Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seating Options for Medallion Upgrades with a Companion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Options for Medallion Upgrades with a Companion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gretchendz
Here's what happens to us....
I'm the frequent flyer, husband is not. When flying together, I make sure I am assigned to the middle seat. He says if there is a one person upgrade it should be me, because I earn them and he is a sweetie.

When it has happened that only one can be upgraded, (It has several times) we have always been called up by the Gate Agent who asks is we want to stay back in steerage together, or, if one gets the UG, which one? Very civilized. I always take the UG as I said, my husband is a sweetie
More importantly, the middle seat gets the upgrade and then the two of you determine who sits where.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP here and my girlfriend and I have a trip coming up the first week of December, except she's not making me give up my upgrade chances. I truly would prefer sitting next to her in coach than upfront. I do almost all of my flying alone so of course I want to sit next to her when I can. However, we have a SLC-BOS redeye where I'm currently exit row window and shes next to me in the middle seat. I may swap that so shes assigned the window seat and I'll try for the upgrade. She knows I don't sleep on redeyes so as long as she gets her window/wall to lean up against and sleep, she might be ok with us splitting for that one leg. If the upgrade doesn't clear she would let me take the window anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Hey everyone -

I'll be a new FO next week and I just had a couple questions regarding upgrade seating that I couldn't seem to find anywhere else.

I'm mostly a leisure traveler and most of the time it's with my wife. So while I'm not expecting (m)any upgrades, what is the process of seating with your companion? I know my wife would rather sit in the worst seats on the plane and next to me than one row apart in first class. Is there an easy way to guarantee seats together when upgraded or to automatically decline an upgrade unless seats are together?

Secondly, I know I will have access to preferred seats for myself and a companion. We will have a trip coming up with four in the reservation. I know it would require a 2/2 split PNR in order to get C+/FC upgrades, but does the same hold true for preferred seating as well? Or can I select exit row seats for me and my wife and seat the other two in "regular" coach seats while keeping us all on the same PNR (for IRROPS and baggage allowances purposes)?

Thanks for your help!
The upgrade thing with a family is a PIA. Our family has two pax with status and one without (smalls). We cannot book on one PNR if we want a chance of C+ or FC. Bummer to always book two reservations.

Take the UG if it happens! As others mentioned, if you end up FC (rare as FO but still does happen), I have always gotten others to swap. (because there are no middle seats and most seats are pretty good!) GL!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM
One last question about this, guys.

My bonus MQMs posted today, so I am now FO. I have an existing reservation that, if possible, I would like to select preferred seats. However, the seat map is still showing a charge to select those seats.

Is there either A) a lag in obtaining FO and access to the seat selection benefits or B) must you have status at booking to select the preferred seats?

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's fairly standard that if your MQMs posted today, your 2018 status should already reflect FO, but your status for the remainder of 2017 will not get upgraded until tomorrow (I think there have been reports of it taking longer but that's atypical). Check what the status meter says.

So I'd check again tomorrow morning. If your 2017 status is updated but it still won't let you select preferred seats, you might have to remove and then re-add your SM # to the ticket.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Kind of strange, but thanks for the reply Zorak.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's slightly weird I'll grant you, and I have no idea how they have it coded but it's entirely plausible that "promote people's current-year status if they have achieved a new Medallion level" is a program that runs once-a-day, but the display for "what's your status next year" is just a simple query.

One reason why the "promotion" thing might be a once-a-day batch job could be that there are some one-time actions triggered off of it (congrats emails, enabling Choice Benefits for PM/DM, etc.)

Not that this couldn't be done in a smarter way (batch job for the one-time things plus instantaneous query for other purposes).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

And if I guess the worst it can be described as is "slightly weird," that's basically a win for Delta IT.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by curl
The upgrade thing with a family is a PIA. Our family has two pax with status and one without (smalls). We cannot book on one PNR if we want a chance of C+ or FC. Bummer to always book two reservations.

Take the UG if it happens! As others mentioned, if you end up FC (rare as FO but still does happen), I have always gotten others to swap. (because there are no middle seats and most seats are pretty good!) GL!
If there are more than 2 people on the PNR, then is everyone passed over for the UG to F? What about C+? I am an FO traveling with wife and 2 kids, and I just assumed that I could get two C+ seats for free and then pay for the other two.

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
If there are more than 2 people on the PNR, then is everyone passed over for the UG to F? What about C+? I am an FO traveling with wife and 2 kids, and I just assumed that I could get two C+ seats for free and then pay for the other two.

Thanks
At most one general member can be upgraded as the companion of a Medallion member (it's different if all travelers have status).

It sounds like you are the only traveler with status, therefore none of you will be upgraded if you book all 4 together. Booking 2+2 would work, assuming there is any C+ upgrade inventory at the FO window.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html#companion
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
When traveling as four, we do 2+2. I (PM) book the last row of C+ and my wife (GM) books the first row of Economy (Preferred). That way, the kids can get their frozen yogurt bars (for now).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
At most one general member can be upgraded as the companion of a Medallion member (it's different if all travelers have status).

It sounds like you are the only traveler with status, therefore none of you will be upgraded if you book all 4 together. Booking 2+2 would work, assuming there is any C+ upgrade inventory at the FO window.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...html#companion
Indeed I'm the only one with status. So I assume I would first select preferred seats for everyone together in Y, then call to split the PNR in to two pairs of adult/child. Once we're 24 hours out I could then move myself and one child to C+ and buy the other pair up to C+ so we can sit together (unless by some miracle I get UG to F). If there isn't 4 seats together, we can just stay in preferred Y and take our chances at the gate. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
When traveling as four, we do 2+2. I (PM) book the last row of C+ and my wife (GM) books the first row of Economy (Preferred). That way, the kids can get their frozen yogurt bars (for now).
Which route(s) offer frozen yogurt bars in C+? I usually have to beg for a soda and a Biscoff in C+, now that they have water-only routes. Thankfully, they will usually provide other beverages if asked.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JW6130
Which route(s) offer frozen yogurt bars in C+? I usually have to beg for a soda and a Biscoff in C+, now that they have water-only routes. Thankfully, they will usually provide other beverages if asked.
Domestic D1 routes, although it has been rumored that it will be discontinued.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Indeed I'm the only one with status. So I assume I would first select preferred seats for everyone together in Y, then call to split the PNR in to two pairs of adult/child. Once we're 24 hours out I could then move myself and one child to C+ and buy the other pair up to C+ so we can sit together (unless by some miracle I get UG to F). If there isn't 4 seats together, we can just stay in preferred Y and take our chances at the gate. Am I missing something obvious?
Thanks
Is this allowed? Can you really book into preferred with one medallion member, then split the reservation to take advantage of a medallion upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.