FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta to order 100+ Airbus A321neo Aircraft (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1882623-delta-order-100-airbus-a321neo-aircraft.html)

readywhenyouare Dec 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 29172026)
I don't think Delta will order 787s anytime soon. If Delta wanted 787-10 they would have converted their 787-8 order to 787-10 instead of cancelling it.

I agree. My point is that talk is cheap. Anderson said he would love the 787-10 in the fleet but it was never ordered. If I were Boeing Delta would have zero input on the 797 development. They'll never order it.

Dawgfan6291 Dec 14, 2017 3:02 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29170232)
I take joy in that they probably didn't get a very good deal.

1. AA has a deal with Airbus in that they are owed a rebate if any US carrier gets a lower price than what AA paid Airbus for their planes.

2. I doubt Boeing tried very hard. They know Delta will only order from Airbus.

1) if that is true, then Airbus doesn't care. You can figure out what airlines are roughly paying for airplanes from SEC reports. For the most part Delta/American's 737 and A32S orders have been pretty much on par as far as discounts go. Generally 45%-50% off list.

2) Lets pretend Boeing's management is that stupid and petty, do you know how you don't keep your job as a sales person very long? The things you propose Boeing does is a great step.

simple fact is, if Delta wanted to go with the larger size 757 seat range plane, the A321NEO is the best option on the market. If they wanted to go in the 160 seat range then the 737-8MAX is the best plane on the market.

If they did order the 321NEO I suspect Boeing and CFM weren't able to get the numbers down to compensate for the better performance of the 321NEO with the GTF.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29170423)

That's ok. Our president just gave Delta the finger by telling them to shut up about Open Skies and the ME3. Delta only wants subsides when it is in their favor. Now they will be captive to Airbus for future orders. Good luck getting the best deal. Meanwhile Boeing will be cranking out the Boeing 777X for the ME3 to provide Americans with more nonstop options to more destinations than ever before.

No he didn't. If people have been paying attention to other legislation Trump and congress are going to take steps leveling the playing field but in a way that doesn't have the publicity.

(hint, Tax bill)

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 29170737)
What is Delta's love affair with Airbus.
Personally I can't tell a huge difference between a 737 and A320 series when seated, I know some refer to the 739 as a torture chamber but I've never felt like that one. Not a fan of either one over the other.

the 739 at Delta is a pitch issue.

Plus people compare it to the 757. The 321 and 739 both suck when compared to the old 24F configured 752.

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 29171136)
This is untrue. Many of the SFO/LAX transcons that used to be 75S have gone widebody. DL has plenty of 75S to meet its needs. 75S planes operate non-D1 routes every single day. Why? Because DL has surplus 75S capacity. In fact, just a few months ago DL had the opportunity to create 5 more 75S (during the 75P mod) and they chose not to. Shortage of 75S is a flyertalk myth not based in reality.

but but but but but Delta isn't using the 75S on a few low yielding routes like KEF this summer!!! :p

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29171233)
So in a few years the fleet will look something like this:

Airbus CS-100/300 (replace MD-88/90/717, A319, 737-700)
Airbus A321 (replace A320,737-800/900,757)
Airbus A332/3/9
Airbus A350-900 (replace 747 and 777)

There will be no 767 replacement. Have fun connecting in AMS and CDG for any secondary TATL markets.

No it wont. To say something like shows you have little understanding what Delta is doing with its fleet.
Also to say the A321NEO is going to replace brand new 737s is incredibly laughable.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29171278)

Boeing is currently finalizing the 797 design which will be the end replacement for the 767. Boeing could work in a deal for some new 767's as a temporary solution for a United order.

questionable at best.

Originally Posted by kjnangre (Post 29171297)
5 minutes ago you posted that there's no replacement for the 767 and we're all gonna have to connect to get anywhere. Now you're saying that a 767 replacement is imminent. Cool, you answered your own question. Is this a game to boost your post count or something??

when Delta orders an Airbus readywhenyouare gets so upset about it he/she stops making any sense.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29171333)

Delta won't buy another Boeing. Or at least not until a new management team emerges when the current management either moves on or retires.

want to place a bet?

Originally Posted by Exleftseat (Post 29171414)
I understand they only converted an existing order to 737 MAX, so not really new orders. On the other hand they placed an order for 45 A350, increasing the original order of 35. That was
also an older order ( for the 35 ) but completely unnecessary as it now requires training, new crew base and new maintenance bases for asks that could be easily be accomplished with
Boeing equipment, available right now and in the future. So why does AB catch all these orders?

