Wiki Posts
Search

Why is there a SkyClub at SCL?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Part of the reason ive been flying LATAM to/from SCL lately. Nice generally quite lounge, and private immigration and security lanes that lead directly to the lounge. The SC at SCL is one of my least favorite lounges.
Yes, the LA SCL premium departure experience is pretty excellent. (But since I've got no LA status, and since quite a few of their SCL/BUE flights don't have a front cabin, AR was my only option with a front cabin at times that worked for me.) On the positive side, my AR flights posted to DL within a few days. On the even more positive side, my calorie intake was less than it would have been with LA lounge access.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... On the even more positive side, my calorie intake was less than it would have been with LA lounge access.
I love this silver lining attitude! I'll admit I've told myself the same thing in similar situations...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
I’m quite curious about this. What is the history of Delta in Chile? Apparently they used to have a call center and TechOps facility in Chile. Anyone know why?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamiestr
I’m quite curious about this. What is the history of Delta in Chile? Apparently they used to have a call center and TechOps facility in Chile. Anyone know why?
A guess on the TechOps would be a location for heavy maintenance. Since US-S American fights generally have 12+ hours on the ground before the return it's a good opportunity to clean or do some work .
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was in the SCL lounge recently and honestly didn't find it as bad as some others made it out to be. Its small and basically a room full of chairs, but was quiet. Pour your own liquor and wine selection is better than the DTW/MSP self serve skyclubs.
Food selection seems small at first, but noticed the restock and put out different offerings when something runs out... I saw rotations of jamon sandwiches, roast beef finger sandwich, beef empanada, ham&cheese croissant, and also a soup and 3 different kinds of single serve salads.

From walking around it seems other lounges have similar setups for space and offerings... I think the LA lounge is the only big one.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I also warmed to the SCL lounge after the initial shock of the smal square footage and dated decor. The Montes wine selections were appreciated and better than average, in particular. The snacks were limited, but what was there was pretty high quality at least - judging from the plastic wrap and Alessi dishes, they just steal random extra catering items from the Delta One catering to supply the lounge.

The shower was fine, too, although the fixtures were all weird. The shower head was roughly at shoulder height, and I managed to bash my knee on the outlet of an electric hand dryer inexplicably mounted at shin height :P

All in all, could be worse. AM does direct passengers to the Sky Club, so that’s at least one additional airline keeping the operation afloat...
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:24 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Honestly, the question should be why is SCL (and NRT (for now)) the only skyclubs outside of the US?

The practical answer is, I suppose, "there isn't a skyteam partner lounge at SCL for delta to mooch off of".
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Honestly, the question should be why is SCL (and NRT (for now)) the only skyclubs outside of the US?

The practical answer is, I suppose, "there isn't a skyteam partner lounge at SCL for delta to mooch off of".
NRT makes sense. It was a hub till recently and there's still number of flights. SCL and previously MNL always seemed weird.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pvn
That is the key question... and especially with the changes to SC membership coming on Jan 1st where you can't get into partner lounges anymore... so SC membership will only get you into actual Delta Skyclubs.

Its interesting the DL website lists SCL as not having a shower when they do have one shower bathroom. Maybe since its only 1 they don't want pax to think its there and find out there is a long wait.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
I visited this lounge last November and found it depressing. I'm also curious what's a reason of having a SkyClub at SCL, an outstation with so little DL presence. Overall Delta Chile operations leave a lot, a lot of room for improvements and the lounge is not exception.

I was flying to ATL and spent there 20 min prior to boarding. The lounge was full to the brim. It was basically a weird little space with all kind of furniture brought in with no particular idea/concept. There were old school ugly chairs (ala PDX or DTW SkyClubs), plus some modern and not comfortable to use white leather coaches. Plus some tables with bar top stools (also modern ala Lufthansa lounges). I can't imagine an other place where you can find such a mix. Because it was just a one room with no portioning it didn't make for a good quiet place either - with all people face timing and loudly speaking around.

Terrible place overall. I wouldn't recommend anyone to spend time there unless there are no other options.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by urww
I visited this lounge last November and found it depressing. I'm also curious what's a reason of having a SkyClub at SCL, an outstation with so little DL presence. Overall Delta Chile operations leave a lot, a lot of room for improvements and the lounge is not exception.
Again, this is the only Skyteam lounge @ SCL. AR has at least 5 flights a day. AM has a 787 every day. DL has its daily flight, I think AF does and not sure who else.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Again, this is the only Skyteam lounge @ SCL. AR has at least 5 flights a day. AM has a 787 every day. DL has its daily flight, I think AF does and not sure who else.
AR, AM, AF, AZ, G3 (non-ST partner), and KLM.

The lounges exists because it's profitable, and the only ST game in town.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:32 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
NRT makes sense. It was a hub till recently and there's still number of flights. SCL and previously MNL always seemed weird.
Does it "seem weird" that KLM has a lounge at IAH? That AF has a lounge at IAD or SFO? etc etc
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
Does it "seem weird" that KLM has a lounge at IAH? That AF has a lounge at IAD or SFO? etc etc
It’s just weird because no other airport other than SCL and NRT have SCs outside the US. IAD and SFO are huge markets so it makes since for AF to have their own lounge their but DL has hardly no non-US lounges.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
You put too much weight into SkyTeam. It's the only SkyTeam lounge in Santiago. It's the only SkyTeam lounge in Santiago. So what? If they close it down there would be other options in place. There are hundreds of airports with SkyTeam flights in and out where there is no a SkyTeam lounge. There are dozens of airports where SkyTeam airline A operates a lounge, but SkyTeam airline B directs their passengers to a partner lounge (and that's actually happening at SCL, at check in AR and AF direct their passengers to an airport lounge, not SkyClub).

I mean the fact that it's the only SkyTeam lounge in Santiago doesn't explain why it exists. There are probably a couple dozens of airports overseas with significantly heavier DL presence and without SkyClub in place.

I'm all in for a SkyClub in Santiago, why not? I just wish they would invest $30,000 in new furniture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.