Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying for Skyclub Membership: Worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for Skyclub Membership: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767

Regarding the Amex Plat, I also have access to the Centurion Clubs via this card, but those lounges have been a bit of mess these days with overcrowding. Allegedly Amex is reconsidering access options.
Effective tomorrow Amex is ONLY allowing Platinum & Centurion card holders into the lounges. (and their guests) no more option to buy a $50 day pass for any other Amex card.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Whether you go with a credit/charge card or buying the membership the one thing I would STRONGLY urge you NOT to consider is the DL Amex Reserve Credit Card. I for the life of me can not figure out what the benefit of that card is especially with the Amex Platinum Charge card giving better benefits for almost the same annual fee.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Whether you go with a credit/charge card or buying the membership the one thing I would STRONGLY urge you NOT to consider is the DL Amex Reserve Credit Card. I for the life of me can not figure out what the benefit of that card is especially with the Amex Platinum Charge card giving better benefits for almost the same annual fee.
The 15k/30k MQM boosts?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
The 15k/30k MQM boosts?
The platinum has the 10k/20k MQM boosts and offers everything the reserve offers that is worth anything for $250 less a year plus if you add users those are free unlike the reserve which charges for additional users. feel like the minimal difference in MQM boosts does not justify the increased costs but thats just my opinion.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Effective tomorrow Amex is ONLY allowing Platinum & Centurion card holders into the lounges. (and their guests) no more option to buy a $50 day pass for any other Amex card.
Yay! That's wonderful.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM
The platinum has the 10k/20k MQM boosts and offers everything the reserve offers that is worth anything for $250 less a year plus if you add users those are free unlike the reserve which charges for additional users. feel like the minimal difference in MQM boosts does not justify the increased costs but thats just my opinion.
Sure, one can carry the DL Plat and the Amex Plat Charge together, but it's still more expensive than just carrying the Reserve. I agree the unbranded Plat has a ton of benefits, but for some, the extra 10k MQM wins out.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....and the Escape lounges, including the one at MSP that's not crowded as they no longer accept PP. IIRC other locations include BDL and BWI.
it is OAK. This has been addressed before.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Thanks. Getting back to my more original question: I've never had the pleasure of experiencing a SC. What should I expect? I'd hate to buy a membership and then be super disppointed with what they have to offer / crowds.

I travel maybe about 10-12x a year; so nothing compared to most folks around here on the forum.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bgusto
Thanks. Getting back to my more original question: I've never had the pleasure of experiencing a SC. What should I expect? I'd hate to buy a membership and then be super disppointed with what they have to offer / crowds.

I travel maybe about 10-12x a year; so nothing compared to most folks around here on the forum.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately, Delta is the odd man out when it comes to transitioning a single visit into an annual membership. While AA and UA will allow you to apply $50 from a single visit pass toward your annual membership (within 30 days of your visit), Delta doesn't seem to have such a policy.

You're stuck either paying the $59, or flying a ticket which includes Skyclub access if you want to try the lounge before getting a membership or Amex.
bgusto likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
From my perspective, if you will use the SC at least 10 times a year its a no brainer and once you are used to having access you will miss it as I can vouch because earlier this year I let mine expire and I was sitting at LaGuardia dreadfully missing it and renewed it prior to my next trip.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Miesque
From my perspective, if you will use the SC at least 10 times a year its a no brainer and once you are used to having access you will miss it as I can vouch because earlier this year I let mine expire and I was sitting at LaGuardia dreadfully missing it and renewed it prior to my next trip.
Oh my gosh - LGA is horrible. They lost my checked bag during a layover. Still haven't located it 45 days later.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by indufan
The worth is in direct correlation to your alcohol consumption.
Originally Posted by bergamini
As a bizarre outlier, if you like gin note that they switched recently to an Amsterdam style product I consider inferior, and this is absolutely going to weigh in on my decision to renew.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I love Gin (hey I am a Brit) and agree the Amsterdam style is not pleasant and has an oily taste/texture . Not a fan - MUCH prefer the usual suspects .
So, the worth is in direct correlation to your willingness to consume cheap liquor.