You understand wrong. The ordered the MAX, then ordered more 737NGs, then converted that 737NG order to MAXs. On top of that they have also ordered a ton of 787s and 777s.

Delta, American and United are simply too large to go to a single OEM. All three current own airplanes from all four OEMs. Highly unlikely to change.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 29171547)
?? Has Delta actually confirmed what seat they will/would put in the planes? A wider airframe does not guarantee a wider seat. DL can still put 15" width seats in the plane and create a really big aisle if they wanted to. (Not saying they would).

-RM

highly unlikely Delta would be modifying the current Airbus fleet to add 18in seats, plus taking new current engine 321s with 18 in seats, only to turn around and take the 321NEO with a different sized seat.

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 29171616)
Sure we can just ignore the fact that these will be assembled in Alabama like the other A321s

even Alabama assembled 32S don't bring the jobs the 737 does to the US. Basically everything for the Airbus is shipped in from around the world and assembled in Alabama. The majority of the 737 is made in the US.

Not that any of that should have a single thing to do with what aircraft Delta orders.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29171874)

Don't pop your champagne too soon. Delta says CNN was speculation and nothing has been decided yet. Although I firmly believe the A321 is the winner and was never any contest. I'll square dance naked on the White House lawn if the 737Max wins. But I don't think the people of DC have anything to worry about. 😄

no they didn't.
They said they don't comment on industry speculation. Jon Ostrower is the one reporting from CNN, he is very rarely, if ever, wrong.

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 29171863)
A big win for DL passengers. Boeing's 1960s-era planes can take a hike.

We've all seen how much of a horror show the AA 737MAXs are. If DL goes in the same direction, at least it'll be on an aircraft with wider seats and more shoulder room.

Yep, Boeing is totally forcing that configuration on American. I heard if Delta ordered the MAX they would have to go with 22in pitch. :rolleyes:

Airlines pick the configuration, not the OEM.

Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 29171927)
Boy did this escalate quickly. In regards to an earlier post regarding Delta replacing the 767s with essentially nothing other than A330-900 NEOs, this is simply not true. While Delta will be retiring 37 of the oldest 767-300ERs, they have 21 767-300ERs that are the same age as the 767-400ERs and 777-200ERs. The next widebody RFP will go out for replacements for these 50 widebodies. As Delta is planning on keeping these aircraft until the end of next decade, the 797 should be available by then. In addition to United, Delta has also had conversations with Boeing in regards to the 797. I'd bet a significant amount of money Delta will be a big customer of the 797 once it is launched. Also, what has not been leaked/rumoured is a 75S replacement. Assuming the Airbus A321 NEO order is a done deal, will any of the orders be for the LR version? Part of the reason for the push for the 797 is that it is rumoured Airlines are not 100% sold on the A321 NEO LR, more of lipstick on a pig.

The biggest reason why Delta selected the A321 NEO is TechOps is rumoured to be in the running to be the primary MRO site for the GTF engines in North America.With the CSeries and now the A320 NEO family, the stars are aligning for TechOps to bring the GTF engines in house.

Just looking at this order from purely a Delta TechOps MRO Services side, MAX and LEAP order would have been better. Most of the big MRO airlines have most aircraft and engines (even at times things like APUs, LRUs etc. etc. ) in their fleets. TechOps has one of the most respected CFM shops in the world and has been doing CFM56 work ever since the DC8 days. The chance of them not also working the LEAP are basically none. On top of that, Delta's current narrowbody fleet currently has the BR715, PW2000, JT8D-219s, CFM56-5A, CFM56-5B, CFM56-7B and the V2500-D5 engine current plus the PW10000G on order...... the chances of an airline with 7 (+1) engines is magically going to go down to a single engine type is also none.

The important thing here is that Delta has a huge narrow body fleet and this order, only 100 frames, is just the very tip of the iceberg. Delta will end up operating the 737MAX and the A32SNEO.
Airbus offered a better deal this time around. Pretty simple.

Originally Posted by Austin787 (Post 29172026)
The CNN article blows things out of proportion, as usual. I don't think there really was a "contest"...I suspect Delta intended to purchase Airbus and only talked to Boeing to keep Airbus honest on price.

Should Delta really be required to only buy Boeing aircraft just because they are a USA based airline? By that logic, European based airlines (British Airways, Ryanair, Norwegian, Air France, etc) should only buy Airbus aircraft and should be criticized for ordering Boeing.

I don't think Delta will order 787s anytime soon. If Delta wanted 787-10 they would have converted their 787-8 order to 787-10 instead of cancelling it.

not necessarily true. Unless you know the exact details of the 787 agreement with Northwest, then Delta later on, that can't be said.

