Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta Platinum/Diamond worth it, without upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

I've been Diamond for over three years, and renewing for my fourth, but this year was the first time the "FC monetization" project has really impacted me. My upgrades have plummeted across the board for nearly all my domestic flights. Even flying on Tuesdays/Wednesdays. The amount of corporate travelers flying exclusively Delta has had a definite impact, even if Delta is making record levels of money.

It's been really hard to find justification to make the leap from Gold to Platinum/Diamond if there's no chance of upgrades. While the Choice Benefits are nice, and the Diamond Desk is great, I'm failing to see any incremental value. I rarely call Delta now and just use the Twitter team, who provide excellent customer service regardless of Medallion status. I have also been struggling to use GUCs because upgrade space is hardly released anymore, and everything is on a waitlist only basis.

And while ComfortPlus is a nice upgrade/product, I would rather be flying in AA First or United First Domestic than DL ComfortPlus. Does Diamond make sense (for me) anymore? Does it for you?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I can still use GUCs if I'm flexible and start looking 11 months in advance. This makes them useful only for vacation travel. I commonly use the free Skymiles re-deposit available only to PM and DM. And the choice benefits are better than nothing.

That said, I get your sentiments about the comp UGs. Maybe they work for short-haul travelers, but most of my travel is transcon. And I can't remember the last time I got an UG. The only time I've felt the soft leather seats is when I paid for it. Last week I couldn't get an UG even with a RUC.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
I agree with you, especially on the upgrades. I can't count the number of times I've been #1 for the upgrade with 0 seats available. Even using the RUC hasn't helped. Hard to upgrade when their are no seats to upgrade to. That said, I will once again hit diamond, but I don't expect much for 2018. I've gotten used to just paying for the "upgrade" (WFBF) to an A fare. Actually kinda like it as it gives me great flexibility with SDC to change to other more acceptable flights.
I have lifetime "annual gold" status from hitting 2 million mile a decade ago, and most likely will get lifetime annual platinum sometime in 2019 when I hit 4 million miles. That said, Platinum is the new silver. Silver and gold really don't "get" much any more. Priority boarding, a free checked bag, and maybe C+, but I expect that will change too as all diamonds will (are) be relegated to C+ pushing the others to back cabin. Loyalty and benefits are no longer equated.
Loyalty air travel has really changed.
FLYPWM and dmarge18 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I'm questioning the value of PM based on the move to Premium Economy and the end of comp 'upgrade' to C+ for longhaul. Yes it will be some time before the A350 is in the Atlantic fleet in large numbers, but the 777 refit will also axe C+.
C+ for TATL was a significant reason for me to strive (and to spend quite a bit more via Amex). I'll be PM through Jan of '19, but after than will probably fall back to GM (some years could be FO even) and look for whoever has the best price + schedule for P.E. (or perhaps Y+) to Europe -- typically 4x per year, no corporate reimb/my own dime.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The A350 will never be in the Atlantic fleet in "large numbers". That's what the A330neo order is for. The A330neo's aren't scheduled to start delivery until 2019. DL hasn't stated whether they will have PE or not.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by keitherson
And while ComfortPlus is a nice upgrade/product, I would rather be flying in AA First or United First Domestic than DL ComfortPlus.
Because the F upgrades are so plentiful on UA?

The value of top tier status is getting whittled down on all three legacies, particularly when it comes to upgrades. Fortunately, the devaluation of status has been accompanied by a drop in J/F fares, so I find upgrades to be of diminished importance.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I’d like to get more domestic upgrades, but I will still hit about 70% this year.
For me GUCs are still generally successful for me (I’m retired now, so have a lot of flexibility in my travel) and the ability to cancel/change award tickets are big benefits for diamond/platinum status.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP's post makes it sound like he only nominally flies enough to make Gold every year. If he's making up the rest with mileage runs (and perhaps some CC MQM's), then I have a hard time seeing how it is actually worth it from a cost and time perspective. If you are primarily concerned about domestic upgrades, the money spent on MR's could easily finance a good number of FCM's buy-up's. People will often say the GUC's are worth it to them to make DM. But if you are mostly using GUC's to upgrade your MR's, you can't really claim they are providing much additional value.
OceanAir and Scott H like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Gifting FO to the wife, the comp upgrades for C+ (especially on super cheap Europe flights I have been buying lately and getting my C+ "upgrade") free SDC for my business travel life, and redepositing SM are my big things for keeping PM. I guess if those things go away I would just strive for GM
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I agree with you, especially on the upgrades. I can't count the number of times I've been #1 for the upgrade with 0 seats available.
Me too, to the point of where I was going to have a t-shirt printed: "#1 4 0"

David
yohanson, apodo77 and dmarge18 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Free cancel/redeposit of SM on award bookings as a PM is pretty much the most valuable benefit to me now that UG's are down to the 30% range for me out of STL as a PM.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Increased earnings and choice benefits are still a good perk.

IMO the GUC/RUC are more trouble than they are worth.

My upgrade % as DM is still pretty good. But if you are flying hub to hub alot your results will be worse.

Maybe keep plugging until you get lifetime PM?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
IPlatinum is the new silver. Silver and gold really don't "get" much any more. Priority boarding, a free checked bag, and maybe C+, but I expect that will change too as all diamonds will (are) be relegated to C+ pushing the others to back cabin. Loyalty and benefits are no longer equated.
Loyalty air travel has really changed.
Platinum is a lot more than Silver. Instant C+ upgrades upon booking is a pretty neat perk, and IROPS handling has been excellent for me as well. You also get access to some international lounges, like the really good VS departure lounge @ LHR.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
My upgrade percentage is probably more like 60-70% as a DM, but I think that's totally dependent on route. I do call (usually when the website won't work), and I appreciate the lounge access. It's worth it for me, but I didn't have to do anything other than my normal, company-paid travel to achieve it.

I might consider a minor mileage run if I had to, but if more than 10K miles, I'd probably just accept PM. It would be unlikely considering my job to be less than PM unless my route became one that Delta did not service.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Free cancel/redeposit of SM on award bookings as a PM is pretty much the most valuable benefit to me now that UG's are down to the 30% range for me out of STL as a PM.
Ditto. And 2018 will be my last as a PM. New position in the company with less travel. Since I probably won't even be able to make Gold, I'm just going to go for the best fare/route out of STL. Being loyal to Delta out of STL, the only direct flights are to the hubs or NYC. Lots of connecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.