Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First A350 premium-economy review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Delta Dude
I just snagged a seat on DL 133 AMS-DTW for April... Apparently, they're flying the A350 on that route on that day, at least according to DL.dumb—hope I'm not in for an April Fools Day prank. I thought they were only going to be putting it on TPAC. Excited!!
The original routes announced were TPAC but with more 350s coming, this flight was recently updated to be the 350. Starts on March 31 DL132 DTW-AMS and April 1 DL133 AMS-DTW
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Any indication when DL refits the 777s with PE, if they will use the same 18.5 width seat (and a wider aisle?), or will they bump the width a bit. I would think they won't got a lot wider, or folks who fly both will start to complain that the A350 P.E. feels 'tight'.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
It's premium economy. What exactly are you expecting??
Some airlines choose to put in wider seats in their premium economy section making this less of an issues, like Virgin Atlantic.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Some airlines choose to put in wider seats in their premium economy section making this less of an issues, like Virgin Atlantic.
And Delta did not.
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Question: Being Plat medallion member on non Premium economy flights gives you almost immediate free upgrade to C+. Being plat on flights that offer PE, what advantage does Platinum give you, in terms of seating?
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by bennos
As we've discussed in other threads before, modern day Premium Economy is in many ways just a return to the original 1980s Business Class.
In 1989, I flew in Delta's "Medallion Class" ATL-HAM (with a stop at LGW). This was on an L-1011. Our seats were the same as domestic F seats on the 767; they were 2-4-2. First class was 2 rows of 2-2-2; really comfy looking wide recliners. I remember a steak dinner on the flight, paired with Taittinger Brut champagne, the finest I have ever had on an airliner (they had Dom up front). I had a really great trip.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Mama
And Delta did not.
Which is weird given that Delta owns -- what 49% -- of Virgin Atlantic. I don't understand why airlines that own other airlines don't install the same seats across their brands. Air France and KLM are a perfect example.
koreanair720 and KOTAR1988 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by bennos
As we've discussed in other threads before, modern day Premium Economy is in many ways just a return to the original 1980s Business Class.
Yes, and the opulent Business suites of the day are like inflated First products from the years until ~2000.

This is why the First cabins are on death row across the board, they serve no real purpose.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I did a quick check on PE fares to see the multiple over cheap Y and it seems to be in the neighborhood of 2x. AF's PE is (was?) only $300-500 over cheap Y which is often less than 2X. And cheap J is usually in the 2.5x-2.5x range. So PE seems way overpriced for what it provides. Comments?
KOTAR1988 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
My experiences with W were on a QF A380 and a NZ 747. I don't recall the seat width, but in my experience it was the width of the arm rest that made all the difference. QF had a wider arm rest than NZ and it made for a more pleasant flight.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
These arm rests look a little meager, which is disconcerting with a 18.5 wide seat. My expectation for PE is essentially a CR9 F seat with more leg room. I routinely fly ORD-SLC on the CR9, and I find the seat very comfprtable. VS far exceeds that. BA on their 787 is excellent even with a 18.5 wide seat, but their 777 seat is horrible.

I will be willing to try DL on the 350 on a transatlantic route. I'm going to be trying the AF A380 PE in April, and if I don't like it I will go with DL for my late summer trip.

Transpac, I bite the bullet and spend miles for award J on oneworld or Star.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
I did a quick check on PE fares to see the multiple over cheap Y and it seems to be in the neighborhood of 2x. AF's PE is (was?) only $300-500 over cheap Y which is often less than 2X. And cheap J is usually in the 2.5x-2.5x range. So PE seems way overpriced for what it provides. Comments?
Based on online reviews, the Air France PE product is just about the worst flying. I hope the Delta one is closer to VS (though obviously it's not as wide; we'll have to see if it's wide enough or not...). The VS PE multiple varies quite a lot depending on flight duration and season; when I buy it's usually around 2x but I've seen it as low as 30% extra and as high as 5x. Given that Delta is currently only flying on very long routes, 2x isn't out of line based on the reviews I've read.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Longboater
From all indications between photos and reports, Premium Select appears to be a one step down from the old 767 BE seats before the current product was installed, albeit with less recline and legroom. Actually, it reminds me most of the original Business Class product on the MD-11. While I reserve the right to judge by trying it out myself, so far from the hard and soft product, a job well done by Delta. Soft product and leg rest at every seat beats AA's W product.
But the narrower seat/personal space with less storage does not.

It appears like the DL and AA PE products are roughly the same. Both have their pros and cons. It will be a personal decision which one to prefer.

The old 767 J had way more space when looking at the dimensions. Much more width, pitch, and recline. PE isn't close. I would imagine the old cushy J seats were much more comfortable as well. I'd say it's much more than one step down.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by weero

This is why the First cabins are on death row across the board, they serve no real purpose.
Not true. F cabins have also gotten more opulent. You need to try a real F experience like the new AF La Premiere on the 777-300ER.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:28 pm

[QUOTE=minnyfly;29006441]But the narrower seat/personal space with less storage does not.

It appears like the DL and AA PE products are roughly the same. Both have their pros and cons. It will be a personal decision which one to prefer.

/QUOTE]

And that seems to be the case with ALL premium Economy products!

As a long time NZ flyer I saw/heard/experienced the whole RANGE of arguments for and against that carriers original Y+... then the "Spaceseats" ..(6 across in a 777) and now the new more conventional product.....

Some will love it...some will hate it. Some will expect Business Lite and be disappointed...some will be more reaslistic and enjoy the extra space etc....

Prices will vary...naturally... and those who hate the product will cherry pick the flights where it is most expensive in order to make their point... fans will find the cheapest premium over Y fares to make THEIRS.

Enjoy the ride folks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.