At times it is better to cancel an order then put our a RFP for new airplanes.

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29172039)

I agree. My point is that talk is cheap. Anderson said he would love the 787-10 in the fleet but it was never ordered. If I were Boeing Delta would have zero input on the 797 development. They'll never order it.

If you were Boeing (or Delta) the company wouldn't last .000000006 seconds.

The 787(both 9 and 10) was offered by Boeing on the last RFP for the widebody order. Boeing couldn't compete on price or delivery slots. On top of that Rolls Royce offered Delta/Delta TechOps a deal that couldn't be turned down. No A350 order, No Trent 1000, Trent 7000 and Trent XWB Roll Royce approved maintenance center. The first AMC from Rolls that isn't owned in anyway by Rolls Royce. Boeing and General Electric had absolutely nothing they could offer that was comparable.

Worcester Dec 14, 2017 3:20 am

Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan (Post 29171533)
US Carrier = sad loss of revenue to USA, Boeing, and USA jobs and commerce.

Could Delta not have forced Boeing to raise their bar, and could Boeing not have obliged?

A shameful loss of USA jobs, thanks Delta!

Maybe that @#$%^&* in the White House will attempt to salvage this.

The aircraft will be built in the US and a very significant part of the value comes from US companies just as Boeing aircraft source parts in the U.K., EU and Japan. The realities of modern supply chains make a mockery of economic nationalism. Or perhaps you think EU countries should stop buying Boeings?

readywhenyouare Dec 14, 2017 3:24 am

I'm not upset at all. I absolutely expected this order.

I think having over 200 A321's is a bit much though. There will be a huge gap in between the CS100/300 and the A321. I just find it interesting that Delta thinks they know better than AA and IlUA. Both AA and UA wanted the 737-8max and both wanted the 787. Having the A330 as your smallest widebody is a bad strategy. Just look at AF, KLM, BA, VS, etc. They had to turn their American partners with 767 and 757 aircraft to operate some of their smaller markets as their own equipment was too big. The question is if Delta is willing to cede these smaller markets to United who is currently mopping the floor with AA and DL when it comes to new international markets. The 787 is the perfect aircraft for new and thin markets. The A330 is only good for hub traffic. It's just way too big for any moderate city.

readywhenyouare Dec 14, 2017 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Worcester (Post 29172417)

The aircraft will be built in the US and a very significant part of the value comes from US companies just as Boeing aircraft source parts in the U.K., EU and Japan. The realities of modern supply chains make a mockery of economic nationalism. Or perhaps you think EU countries should stop buying Boeings?

Nationalism has nothing to do with it for me. My car is German and most things I use every day are from some other country. Every nation has an industry that is best. I think BMW makes the best cars and I think Boeing builds the best airplanes. Boeing has been around much longer than Airbus and has had to compete with market forces from the very beginning. They stood to fail many times but ultimately survived. Airbus was born with subsidies in hand.

Dawgfan6291 Dec 14, 2017 3:45 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29172424)
I'm not upset at all. I absolutely expected this order.

I think having over 200 A321's is a bit much though. There will be a huge gap in between the CS100/300 and the A321. I just find it interesting that Delta thinks they know better than AA and IlUA. Both AA and UA wanted the 737-8max and both wanted the 787. Having the A330 as your smallest widebody is a bad strategy. Just look at AF, KLM, BA, VS, etc. They had to turn their American partners with 767 and 757 aircraft to operate some of their smaller markets as their own equipment was too big. The question is if Delta is willing to cede these smaller markets to United who is currently mopping the floor with AA and DL when it comes to new international markets. The 787 is the perfect aircraft for new and thin markets. The A330 is only good for hub traffic. It's just way too big for any moderate city.

You are acting like Delta is going to replace all of its 160 seaters tomorrow.
A lot of this order will be some 757 199 seat replacements, some A320 replacements and some growth.

As for the 787, I have told you 100 times...... Delta is going to end up operating the 787. Matter of fact I'd bet it has them at least on order by 2025, if not in operation.

PS rumor mills says CFM lost this order, not Boeing.

readywhenyouare Dec 14, 2017 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 (Post 29172457)
You are acting like Delta is going to replace all of its 160 seaters tomorrow.
A lot of this order will be some 757 199 seat replacements, some A320 replacements and some growth.

As for the 787, I have told you 100 times...... Delta is going to end up operating the 787. Matter of fact I'd bet it has them at least on order by 2025, if not in operation.

PS rumor mills says CFM lost this order, not Boeing.

