefit.

Until management enforces the expectation that no FC seat will go out empty when elites are in coach, offenses like this will continue. Clearly, this is not a priority for management.

Another manifestation of the apparent corporate belief that, if they can advertise benefits, and enough gullible people believe them, then they need not be too careful in actually providing the benefits.

As inflated as the elite ranks are, I am justifiably skeptical anytime I see a plane go out with an empty seat in FC.
You are jumping over the simple fact that OP boarded and thus gave up any claim to an upgrade. The same on AA and UA.

While it was well-meaning to give GA's the option of allowing pax to board and then fetching them later, that is a bad practice. Better to deal with the last minute UG's at T-14, when any unclaimed F seat is up for grabs (earlier if there are seats not sold) and boarding those who are waiting at the gate.

At a minimum, if you are in line for an UG, ask before boarding.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
You are jumping over the simple fact that OP boarded and thus gave up any claim to an upgrade. The same on AA and UA.

While it was well-meaning to give GA's the option of allowing pax to board and then fetching them later, that is a bad practice. Better to deal with the last minute UG's at T-14, when any unclaimed F seat is up for grabs (earlier if there are seats not sold) and boarding those who are waiting at the gate.

At a minimum, if you are in line for an UG, ask before boarding.
The rationalization (excuse) often given here is that taking the time to move elites into available UG seats might delay departure.

Continuing the situation where those with credible potential for the UG have to hang back and distract the GA at the last moments before the door closes cannot be helpful in attaining the on-time departure goal.

Giving the GA the latitude to come onto the plane and bring folks forward, but leaving it discretionary, is not a solution to the problem.

If DL management were serious about buttressing the integrity of this benefit, they could solve this problem. But, clearly, they are not.

Whatever UA or AA do, or do not do, is not relevant. Folks have chosen to fly DL, and DL seeks to assert that it provides better service and benefits.

The rationale that "We are no worse than our competitors" rings hollow.

Accessing a hard-earned benefit, when it is indeed available, should not have to be a crap shoot.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Contests have consequences

Wonder if this is all the result of the UA v DL on time departure percentage war being waged! Something’s gotta give and it looks like we know what that is! DL wins, elites lose.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
You are jumping over the simple fact that OP boarded and thus gave up any claim to an upgrade. The same on AA and UA.....
No, wrong. UA will snag you from the back (the coveted battlefield upgrade). They are very good at not letting any FC seats go out empty if there are Elites in coach.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PMNW GAs had no problem bringing elites up to FC (following the priority ordering on the upgrade list) just before departure if there were open FC seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.