Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How do I maximize my chance for upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

Hi everyone! I was wondering the following:

All else being equal, if I want to maximize my chances of upgrade, should I
a) buy my ticket as early or possible, or
b) buy later and thus get a higher fare class?

In other words, is time of purchase or fare class/ticket price better when it comes to upgrades?

thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:08 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Delta's upgrade priority is:

1 Medallion Status
2 Fare Class Groupings
3 Delta Reserve Credit Card Members
4 Delta Corporate Travelers*
5 Card Members who earned the Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQD) Waiver in the current calendar year1
6 Date and time of upgrade request
Fare class is much more important than date/time of request. However, you can buy a higher fare class than the lowest that is currently on sale at any time you prefer. This is easy to do over the phone or you can use the drop down menu in Delta's advanced search online. I'll often purchase X fares instead of V fares for domestic itineraries on which I have a good upgrade chance, as the difference is often only $5-$10.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 10.04.31.png
Views: 1226
Size:  204.1 KB

If you give us your status, routes, and times many here will be able to help estimate your upgrade chances.
calrick likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bilfrost

In other words, is time of purchase or fare class/ticket price better when it comes to upgrades?

thanks!
I'm not being facetious when I say then, 'buy it'. Delta has gone to almost no upgrades even if you are the highest of diamond on most routes. Its just the way the program has gone. The upside to this is that you aren't locked into delta if you do. Fly any airline but pay up for the FCM.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by sdadept
I'm not being facetious when I say then, 'buy it'. Delta has gone to almost no upgrades even if you are the highest of diamond on most routes.
lol

I'm over 50% for the year as a lowly PM
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:08 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by pvn
lol

Same, around 60% here ^
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by sdadept
I'm not being facetious when I say then, 'buy it'. Delta has gone to almost no upgrades even if you are the highest of diamond on most routes. Its just the way the program has gone. The upside to this is that you aren't locked into delta if you do. Fly any airline but pay up for the FCM.
That is a load of crap, I am at well over 75% on upgrades this year, last year finished just as good. Much of your upgrade success is based on routs flown and fare basis (and obviously status)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
That is a load of crap, I am at well over 75% on upgrades this year, last year finished just as good. Much of your upgrade success is based on routs flown and fare basis (and obviously status)
I'm at 85% YTD 50 for 59 eligible + 15 ineligible. All on V or X fares.

I find that route, day of the week and time of day are the key factors.

All 9 of my misses have been in or out of ATL on Tuesday or Wednesday with 6 of those ATL-LAX or LAX-ATL. That's a tough route where many flights are sold out in F a week before and people use GUC's and RUC's. Typically at least 45 on the UG list. I always book early and have a C+ aisle since I figure that's where I'm going to sit

If you really must sit up front then GAP fares purchased early are probably your best choice.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
I don't have a percentage of success, but even as lowly FO scum this year I've had at least three segments upgrade to first. Two were my home leg from SLC-RNO and one was JFK-SYR. Buying my tickets last minute, I'm often on L or K fares which I suspect places me above most other FOs. I'll make a note to keep track of my success rate more once I hit GM this month and eventually PM next year.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
lol

I was under 30% as a lowly PM and well under 50% (12 of 29 flights) as a not quite as lowly Diamond (since making Diamond).

It all depends on where and when you fly.

I was recently #12 on the UG list ATL-PBI.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
By 2020, Delta is targeting giving out less than half the upgrades they do today. Set some boundaries for how far you're really willing to go to chase them. Also keep in mind the fare difference to buy up to First Class in advance may not be that much more than you'd pay for a higher coach fare class purchased closer in.

You don't state who is funding these tickets, but if it is work, I would suggest not endangering your career by deliberately delaying ticket purchases so you can have more expensive fares and thus better upgrade chances.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by javabytes
By 2020, Delta is targeting giving out less than half the upgrades they do today. Set some boundaries for how far you're really willing to go to chase them. Also keep in mind the fare difference to buy up to First Class in advance may not be that much more than you'd pay for a higher coach fare class purchased closer in.

You don't state who is funding these tickets, but if it is work, I would suggest not endangering your career by deliberately delaying ticket purchases so you can have more expensive fares and thus better upgrade chances.
Excellent advice ^
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by javabytes

What is your source for this statement?? Delta is targeting giving out less than half the upgrades they do today
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
WFBF.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
What is your source for this statement?? Delta is targeting giving out less than half the upgrades they do today
Delta is targeting 80% paid First Class load factor by 2020, so 20% of seats unsold and given out as upgrades. From the investor presentations, they're at ~55% paid load factor today, so 45% of seats unsold and available for upgrades. 45% --> 20% = less than half the number of upgrades available.

See, for example: http://laptoptravel.blogspot.com/201...l-upgrade.html

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 9, 2017 at 12:25 pm
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bilfrost

thanks!
Do you have any status with DL? Are you hoping for a free elite upgrade, an upgrade paid with miles, or just a rare random upgrade because coach is oversold (called an OPUP)?

I very much agree with the advice not to mess around and delay purchase if your employer is paying for the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.