I'm not sure why Delta doesn't just spin off Delta Tech Ops like Lufthansa Technik. It seems silly to let an engine service contract dictate your fleet. Pratt and Whitney isn't the most reliable engine manufacturer. The GTF has been nothing but trouble and has caused delays for the A320neo. Not to mention the previous incidents with their exploding engines. RR isn't known for quality either with the L-1011 fiasco and the unnecessarily complex triple spool turbines. GE seems to be the only consistently reliable provider. Plus the GE90 and GE9X are nothing short of technological marvels.

GrayAnderson Dec 14, 2017 4:53 am

Originally Posted by jrmsp (Post 29170620)
Why are you assuming they didn't have a proposal from Boeing as well?

I suspect DL did get a proposal from Boeing. I also wouldn't be surprised if DL went with Airbus even at a small premium to box Boeing on the ears...but I don't necessarily see DL becoming Airbus-captive just yet (though I could see it as a trend). It's one thing if you're only operating a single aircraft/aircraft family (VX and WN come to mind on this front), but I don't think that sort of advantage scales for an entire company. Still, a hard slap-down against Boeing was probably in order after the CS-100 incident.

Dawgfan6291 Dec 14, 2017 5:15 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29172462)

I'm not sure why Delta doesn't just spin off Delta Tech Ops like Lufthansa Technik. It seems silly to let an engine service contract dictate your fleet. Pratt and Whitney isn't the most reliable engine manufacturer. The GTF has been nothing but trouble and has caused delays for the A320neo. Not to mention the previous incidents with their exploding engines. RR isn't known for quality either with the L-1011 fiasco and the unnecessarily complex triple spool turbines. GE seems to be the only consistently reliable provider. Plus the GE90 and GE9X are nothing short of technological marvels.

You don't know what you are talking about. What happened nearly 50 years ago with the RB211 has absolutely nothing to do with the current Trents. Triple spools are not "unnecessarily complex". For a person educated on them they are quite simple to understand and have benefits over the twin spools of GE/PW. The Trent XWB is also nothing short of a technological marvel and might be the best motor on the market, period. The GE90, for example has stupid high cost, stupid high maintenance costs, and stupid high overhaul costs. On wing/TBO times are not that great either.

The PW1100G, when working correctly, is the best motor for the A321NEO. Most of the issues have been worked out it is just about finding shop time to fix the current on wing engines as well as Pratts supply chain trying to ramp up production faster than planned. The GTF is the way of the future. Rolls is already trying to move that way with the UltraFan and GE/CFM will move that way with the next narrow body engine. Like the 787, the first to the game generally has some teething issue.

Technik isn't "spun off". It is a subsidiary of Lufthansa Group. Like Delta and Air France/KLM, Lufthansa are smart enough to know that the revenue from the MRO work is a big deal. TechOps makes around $750M to $1B in revenue, in what world does it make sense to give that money away? Also a multi-million if not billion engine contract is not silly at all.

pvn Dec 14, 2017 5:49 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29172424)
I'm not upset at all.

...says the person who has 78% of the posts in this thread

3Cforme Dec 14, 2017 5:57 am

So, who's going to pay close attention to Investor Day materials today?

A live webcast of this event will be available at Delta Air Lines, Inc. - News & Events - Events Calendar

It starts at 8:30AM Eastern Time.

ClipperDelta Dec 14, 2017 6:10 am

Official press release

Delta selects Airbus A321neo for narrowbody fleet renewal | Delta News Hub

deliveries to start in 2020. configured for 20F, 30Y+ and 147Y

Cledaybuck Dec 14, 2017 6:32 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 29171233)
So in a few years the fleet will look something like this:

Airbus CS-100/300 (replace MD-88/90/717, A319, 737-700)
Airbus A321 (replace A320,737-800/900,757)
Airbus A332/3/9
Airbus A350-900 (replace 747 and 777)

There will be no 767 replacement. Have fun connecting in AMS and CDG for any secondary TATL markets.

Define a few years. In five years DL will probably still have active 717's, 737's, 767's, and 777's (and possibly 757's too). They are still taking delivery of 739's until 2019. Those are going to be there a loooooooooooong time.

Cledaybuck Dec 14, 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta (Post 29172692)
Official press release

Delta selects Airbus A321neo for narrowbody fleet renewal Delta News Hub

deliveries to start in 2020. configured for 20F, 30Y+ and 147Y

I wonder where the space for the five extra seats comes from?

Longboater Dec 14, 2017 7:06 am

The announcement is as much about TechOps becoming the MRO for the GTF as well as the A321 NEO order.