Agree with the description of the new gin. If I wanted genever, I'd buy genever. But, I don't like genever. I hope that DL is getting a good discount in return for foisting this stuff on us.

lol - to be honest, I actually don’t drink much, even when traveling. The benefit for me would be purely just for the environment, WiFi, and food.
You lost me at "environment." Contrary to the advertising, the clubs are not a quiet refuge and do not provide a good place to work. They may be less teeming than the concourses, at some times, but they are not what they are cracked up to be. Think: mass occupancy.

Thoughts?
If you have never experienced the Sky Clubs, then you have an advantage. You never saw how good the Crown Rooms were before them, so you do not have a basis for comparison. Connect through ATL, buy a single entry pass, and sample the club for yourself. Don't be fooled by what the club may look like on off-peak hours.

Over the years, I have often had free access to the club. First as a Flying Colonel (before DL took away the "lifetime" membership that they had promised us). Then, as a PM (when PM was the highest medallion level and received free access). And, now, as a DM.

When I did not have free membership, I paid for it. But, that was before DL evolved (devolved?) the clubs into what they are now. I would have to ponder at length before deciding to pay for membership now.

Keep in mind that nothing the advertising suggests, and nothing that you see when you enter the club, is guaranteed to last. DL has demonstrated a willingness to downgrade amenities without notice and with recourse for the consumer. It is definitely a case where caveat emptor applies.
bgusto likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Finally! This is a fantastic and long overdue policy change. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
This may sound tongue in cheek but when I first paid for SC membership (before I became DM) I factored this in. I figured two trips per month so approx. 4layovers per month. In the airport I was going to the airport bar and buying - usually 2 but sometimes 3 drinks plus tip plus food. Lets use round numbers- 40$ per layover. Let us also assume only 3 layovers per month = 120$ per month - so 1440$ per year. Lets round down to 1000$ per year - now throw in free wifi - to me it was an absolute no brainer. I paid for SC membership in my FO, GM and PM days.

The definition of "worth" varies from person to person IMHO.
I'm still lowdown in the Medallion world and will be pushing hard a year from now to reach Diamond for 2019, so for now I consider my paying for the SC absolutely worth it just for my 1-2 drinks per visit. I haven't actually done the math like this, but even if I only drink $20-$30 worth a month, I'm still getting lounge access with my drinks. I find the SC's to have decent enough snacks, wifi is generally better than in the concourse, more places to plug-in, and usually more comfortable seating and it's a no-brainer for me.

I love Gin (hey I am a Brit) and agree the Amsterdam style is not pleasant and has an oily taste/texture . Not a fan - MUCH prefer the usual suspects .
I kind of like it, but I like plenty of other gins too. So unless they go to bathtub gin, I probably won't mind what they serve.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM for now

Thoughts?
As some in the thread have alluded to, this isn't exactly the golden age for Delta lounges. Things may not be what they used to be but you can't live in the past, so focusing on what SC's currently offer is the only way to determine whether or not they are right for your wallet. Generally, you're going to get a club that's a little less hectic than out in the concourse with more comfortable seating, more places to plug in, and functional wifi. Also, at least going by the thread here on FT, the food is getting better and of course you have a lot of complimentary drinks, both alcoholic and not. Yes, they often do get busy and quite crowded, but in my experience, if it's busy in the Skyclub, it's almost always worse out in the concourse.

The other factor to consider is what lounges are available at your typical airports. For me personally, my home airport (RNO) has no lounges at all and I always have a layover in SLC, which only has a SkyClub so I would have little opportunity to use a Centurion or PP lounge. They are worth considering though if you think you'll be able to use them each time you fly.
hi55us and bgusto like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.